Microsoft backtracks, extends XP availability to 2011

Computerworld - Just hours after a noted research analyst criticized Microsoft’s plans to limit sales of Windows XP PCs, the company said it would extend the aged operating system’s lifespan in the post-Windows 7 world to as late as April 2011.

Link: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9134528

:cool::cool:

That’s goes to tell you how far they forgot to under estimate the users of XP. Or else how badly Win7 aka Vista 2.0 is going badly in way of making a secure O/S.

Let’s not forget that netbooks/nettops are the trend right now, and they just don’t have the horsepower to run full blown editions Windows Vista or Windows 7.

However, performance running full-blown WinXP is great [relatively speaking], since these computers are closer to what XP was designed for, and people are happy to have better performance out of their shiny new device.

I don’t think Microsoft would bother extending XP were it not for that reason. [Maybe also because of how many people still use an XP computer at home and aren’t willing to upgrade, but…]

Windows XP should be a cash cow by this point. They still get well over $100/copy for the retail box and their R&D for it is nearly zero. For MS, it is the goose that keeps on laying golden eggs.

Windows should work with Mac, I know, it will probably never happen, but they would have such a huge hold over the mainstream market.

[QUOTE=pantsonfire;2296302]Windows should work with Mac[/QUOTE]

I think you meant OS X should work with PC… err, right?

[QUOTE=Albert;2294239]Let’s not forget that netbooks/nettops are the trend right now, and they just don’t have the horsepower to run full blown editions Windows Vista or Windows 7.

However, performance running full-blown WinXP is great [relatively speaking], since these computers are closer to what XP was designed for, and people are happy to have better performance out of their shiny new device.
[/QUOTE]

Netbooks are big sellers right now most use the Intel Atom CPU and run Windows XP Home, That is a big market unless Windows 7 comes out in a very lean version.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2296453]Netbooks are big sellers right now most use the Intel Atom CPU and run Windows XP Home, That is a big market unless Windows 7 comes out in a very lean version.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you…

There was talk of a cut down version of Windows 7 to run on netbooks. I forgot where I read it. 7 Beta looks promising; But so did Longhorn(LOL!!!).

The Windows 7 beta was wonderful, quick, responsive, everything that Vista should have been.
The release candidate is absolutely crap. It’s like vista, but more bloated, but without UAC. While my aging (3yr old) Quad Core PC with 4GB ram + 1TB HDD + 750+500+320GB+200+160GB HDD & HD2900 isn’t in quite the same league as current leading edge PC’s, it’s still well above the specs for most people buying PC’s, and W7-RC performance is embarrassing.

M$ have made a dedicated linux user out of me. If it wasn’t for occasional games and a few commercial programs that don’t have linux equivalents, I’d already be hanging out in linux full-time, and never look back.

M$ are heading in one direction, and the rest of the world in another.