Microsoft announces availability of Windows 8.1 – get it if you can

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft announces availability of Windows 8.1 – get it if you can[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/10/myce-windows8-1-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft just announced the availability of Windows 8.1, the big update to Windows 8. Only existing Windows 8 users can find the free update in the Windows Store, tomorrow the update will become available for new devices and at retail locations.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-announces-availability-of-windows-8-1-get-it-if-you-can-69193/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-announces-availability-of-windows-8-1-get-it-if-you-can-69193/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

No start menu. No Aero. No retaining installed programs when updating from Windows 7. Ribbons everywhere. Tell me again how this is an “upgrade.” A crap sandwich that’s been heated in a microwave is still a crap sandwich.

“A crap sandwich that’s been heated in a microwave is still a crap sandwich.”

At least a heated crap sandwich melts in your mouth. Windows 8.1 won’t even do that…

[QUOTE=Grim107;2704845]At least a heated crap sandwich melts in your mouth. Windows 8.1 won’t even do that…[/QUOTE]I’m not putting a crap sandwich anywhere near my mouth, so I’ll take your word for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Using Win 8.1 now.
No problems with the update.

Just put 8.1 on my test rig and I love it. :wink:

It’s now installed on my laptop, but ran into a few hiccups.

After it finished installing, it could not connect to my Wi-Fi, so I decided to reboot. When I rebooted I got a BSOD. When I rebooted again, it started up fine with the Wi-Fi working.

For anyone curious, this is what a Windows 8.1 BSOD looks like, which from what I recall looks unchanged from Windows 8:

The second hiccup is IE11 related, which someone else also asked me to confirm. Most of the post editor toolbar options and smileys don’t work on this forum when using the enhanced editor interface.

For anyone affected, you’ll need to change your editor to the standard editor (Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface) or use another web browser for Myce.

Hopefully that’s just a one off hiccup, but will see as I start using it.

[QUOTE=Seán;2704867]For anyone affected, you’ll need to change your editor to the standard editor (Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface) or use another web browser for Myce.

Hopefully that’s just a one off hiccup, but will see as I start using it.[/QUOTE]

It’s an incompatiblity issue with IE11,not a IE bug…XENFORO patched their forum software already on the 25th of september :clap:
I don’t understand why the guys of VBulletin still have this issue open…:bigsmile:

cough Chrome cough. I don’t understand why anyone is still using IE, I’ve been an incredible fan of Chrome for a long time now. I’m a bit of a power user I guess, I do web development and all my devices are synced so I have my history and favorites available everywhere and use a number of extensions.

I’m also using Opera, Firefox and IE for testing and from these browsers I have to say that I only really dislike IE. It’s pretty fast but it feels ancient…

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2704869]cough Chrome cough. I don’t understand why anyone is still using IE, I’ve been an incredible fan of Chrome for a long time now. I’m a bit of a power user I guess, I do web development and all my devices are synced so I have my history and favorites available everywhere and use a number of extensions.

I’m also using Opera, Firefox and IE for testing and from these browsers I have to say that I only really dislike IE. It’s pretty fast but it feels ancient…[/QUOTE]

No poweruser here,but I have a Chrome sibling installed…but I wonder what comes in 2014 for Chrome and Firefox,as their plugins system needs a total rewrite:LINK

IE may feel outdated,but if you check the report on THIS PAGE ,you’d be surprised…and that’s from IE10…:bigsmile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Had no problems with Win 8.1 update.
PC + Laptop. :cool:

I user Opera & Comodo Dragon (Chrome clone). :eek:

[QUOTE=Seán;2704867]The second hiccup is IE11 related, which someone else also asked me to confirm. Most of the post editor toolbar options and smileys don’t work on this forum when using the enhanced editor interface.[/QUOTE]
I just installed a patch from the vBulletin developers that’s supposed to fix IE11 detection. Due to the lack of IE11 I cannot test this myself, so any feedback is appreciated.

I installed the Windows 8.1 update on my work PC this morning while it was quiet. The download went a lot quicker (took just over 20 minutes) and the only hitch during the installation was a roaming profile sync error when it reached the desktop. After a reboot, this resolved itself.

A quick test of IE11 and it kept displaying:

After unsuccessfully trying a few other sites, it then had threw up a message asking if I would like to make Internet Explorer 11 the browser built for Windows 8 my default browser. Well, certainly not after this anyway. :disagree:

After a quick check through its add-ons, the only one that was enabled was Skype. After disabling this, IE11 started working again. After a quick check here, the enhanced editor mode unfortunately is not working even after Liggy’s patch.

My main browser for browsing is Firefox and for debugging HTML/CSS is Chrome. I only use IE and Opera for testing.

I’ve added an IE specific header that seems to have fixed the issue for now in IE11.

Basically it puts IE11 into IE10 emulation while browsing this forum, which should do for now.

