Microsoft achieves record sales thanks to Windows 8

vbimport

Microsoft achieves record sales thanks to Windows 8.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/01/qELaeF.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft has reported record revenues thanks to the sales of Windows 8.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-achieves-record-sales-thanks-to-windows-8-65844/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-achieves-record-sales-thanks-to-windows-8-65844/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Record [I]revenues[/I]? Don’t they mean [I]sales units[/I]? I mean there were so many leaked copies put there that they couldn’t really have gotten that much [I]revenue[/I]…

That may be true, but as I understand it, Windows 8 is much harder to illegally activate than other versions out there. Hence the leaked copies would be useless.

In fact, if Microsoft were smart, they would set up “fake” piracy activation servers. People would think that they were getting Windows 8 for free, but then would get traced and arrested.

Oh I believe M$ was aware of the $15 upgrade ‘loophole’. After all it was big enough to drive a truckload of OEM copies of Win8 through.

I can’t see how it is a loophole.
Lots of people with no intention of upgrading to windows 8?
They just got a whole bunch of people, that had JUST bought their full-priced copies of windows 7 to pay an extra $15 direct to them…
And for the “loophole” people, that hadn’t bought their PC’s in the last 6 months, and probably had absolutely no intention of handing money to M$ in the next 2 1/2 years anyway, have now handed Microsoft extra $15 to upgrade to windows 8.

Why would anyone actually consider this as a failure?

Noting that the $15 upgrade (without checking) is a download only copy, and microsot really has no additional costs associated with these purchases, and now with all these “trojan” copies of windows 8 abounding, acceptance of the hideous metro interface will become mainstream amonst geeks, that actually hate the metro interface.

It’s like Sony, Bluray & the PS3 all over again.

[QUOTE=debro;2674630]I can’t see how it is a loophole.
Lots of people with no intention of upgrading to windows 8?
They just got a whole bunch of people, that had JUST bought their full-priced copies of windows 7 to pay an extra $15 direct to them…
And for the “loophole” people, that hadn’t bought their PC’s in the last 6 months, and probably had absolutely no intention of handing money to M$ in the next 2 1/2 years anyway, have now handed Microsoft extra $15 to upgrade to windows 8.

Why would anyone actually consider this as a failure?

Noting that the $15 upgrade (without checking) is a download only copy, and microsot really has no additional costs associated with these purchases, and now with all these “trojan” copies of windows 8 abounding, acceptance of the hideous metro interface will become mainstream amonst geeks, that actually hate the metro interface.

It’s like Sony, Bluray & the PS3 all over again.[/QUOTE]

I can’t argue with this post.
BTW, whether your spelling of “microsoft” was intentional or a typo,
it makes a good nickname for them now.

There is hardly any cost to MS for distributing their software in any form, even retail boxes sold in stores. Take a retail box for Windows 7 in Microcenter that they charge up to $200+ for and the packaging and shipping cost to get that box in the store is maybe 2% of the sales price, if that much. Powering servers to send multiple gigabytes of program code over the Internet in mass quantities isn’t without substantial expense. IMO, there are always a lot of early adopters when a new OS rolls out and whether W8 has staying power remains to be seen.

Everything is wonderful in the land of Win8, at least from the outside:

This doesn’t jive with stories I’ve read today that MS is blaming PC manufacturers for weak sales of Windows 8. First they allegedly screw their partners with the whole RT/ surface / hardware fiasco then blame them for weak win 8 sales.
What a brilliant partner relations team they have going at MS.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2674636]I can’t argue with this post.
BTW, whether your spelling of “microsoft” was intentional or a typo,
it makes a good nickname for them now.[/QUOTE]
Unintentional … it’s the stupid android auto-incorrection … it’s smarter than the average bacterium.

[QUOTE=UTR;2674638]There is hardly any cost to MS for distributing their software in any form … Powering servers to send multiple gigabytes of program code over the Internet in mass quantities isn’t without substantial expense. IMO, there are always a lot of early adopters when a new OS rolls out and whether W8 has staying power remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you mean there, but Microsoft has already established the server backend, and the other os’s are already stable, so download bandwidth for these would be relatively trivial. While it’s not free, windows 8 upgrade/download was already established … the bandwidth required for a few free-loaders downloading windows 8 at the low price of $15 is a trivial expense. It’s practically printing money :wink: I’d expect that ISP’s/network backhauls would be paying microsoft $$$ for pulling the data from microsoft servers, rather than microsoft paying service providers to move data from their servers to other people.

[QUOTE=ivid;2674989]This doesn’t jive with stories I’ve read today that MS is blaming PC manufacturers for weak sales of Windows 8. First they allegedly screw their partners with the whole RT/ surface / hardware fiasco then blame them for weak win 8 sales.
What a brilliant partner relations team they have going at MS.[/QUOTE]
Lol … Totally Agree. These guys are marketing geniuses … obviously graduates from the course, developed by the brilliant minds that developed the MBA and taught the rest of the world how to turn a large business into a small business :wink: