Microsoft blocking boot to desktop in Windows 8

vbimport

Microsoft blocking boot to desktop in Windows 8.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-blocking-boot-to-desktop-in-windows-8-62998/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-blocking-boot-to-desktop-in-windows-8-62998/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

[B]Microsoft blocking boot to desktop in Windows 8[/B]

Well it looks like I’ll be blocking Windows 8 from booting on my PC’s desktop…

That’'s OK, I’ll be blocking Windows 8 from my life.

Sounds like their long term strategy hit an iceberg but they don’t yet realize the ship is sinking.

Great. In addition to using an alternate Explorer, an alternate Browser, we also use alternate Desktops now …

Wish people would be this vocal against all the b/s that congress and the rest of these dirty dog corporations try and force feed us

For businesses, I don’t see what incentive this will do to encourage them to upgrade, apart from reminding those running XP/Vista to get to Windows 7 while it’s still available. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, at least they haven’t crippled it as badly as I’ve seen with the Windows Phone. My brother use to have a Windows CE based phone, which I had some experience with. However, after trying out my Dad’s Windows Phone provided by its workplace, I find it a big step backwards apart from being designed for the non-tech user and to be touch-friendly. Unlike my Android phone, its SD card is securely locked to prevent direct access, files transfers need to sync’d through its buggy Zune (like iTunes for iPhone) and many other features are tied into its live cloud instead of directly accessible. Even its office Apps are cut-back compared to what I recall with Windows CE. Basically, I’m sure glad I went for an Android phone.

Screw Microsoft and Windows 8. I will no longer be dictated to as to what I can and cannot do with my computer. I stuck with Windows XP for as long as I could, and I’ll stay with Windows 7 until they realize how badly they f***ed up with Windows 8 and either remedy the situation or slide further into their swamp of stupidity and irrelevance (at which time I’ll evaluate non-Windows alternatives, which hopefully will be a lot more improved than they are today [Linux, as improved at it has become over the years, is still not a permanent alternative for me]).

@CharmedonWB: We are. We’re just vocal about it in the appropriate venues.

This is much ado about nothing. It you don’t want to be on the Start page, just press the Windows key and you will be taken to the desktop, where you can live all day if that’s what you want. No big deal.

People keep criticizing Microsoft for not innovating, and when they try to innovate, they get upset because the interface has changed. The Start page actually works very well. If you want to launch a program, just type the first letter or two of the program and it will appear on the screen. Click on the tile and you are in. If it is not a “Metro” app, it will open on the desktop. If you want it on the desktop, just create a shortcut in the normal way. If you want it on the taskbar, you can select this option from the start page.

Give it a chance!!!

Microsoft’s biggest enemy is Microsoft.

@blegs38552: Forcing people to use a touch screen UI in a non-touch screen environment is not “innovation,” no matter how you try to twist and stretch the word. It doesn’t matter that you “just have to press the Windows key” to get to the desktop: the point is that THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT WANT TO START AT THE START PAGE HAVE NO OPTION TO DO OTHERWISE. We are having unwanted crap forced on us, with no way to turn it off. We are having our choices taken away from us, little by little, thanks in no small part to apologists like yourself. You may not give a damn, but the rest of us do.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2648092]@blegs38552: Forcing people to use a touch screen UI in a non-touch screen environment is not “innovation,” no matter how you try to twist and stretch the word. It doesn’t matter that you “just have to press the Windows key” to get to the desktop: the point is that THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT WANT TO START AT THE START PAGE HAVE NO OPTION TO DO OTHERWISE. We are having unwanted crap forced on us, with no way to turn it off. We are having our choices taken away from us, little by little, thanks in no small part to apologists like yourself. You may not give a damn, but the rest of us do.[/QUOTE]By your logic, users of Windows 3.0 should have had the option to boot directly to a DOS prompt rather than to the Windows GUI of that time. I am using Windows 8 Release Preview on a 5 year old laptop which obviously is not a touch screen, and have no problem navigating around the Start screen. yes, there is a learning curve, but there was for people who had to click on an Icon in win 3.0 rather than type a command to launch a program. It is always your option not to upgrade and to continue to use Windows 7 9or are you still using windows 95 maybe?), but to call someone an apologist because they endorse a new paradigm rather than being stuck in the old one says nothing at all.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2648107]By your logic, users of Windows 3.0 should have had the option to boot directly to a DOS prompt rather than to the Windows GUI of that time. [/QUOTE]Hm. The box I had at my office, booted to the DOS prompt. I had to type “win” to run Windows then.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2648116]Hm. The box I had at my office, booted to the DOS prompt. I had to type “win” to run Windows then.

Michael[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

I’m never too sure about “innovation” and operating systems.

I don’t know that I’d ask for “more features” if I could have “better resource usage”, “faster services with more user control”, and “better security” instead of cool new whirly-gig icons and fancier themes to consume what’s-left-of-my-productive hours.

Oooh lookee, that’s Color #63,117! That’s so terrific!! What an innovation!!

Frankly, if they want REAL innovation, let’s have REAL downloads. Have food delivered on-line. Thru the Internet. THAT would be an innovation. “Why can’t we get Hire’s Root Beer anymore?!!”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2648140]I’m never too sure about “innovation” and operating systems.

I don’t know that I’d ask for “more features” if I could have “better resource usage”, “faster services with more user control”, and “better security” instead of cool new whirly-gig icons and fancier themes to consume what’s-left-of-my-productive hours.

Oooh lookee, that’s Color #63,117! That’s so terrific!! What an innovation!!

Frankly, if they want REAL innovation, let’s have REAL downloads. Have food delivered on-line. Thru the Internet. THAT would be an innovation. “Why can’t we get Hire’s Root Beer anymore?!!”[/QUOTE]
:bigsmile: LOL…good one :smiley:

@ Kerry56.
Are you saying CodePlex is not working on M§8 anymore (or for example if you go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer in regedit and then doubleclick {RPEnabled}. ?

Sorry, can’t check this because none of my family [except for my son] is running Windoze anymore. My son has run the evaluation M§8 for few months way back, and he liked this option…)

BTW. Posted from my W§7 box at work.

Pinto2, I wasn’t saying anything of the sort. I was just reporting on a story that hit the net. It is known that Microsoft was very busy ripping out old code from the operating system just weeks before releasing to manufacturers. Whether they did something to affect that particular example is beyond my knowledge.

Blegs, win 3.x did have the option. REM or delete the WIN command from autoexec.bat, since windows was nothing but a GUI application running in DOS. It was no O/S.

BTW, purchasing Windows is not an investment, it’s more like punishment :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2648092]@blegs38552: Forcing people to use a touch screen UI in a non-touch screen environment is not “innovation,” no matter how you try to twist and stretch the word. It doesn’t matter that you “just have to press the Windows key” to get to the desktop: the point is that THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT WANT TO START AT THE START PAGE HAVE NO OPTION TO DO OTHERWISE. We are having unwanted crap forced on us, with no way to turn it off. We are having our choices taken away from us, little by little, thanks in no small part to apologists like yourself. You may not give a damn, but the rest of us do.[/QUOTE]

What MS needs to understand is that what they want is secondary to what their customers want. They could easily make the Start button an option and also allow booting to the desktop. Why they don’t want to make this an option for those that want it is asinine, IMO. I have a Windows phone and I do not want Metro on my desktop machine. If they ram it down my throat then the next phone I buy will not have their operating system on it. If they go the route they are indicating it won’t only cost them in the desktop market. It will cost them dearly in the mobile OS market and they have enough problems there without creating more themselves.