Microsoft and Symantec take down Bamital botnet

I just posted the article Microsoft and Symantec take down Bamital botnet.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-and-symantec-take-down-bamital-botnet-66082/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-and-symantic-take-down-bamital-botnet-66082/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Those who are infected with this particular malware will now be redirected to a site showing a message from Microsoft and Symantic informing them that their computer has been infected. Both companies are offering free tools for removal of the malware.”

The problem with this is that people will write malware leading to pages that mimic this Microsoft one for scareware purposes.

^Yes, this sort of redirect to sites that are supposedly run by trusted companies has been used in the past by malware authors.

I’m sure the irony is not lost on Microsoft and Symantic, but there doesn’t seem to be a better alternative.

Truth be told, that’s probably the best solution. It’s either that, or have Microsoft/Symantic attempt to track down the infected, and attempt to hack these computers and destroy the virus in secret. If they did that, how would they really be any different than the makers of malware?

Actually, I suppose what they’re doing isn’t that different, but still…

Isn’t it spelled “Symantec”?

Just sayin’. :slight_smile:

^Hey! At least I was consistent. :slight_smile:

It’ll be interesting to see if this is a persistent message or just a once off.

If it persistently appears, suspicious users will probably consider this itself to be a scam and a few searches should make it clear that this is a genuine message. Even if it means they pay a PC repair centre, that repair shop should hopefully be familiar with the virus.

On the other hand if it’s a once off or with a “Do not show this message again” tick-box, there’s a good chance many users will just close the Windows thinking it’s another scareware scam.