Microsoft argues Windows 8 failed due to culture of secrecy

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft argues Windows 8 failed due to culture of secrecy[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]

Joe Belfiore, in charge of Windows at Microsoft, has stated that Windows 8 never became popular because secrecy was the dominant cultural theme in Microsoft at the time the operating system was developed.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-argues-windows-8-failed-due-to-culture-of-secrecy-75965/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-argues-windows-8-failed-due-to-culture-of-secrecy-75965/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’d say it failed due to a culture of arrogance.

Microsoft knew better than everybody else including their users, so they didn’t have to listen to anyone regarding Windows 8, and they tried to cram it down their users’ throats. A lot of people were not thrilled.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2753367]I’d say it failed due to a culture of arrogance.[/QUOTE]

I would add an equal amount of greed along with the arrogance. They tried to push an OS model that first and foremost was meant to take money out of the users’ wallets by changing the way they use their software. If W10 does the same then it will also be a failure.

Windows millenium was an epic failure because of immature driver support and instability.
Windows Vista was a partial failure because of too high hardware requirements.
Windows 8 was a partial failure because of too much GUI changes and arrogant banish of consolidated method/tools ( aka start menu ).

If the commercial and marketing doesn’t learn with previous fiascos well …
Maybe someday Microsoft understand that the final user doesn’t like constant changing in the GUI.

"If the commercial and marketing doesn’t learn with previous fiascos well …
Maybe someday Microsoft understand that the final user doesn’t like constant changing in the GUI. "

Interestingly they’ve recyled a very, very old GUI, and yes it too was a phenominal failure.

I do agree with you, Microsoft’s arrogance and stupidity seem to be without rival.

Maybe if Microsoft didn’t spend so much time infighting between themselves they’d be able to take the blinders off and see the big picture. Belfiore’s assertion is just embarrassing and speaks to just how blind huge organizations can become to their users. Sounds like Microsoft is way passed due for a purifying fire to clear out the underbrush.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2753380]"If the commercial and marketing doesn’t learn with previous fiascos well …
Maybe someday Microsoft understand that the final user doesn’t like constant changing in the GUI. "

Interestingly they’ve recyled a very, very old GUI, and yes it too was a phenominal failure.

I do agree with you, Microsoft’s arrogance and stupidity seem to be without rival.[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile: Amazing comparison …

That Open Source idea mentioned in another Myce article sounds like a real winner; anyone with the appropriate skills/tools who doesn’t like Windows can simply design their own veriosn.

Windows 8 failed for the simple reason that it was a steaming turd.

it seems they don’t learn from their past mistakes…ME,Vista, etc.

Had to check my calendar to see if it was April 1, again
Once I realised it wasn’t, I fell off my chair laughing
On a more dour note I was one of the people who wanted a start menu, a proper one, like before and before that etc
As for learning from their past mistakes…they haven’t, yet

The user interface of Windows 8/8.1 is just completely counter intuitive. I don’t think the “engine” of Windows 8 is too bad, but making it so hard to use has been its downfall. No start menu, tiles you can’t arrange alphabetically, and are either too small to see or too large you’re always scrolling. The constant flipping from one type of desktop to another depending on what application you fire up, and the fact that the native Windows apps just look and behave like a cartoon parody of the real thing. The Windows 8 ethos of why use one mouse click when five will do, adds to the frustration. Windows 8 failed because it made people work harder to perform the most basic of tasks when compared to Windows 7.

One other reason to add is hardware compatibility issues, specifically hardware that one would expect to work such as keyboards and Wi-Fi.

The Wi-Fi issue can occur either when the computer boots or comes out of sleep, where it shows the Wi-Fi as available but cannot connect. Generally, disabling and re-enabling the adapter gets it connected, until the laptop goes to sleep.

I’ve seen the keyboard issue on some Acer and Toshiba computers where when the computer is booted using “Fast boot”, the keyboard does not respond until it is unplugged and plugged back in. With a laptop, it needs to be rebooted. Disabling “Fast boot” generally gets around this issue with a side effect that Windows 8 must do a full boot when powered on.

Although I haven’t seen these issues on fairly new computers apart from the keyboard issue on one Acer PC, I would imagine these issues discourage users of older computers from upgrading to Windows 8.1 when they encounter other people with these problems.

For example, if IT support technicians for a large company are having keyboard and Wi-Fi issues with their personal/home computers after upgrading to Windows 8.1, I can just imagine those technicians daunting about IT headaches of similar issues when discussions arise within the workplace about moving to Windows 8.1…

There is an old saying that states: “Any damned fool can learn from their own mistakes”

This causes us to ponder what kind of exceptional fool it takes to not learn from any of their mistakes?

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Micro$oft = money machine

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2753602]There is an old saying that states: “Any damned fool can learn from their own mistakes”

This causes us to ponder what kind of exceptional fool it takes to not learn from any of their mistakes?

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.[/QUOTE]

After “x” failures the fool is fired and a “new” fool is hired to make the same mistakes again. Corporate policy to blame the wrong person by the problems.

The Windows 8 launch was a failure, beceaue people were ripped of their desktop.

It’s better than all the Windows versions before it. It has a smaller footprint, is more stable and extremely versatile. It just has this horrible horrible desktop that people were not used to.

People do not like changes in things they spent years trying to get used to. Most people do not even care how it looks like, as long as it works. And work it does. Thank Zeus that you can get rid of that horrible tablet desktop.

Microsoft learned just a little bit from it by sharing very early on how Windows 10 will look like.

Whoever decided that a server environment (Windows Server 2012) should use the same tablet desktop environment is a complete moron. Servers will never be tablets. It works, but why should i use so much desktop clicks to get to my standard management tasks?

IMO, another reason W8 took the form it did was MS’s attempt to lure people to use Windows Phone for their mobile devices by forcing them to use it on laptop and desktop computers. It backfired horribly and probably set them back a decade in the pursuit of mobile phone market share.

I find this amusing and just plain “Foot in Mouth” Disease. They never listened to the test and previewers and RC testers instead calling them dumb would figure would cause this problem.