Microsoft announces prices for their x86 Surface tablets

vbimport

Available sometime in January, the Surface x86 tablets will come in two flavors. One will have 64gb of storage, the other will have 128 gb.

The price definitely puts them in a very expensive range for tablets, as the 64gb version will cost $899 and the 128gb version will be $999. And neither will come with a keyboard or cover of any type. Those will be sold separately.

There are some significant upgrades compared to the Surface RT. The x86 versions will, of course, be able to run regular Windows compatible programs. They will also have a higher resolution screen…full HD 1920 x 1080, and with the Display MiniPort, it can drive an external display up to 2560 x 1440.

Surface x86 comes with one USB 3 port, a Surface Pen, and a microSDXC card slot.

This is a full fledged computer in a very small form, but I can’t help thinking that the price will put this in a very small niche market. Perhaps I’m wrong about that, and businesses will flock to it, but for individuals, I can’t see enough incentive to move from their iPads to the Surface.

The announcement from Microsoft can be seen here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/11/29/next-up-for-the-surface-family-surface-with-windows-8-pro-pricing.aspx