Microsoft adds Windows 10 advertising on Internet Explorer 11 that can’t be uninstalled

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft adds Windows 10 advertising on Internet Explorer 11 that can’t be uninstalled[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/04/myce-internet-explorer-11-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Yesterday’s Patch Tuesday security update for Internet Explorer 11 also contains another attempt of Microsoft to convince users to upgrade to Windows 10. The update adds a banner to IE11 on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 asking users to upgrade to Windows 10 and can’t be uninstalled separately.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-adds-windows-10-advertising-on-internet-explorer-11-that-cant-be-uninstalled-78814/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-adds-windows-10-advertising-on-internet-explorer-11-that-cant-be-uninstalled-78814/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well, then, it’s a good thing I don’t use IE11. Microsoft will get my Windows 7 when they pry it from my cold, dead hard drive. Forget Windows 10, and forget Microsoft. (Kindly substitute the F-bomb in place of the word “forget” to know my true feelings on the subject.)

I haven’t run Microsoft Updates on my Windows 7 installation since July 2015 because Microsoft started down this road of forcing Windows 10 down users’ throats.

The reason for installing updates is to prevent bad things happening to your system, but when the updates themselves pose a bigger risk than being infected from (other) sites on the Internet, stopping updates seems the better choice.

I will eventually update my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but it will be at a time of [B]my[/B] choosing, not dictated by the bullies at Microsoft.

Updates can go wrong, they can stall, your system could end up not bootable, or you could lose the ability to run important software that is incompatible with Windows 10. Microsoft wants to force Windows 10 on everyone, which makes them responsible for any bad thing that happens during upgrading, but they would of course never actually take responsibility for those bad things happening.

I’ve upgraded another system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it took some googling and some non-intuitive operations to get the upgrade process to get past a couple of stalled states. So I’m not just speaking of problems I read on teh intarwebs.

How many people, who get their pc’s fubared during a forced Windows 10 upgrade, will simply decide to give Microsoft the finger and go buy an Apple computer that “just works” ?

So, it’s pretty much impossible to get rid of the banner in IE11 that recommends to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft is becoming more and more aggressive in convincing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to its latest OS.
Now that’s odd I don’t see it? What site does it pop on? I have to check with the latest update but don’t recall seeing it. Maybe it’s because I use the Regedit: DisableWindows10 and DisableGwx - that it kills Win10 nags.

Post #9 Try it and tell me if it kills the IE nags…cause I don’t see it?

I stopped updating Windows 7 several months ago. Nothing bad has happened yet. No Devils hand has come out of my screen to pull me in. :slight_smile:

I installed Win10 on my old PC and tweaked it to death so far. Now looks like win7 and it does what I want. Never used IE since XP days. FIREFOX! is my Browser.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2769824]
I will eventually update my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but it will be at a time of [B]my[/B] choosing, not dictated by the bullies at Microsoft.
[/QUOTE]
Here here. :clap::iagree:

It seems likely that Microsoft will have to extend the free upgrade period, perhaps indefinitely. As things stand Windows 10 [I]might[/I] be a usable OS, but it certainly isn’t a pleasant working environment. And until there are substantial changes, for me it shall remain a little used VM.

And should Windows 10 ever ‘magically appear’ as a background download on any of my computers, I shall be invoicing Microsoft for bandwidth & storage fees.

I would also raise the matter of the [I][B]Computer Misuse Act 1990[/B][/I], specifically:

[I][B]3. Unauthorised acts with intent to impair, or with recklessness as to impairing, operation of computer, etc.

3ZA. Unauthorised acts causing, or creating risk of, serious damage[/B][/I]

Those section headings seem to describe many users’ experience of Windows 10 rather well. :iagree::stuck_out_tongue:

Glad I don;t use IE…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2769824]I haven’t run Microsoft Updates on my Windows 7 installation since July 2015 because Microsoft started down this road of forcing Windows 10 down users’ throats.

The reason for installing updates is to prevent bad things happening to your system, but when the updates themselves pose a bigger risk than being infected from (other) sites on the Internet, stopping updates seems the better choice.

Updates can go wrong, they can stall, your system could end up not bootable, or you could lose the ability to run important software that is incompatible with Windows 10. Microsoft wants to force Windows 10 on everyone, which makes them responsible for any bad thing that happens during upgrading, but they would of course never actually take responsibility for those bad things happening.

I’ve upgraded another system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it took some googling and some non-intuitive operations to get the upgrade process to get past a couple of stalled states. So I’m not just speaking of problems I read on teh intarwebs.

How many people, who get their pc’s fubared during a forced Windows 10 upgrade, will simply decide to give Microsoft the finger and go buy an Apple computer that “just works” ?[/QUOTE]

I am a little uncertain, but if I am not mistaken Microsoft started to change Windows 7 towards 10 already in the spring of 2015 (do not recall when).

If you’d like, check if you have one or more of these earlier updates on your system:

[B]KB2990214[/B] Update to enable the user to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows.
[B]KB2977759[/B] Compatibility update for Windows 7 RTM (performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program.)
[B]KB2976987[/B] Telemetry update for Windows 7
[B]KB2952664[/B] Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

They are of course nowhere near as serious as later updates, but nevertheless a part of it all.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769845]I am a little uncertain, but if I am not mistaken Microsoft started to change Windows 7 towards 10 already in the spring of 2015 (do not recall when).[/QUOTE] I do have the Windows 10 nag screen on my Windows 7 laptop, even though I haven’t installed updates since July 2015. I haven’t bothered removing the relevant updates, since I haven’t decided NOT to upgrade.

I currently have Windows 10 on some other computers includung my new 2-in-1 Asus Transformer Book, so I’m getting used to the Windows 10 user interface.

But I still insist that it is [B]my[/B] choice, not Microsoft’s, when (and if) I upgrade my main pc.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2769874]I do have the Windows 10 nag screen on my Windows 7 laptop, even though I haven’t installed updates since July 2015. I haven’t bothered removing the relevant updates, since I haven’t decided NOT to upgrade.

I currently have Windows 10 on some other computers includung my new 2-in-1 Asus Transformer Book, so I’m getting used to the Windows 10 user interface.

But I still insist that it is [B]my[/B] choice, not Microsoft’s, when (and if) I upgrade my main pc.[/QUOTE]
It is THE thing is it not… at my own convenience… which M$ completely forgot :clap:

I’m running WIndows 10, and its working great for me.  I did customize it a bit. I use classic start menu, aeroglass, some registry tweaks, disable telemetry etc…

I don’t use IE so this doesn’t impact me at all.   My biggest concern about 10 is how Microsoft can impose significant OS changes whenever it wants.  Sometimes it makes me consider buying another win7 license, but so far I’ve been able to tweak away the annoying stuff.  Upgraded to 10 because it was free and was most likely going to be needed for gaming,

[QUOTE=Zod;2769973]Upgraded to 10 because it was free and was most likely going to be needed for gaming,[/QUOTE]
That will be a long wait coming…