This is a stupid question slightly off topic.
Why are you guys wanting to load Windows 8/8.1 in to your rigs. I can understand Dee and others need to evaluate it for our benefit, but why are the rest of you using it? I find Windows 7 perfect for the job and I wouldn’t spend the time or money on an OS that as far as I’m concerned is inferior. and just released by Microsoft far too early just to make money.
Yes I have tried 8 and 8.1. It seems Microsoft has removed everything I like to use every day. I’ll stick with 7 until I have no choice.

I’m curious what “upgrades” have been implemented in 8.1.

I’m also curious who actually has an account on the Microsoft app store …

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2705100]Why are you guys wanting to load Windows 8/8.1 in to your rigs [/QUOTE]

Because it was only 29.95 fot the PRO version when introduced…:bigsmile:…and I can make it look and almost behave like the 149.99 € windows 7 Pro OEM…
What can I say,I’m a bargain hunter…:bigsmile:

Somewhat off topic. [QUOTE=roadworker;2704876]…
IE may feel outdated,but if you check the report on THIS PAGE ,you’d be surprised…and that’s from IE10…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Please, don’t mix apples with oranges. :disagree:
Mozilla, Chrome, a.s.o. are linux/ andriod developed browsers. Why should M$ support them…
BTW, latest Firefox runs well under W7 pro on my burning box. Never had a virus or malware although I’m a heavy torrent [pron adds] downloader. :smiley:
/off topic.

In our familly we only have one M$ W8 box (my sons Sony vaio W8 laptop from university). He is not at all satisfied with the 8.1 update and IE 11. Browser lockups, sudden WiFi disconnects, thrusted websites blockings, you name it… :confused:

But then, M$ OS whatever doesn’t effects our families smartphones, tablets and laptops. They are all android or linux. :flower:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2705107]Because it was only 29.95 fot the PRO version when introduced…:bigsmile:…and I can make it look and almost behave like the 149.99 € windows 7 Pro OEM…
What can I say,I’m a bargain hunter…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :bow::clap::bigsmile::iagree:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2705100]This is a stupid question slightly off topic.
Why are you guys wanting to load Windows 8/8.1 in to your rigs. I can understand Dee and others need to evaluate it for our benefit, but why are the rest of you using it? I find Windows 7 perfect for the job and I wouldn’t spend the time or money on an OS that as far as I’m concerned is inferior. and just released by Microsoft far too early just to make money.
Yes I have tried 8 and 8.1. It seems Microsoft has removed everything I like to use every day. I’ll stick with 7 until I have no choice.[/QUOTE]

There are some things in Windows 8.1 that Windows 7 does not yet have. Most Windows 8.1 users here already have copies of Windows 7 as well. I can always go back to Windows 7 or have a separate PC running Windows 7 only. Having a Windows 8.1 PC in addition does not hurt even if for tests and for fun. For work, I use Windows 7 primarily, but that’s mainly because of compatibility and compatibility problems always arise with every new major version of Windows OS.

I don’t miss “Start” button. What I do miss is some kind of tools for organizing and managing files and applications that were as simple-structured and intutive and customizable as NCD and MDIR of MS-DOS days. I have no objection to Windows marketplace introduced to Windows PC. What I do want is the kind of proliferation and the rates of growth that happened during the early years of iOS. Windows became to dominant OS not because Bill Gates was greedier than Steve Jobs and some former IBM CEO’s, but because there were more inexpensive applications and contents for MS-DOS and Windows than any other competing operating system. That’s where Google and Apple will compete against Microsoft. Others like Samsung and Sony and Linux will all try, again and again, but only Google and Apple have been able to maintain the kind of growth rates and the mass in ecosystems and profits. Borland, Lotus Development, Yahoo, Netscape, IBM, AT&T, Xerox, Word Perfect, Novell, Oracle, Sun, Nokia, RIM, Mitsubishi, NEC… and thousands of others have once or twice tried.

Which of the two OS between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to use is not much relevant if you have no wish to use future generations of touch screen and other new sorts of hardware along with Microsoft proprietary ecosystem based on Windows marketplace apps and contents. Windows 7 has always been there. Windows 8 was designed when Microsoft’s share price and profits seemed threatened by Apple since PC sales was not just slowing down, but actually diminishing every year, and Apple and Google were trying to merge PC and mobile. Nobody would want to use word processors available in iPhone in 2013 to replace Word for Windows. But that was exactly what Apple and Google wanted to make happen. Microsoft has so far made little progress. But none out of the thousands wanting the same pie made much progress in the same time span. PCs running Windows 8.1 of today is so much more useful than some of the fourth- or fifth-generation Samsung smartphones running Windows Mobile 6. It’ll become hundreds of times more useful someday.

Lack of touch panels and lack of killer apps at the Windows marketplace do not bother me too much. I can wait 10 years for that.

Anyway, I still can’t see why MyCE should have a Windows 8 forum when there are like 499,900 Windows 7 admirers and 100 Windows 8.0/8.1 betatesters. This has been the least productive, the least contributive place on MyCE. I understand and respect people’s need to spam the net world with negative messages to attack certain targets, but I feel it does more harm to MyCE than to Microsoft.