Microsoft awards points to Edge users hoping it boosts usage

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft awards points to Edge users hoping it boosts usage[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/09/microsoft-edge-logo-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Users browsing with Microsoft’s new Edge browser are rewarded with bonus points. The program is similar to that for Bing, where users are awarded points when they search with Microsoft’s Bing search engine.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-awards-points-edge-users-hoping-boosts-usage-80239/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-awards-points-edge-users-hoping-boosts-usage-80239/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If I don’t get a gold star as well, I’m not interested.

Seriously, who uses their store? I’d even forgotten there was a Microsoft Store. As for Edge, it is supposed to be fast, but I can’t adjust its GUI to fit my needs, so hasta la vista.

Seriously, who uses their store? I’d even forgotten there was a Microsoft Store

I don’t need any points

Points does nothing to help something they don’t want to fix. What are they looking for brownie points or something??? :Z

If presenting a framework for converting Chrome plugins did not help, what will?

I do not use Microsoft for web at all and certainly not ‘Edge of oblivion’ :wink:

Typical Microsoft… introduce a feature nobody wants into one product, wait about ten seconds, and then start adding that feature to EVERYTHING. Look, Microsoft… nobody wants to be violated by your anti-privacy tactics. Likewise, nobody wants to use Edge, Bing, or your stupid app store. Trying to use one product nobody cares about to promote another product that nobody cares about is sure to result in nobody caring. Especially if they have to surrender what little privacy they have left. You can bend over, take your points, and cram them deep up there!

Don’t care about points, but Edge is my browser of choice. Simply because of its speed at rendering a web page.

[QUOTE=Dee;2779691]Don’t care about points, but Edge is my browser of choice. Simply because of its speed at rendering a web page.[/QUOTE]
Bad parts is the way they gone about it doesn’t help improve usage. Windows 10 for all it’s hype hasn’t been accepted as fast as Windows 7 not overtaken it’s market share. Edge is what it is edge of oblivion it hasn’t done much to improve or get more people onto Windows 10. We can talk all day how good it it but at the end of the day Windows 10 is on the market share of Windows 8 and XP is still kicking around. For being supposedly replacement it is being replaced by XP and Windows 7 again by it’s own failures-nothing to do with users.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2779697]Bad parts is the way they gone about it doesn’t help improve usage. Windows 10 for all it’s hype hasn’t been accepted as fast as Windows 7 not overtaken it’s market share. Edge is what it is edge of oblivion it hasn’t done much to improve or get more people onto Windows 10. We can talk all day how good it it but at the end of the day Windows 10 is on the market share of Windows 8 and XP is still kicking around. For being supposedly replacement it is being replaced by XP and Windows 7 again by it’s own failures-nothing to do with users.[/QUOTE]

I think Dee makes a good point isolated in this case as the rendering engine is speedy.

Personally as I’ve said numerous times, I do not use Microsoft’s offerings for browsing the net and have not done so since Windows XP. This is anchored in security (IE, worlds largest web browser) and privacy (Edge). I even have both browsers shut off from the net in my firewall to make sure they can’t access the net should any of them get called from another application.

I do use them both though, but solely for offline browsing old sites I have offlined through the years (Infocom and others that were popular in the late '90s but long gone from the net by now).

I really couldn’t care less what anyone else chooses to use, that’s their choice, be that the web browser or the OS.

I like Win 10 and Edge, and that’s what matters to me, as it’s me that is using it. At the end of the day, which OS and which browser is best is only a matter of personal opinion.

As for take up figures for Win 10 vs Win 7. I take a pragmatic approach, and in my opinion you have three and perhaps more distinct type of users.

1, Those that have tried Win 10 over an extended period and love it.
2, Those who have tried Win 10 over an extended period and hate it, and have gone back to Win 7.
3, Those who have tried Win 10, and simply because its different to use than Win 7, and doesn’t seem familiar go back to Win 7. And then they bitch about how Win 10 is the devil in disguise. :stuck_out_tongue:

To each their own, stick with what you like.

I am in the No. 1 camp. I love it.

I’m in the 1½ camp:

1½ Those that have tried Win 10 and have accepted it, but are annoyed by some things like e.g. spying and forced updates.

I use Edge very little because it lacks some things that I can have in Firefox (Plugins) or Chrome (Google Cast), but I do use it occasionally for simple things.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2779708]I’m in the 1½ camp:

1½ Those that have tried Win 10 and have accepted it, but are annoyed by some things like e.g. spying and forced updates.

I use Edge very little because it lacks some things that I can have in Firefox (Plugins) or Chrome (Google Cast), but I do use it occasionally for simple things.[/QUOTE]

No [B]1.5[/B] camp. Either you closer to the Number [B]1 [/B]camp or closer to the Number [B]2[/B] camp, dragons cant have it both ways.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2779726]No [B]1.5[/B] camp. Either you closer to the Number [B]1 [/B]camp or closer to the Number [B]2[/B] camp, dragons cant have it both ways.[/QUOTE] Oh yes we can have a fractional camp… many camps find themselves fractional after encountering a dragon! :cool:

I gave Edge a go for a week or so and it was fine up until I discovered there’s no facility for managing favourites so I went back to IE and Firefox.

I’ll probably give it another go though when Microsoft eventually get their act together but it’s too unfinished for me ATM.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2779740]I gave Edge a go for a week or so and it was fine up until I discovered there’s no facility for [B]managing favourites [/B]so I went back to IE and Firefox.
[/QUOTE]I use Edge Manager for managing the Edge favourites.
http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

[QUOTE=Dee;2779751]I use Edge Manager for managing the Edge favourites.
http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dee. :flower:

That actually looks pretty useful but TBH I’m happy enough with IE so I’ll probably just wait until they’ve added that functionality (which I understand is already part of Microsoft’s development plan).

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Dee;2779751]I use Edge Manager for managing the Edge favourites.
http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html[/QUOTE]

I just read the update notes from the program you mentioned and it seems with the new Anniversary Update its a bit different

Anniversary Update

The Anniversary Update to Windows 10, that became available on the 2nd of August 2016, has included many new features in Edge that were previously only available in EdgeManage. So, they are trying to put me out of business (but, hey… that’s a good thing!). Edge now has native support for:

Displaying favorites in a full tree view
Sorting favorites

More reason not to use edge giving points just so people will use Edge is being very disingenuous people have the right to choose what Browser they use not what Microsoft Bing want us to use.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2779805]More reason not to use edge giving points just so people will use Edge is being very disingenuous people have the right to choose what Browser they use not what Microsoft Bing want us to use.[/QUOTE]

That is a good point coolcolors, a program should excel at its own usefulness, not by issuing points to users for using an inferior program :iagree:
As I noted above, it is a very swift offline browser and I enjoy it even more than IE for the most, still I will have to resort to IE and maybe even compatibility mode for some sites.