Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360

vbimport

I just posted the article Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360.

There are many sites on the internet describing a typical Xbox 360 problem: the console scratches game discs. Some users are reporting that the scratches were enough to make their game…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13225-Microsoft-admits-scratch-problem-with-Xbox-360.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13225-Microsoft-admits-scratch-problem-with-Xbox-360.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It’s a great system it just needs a revision to work out all of its problems. Sign the petition to recall 360 so it may have it bugs worked out. http://www.petitiononline.com/360recal/petition-sign.html?

Nice to see this issue being picked up by more news sites.

MS saying that it is possible that there is a scratch problem with SOME units is a far cry from saying the MS admits that all 360’s have scratch issues like the title implies (“it is a typcial 360 problem?”). Not that some units don’t have a scratching problem but all my friends with 360’s don’t have this problem, I don’t have this problem, and I have never heard of anyone having this problem playing over Live. with over 10 million units sold and the fact that it has really just now gotten some headlines mean it is probably a very small problem. I believe MS when they say they will look into because when my launch 360 died I had a new one on my doorstep in just 4 business days! Just because a Dutch television program says that they have one console that scratched a disc means nothing. There are a lot of questions: did they just test one random unit or several (even if they tested several that is hardly a representative sample)? Test it in both vertical and horizontal? Or is there bias of any sort (tampering, etc.)? A garbage study but instead of ignoring this single test altogether MS has said they would look into it, respectable enough for a large company. There is a lot of cooky stuff that goes on with these game companies, I remember Sony got caught doing propaganda sites, forums postings, and videos for the PS3. Who knows if this story is even real, or if someone is on somebody’s payroll. Paranoid I know but you can’t just take everything to heart you read on the internet. Another possibility might be I am an American 360 owner, maybe a bad batch of DVD Drives got shipped to the UK? Or maybe this problem is within normal fault rates of that class of DVD drive? Still nothing unusual.

Kmach, “more than 10 million units sold”? I think its around 5 million units…

I live in Norway, and my 360 har ruined two games (disc read error), and made scratches in almost every other game I have bought. Three times I have tried to contact Microsofts customer service, and after five minutes in their phone queue I have been told to leave my name, phone number and a description of the problem. No response. Not for months. I have also tried their contact form online, but I doubt I will have more luck with it. It seems to me that they are simply not willing to deal with this problem

The only problem I have seen with scratched discs is when people lift or move the xbox 360 while a disc in the drive is playing, something that MS warns against in the manual. People that have their discs scratched that way should not blame the system or MS.

This story is about the fact that Microsoft has admitted that even when the system is not moved, on a stable, 100% flat table (and a 20 cm concrete studio floor) and after only five hours of playtime, it still damages and scratches discs. Which seems to be caused by a flawed DVD-ROM drive that is missing parts that keep the discs stable. This is not about consoles that are worn out, treated badly or are moved when playing a game.

Well you can always use back up copy … WHAT ? you can’t ? it’s copy protected ? Well here you see great case for copy protections and DRM , don’t you ?

Trust M$ use to use shoddy DVD-ROM components. The more rabid anti-M$ types will probably claim M$ did this on purpose to sell more game discs.

Hypnosis4U2NV, not sure what you refer to but MS has sold about 11 million 360 units. My friend at work fixed his own 360, it was having trouble booting games, he keeps saying how incredibly cheap & crappy the DVD drive mechanism is on the 360. He can’t believe they use it for something so critical. My 360 reminds me of my Toyota Camry, nice-ish looking, but full of cheap flimsy plasitc parts !
This message was edited at: 17-04-2007 16:05

Good, now Microsoft only has to admit their other mistake…Windows! :X

In response to kmach or anyone thinking similar: I saw the actual broadcasts of Kassa that involved the XBox360. Yes, it’s real. Yes, it does affect a couple of thousand people. Try this link: http://kassa.vara.nl/portal?_scr=kassa_artikel&number=3233237 It gives you a nice english summary, plus links to english subtitled video fragments of Kassa.

“The only problem I have seen with scratched discs is when people lift or move the xbox 360 while a disc in the drive is playing, something that MS warns against in the manual. People that have their discs scratched that way should not blame the system or MS.” Yeah, I’m sure people are dumb enough to actuall do that dipshit. Being the owner of several disc using systems I’d have to say Microsoft is at fault as they could have easily prevented this. If discs get scratched when the console is not being moved it is not the fault of the owner. Damn every response has to have to jerk-off Microsoft employee saying “Read the manual, it’s the onwer’s fault not microsoft” Got some news for you Rav, it is M$'s problem and instead of spreading bullshit like this you should be helping them fix it you jackass. Gamer out

I have gone through 4 halo 3 discs and my xbox has scratched them and now my xbox cannot read the discs im tired of wasting money

i have a new xbox 360 made 23-05-2006 and my cd drive is making rings on my cds i was wondering how to fix the problem ? :c

Well my xbox has now gone through two copies of oblivion, dead or alive 4 and gears of war, Microsoft better fix this problem, I plan to get the xbox replaced under warranty and only gonna worry about replacing gears of war :frowning: , damn microsoft, disapointed in the 360 and Halo 3 (Halo 2s twin)…

LIVE IN FLORIDA AND IN THE PAST COUPLE MONTHS ANY GAME I BUY FOR MY 360 GETS TOTALLY SCRATCHED UP. I KNOW IT’S FROM MY XBOX CUZ THEY BOTH HAVE CIRCULAR SCRATCHES ON THEM. mY 360 WAS LEVEL. I TRIED HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL PLAY. bOTH INEFFECTIVE. RAIN BOW 6 VEGAS AND HALO3 ARE TOAST. THEY READ THAT XBOX 360 DOESNT READ THEM AS GAMES, BUT DVD’S. WTF! DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT FIXING OR REPLACING MY 360? :frowning:

I JUST HAD AN X-BOX 360 THAT I RETURNED TO BEST BUY BECAUSE IT SCRATCHED MY HALO3. THEY TOLD ME TO GO ON MICROSOFT SO THEY CAN REPLACE MY HALO 3. SO CAN YOU GUYS REPLACE MY HALO 3 THAT WAS SCRATCHED BY THE X-BOX 360?

we have an xbox 360 unit from dec 2007 and it has now put rings on 2 brand new games. i contacted microsoft as soon as it happened to the first game. there technical support person told us to put the second game in and see what happens. we were reluctant to do this because it may scratch the 2nd game and they told us to do it. they also told us that they would replace the 2nd disc if it scratched it. well…it scratched it and we had to fight with them and are still fighting with them to get it replaced!! their customer service is horrible. it is clearly a manufacturing defect and they will not even stand behind their product. but i won’t give up! :frowning: