MicroAdvantage (BTC1004)

vbimport

Hi, I bought a MicroAdvantage DVD writer a while back and have just gotten around to trying it. I’ve tried to back up a couple of DVD’s, but they will only play on the machine I burned them on and I assume in the drive that burned them.

I used DVDShrink 3.1.7 and Nero 5.5 and TDK 4x + media. When I put the burned DVD’s into my WinXP system with a LiteOn DVD player (163?) and try to open the disc it says to insert media. When I put it in a Win2000 system with a Toshiba 1512 or 1612? DVD it syas the disc is not formattted.

When I put them in my stand-alone DVD player it just keeps saying “loading”. I was expecting that with that player and am waiting for BTC to come up with a new firmware (050) with the bitsetting option. Will I need a newer version of Nero to take advantage of that option?

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn’t they at least play on another computer??? I had them checked as region free when I burned them, but I don’t believe the DVD drives I’m using are region free, but i’m not sure? Would that make a difference?

Will -r media make a difference?

Any advise is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Will -r media make a difference?

That is worth a try, since standalone players are more likely to support -R than +R for playing.

Update your firmware to at least 0047 since some 4x will not record properly without it.

I will pick up some -r media tommorrow and try it out. I am trying to wait until the new 050 firmware comes out before flashing it.

How do I tell what firmware version it has now?

Will I need a newer version of Nero to take advantage of the bitsetting option that will supposedly be in the new 050 firmware? I have 5.5 now.

How do I tell what firmware version it has now?
Download and install LiveUpdate from http://www.drvupdate.com/

Will I need a newer version of Nero to take advantage of the bitsetting option that will supposedly be in the new 050 firmware? I have 5.5 now.
Only if you want to do the bitsetting within a Nero session.

Otherwise, there should be a BTC utility to do the bit setting or using a program like DVD infopro can set the book type, then when you use Nero 5.5 it will see the drive as containing a -R type.

Thanks for the help and info, Fluffster. I downloaded LiveUpdate and my firmware was 039, so I updated it to 049. I burned another DVD and now it plays fine in my WinXP system with the LiteOn LTD-163 DVD and my Apex 1225? DVD player with +r media. :slight_smile: After the flash, even the DVD burner wouldn’t see the 2 DVD’s I had burned under FW039, LOL!

It still isn’t working in my Win2000 system with a Toshiba SD-1612 DVD. It must not support +media, perhaps they have a firmware upgrade for it. I will have to check that out.

I also downloaded DVDInfoPro. I hadn’t even heard of that program. Thanks again! I haven’t installed it yet, but it looks like I’m not going to have to worry about bitsetting right now. :slight_smile:

:):):):):):)THANKS AGAIN:):):):):):slight_smile:

THANKS AGAIN
You’re welcome.

I recall seeing several discussion threads about the BTC1004 being a basket case until about FW 0043.

I have found it to be quite a satisfactory performer at the recent FW levels and with compatible media (not necessarily the name brand). Using a generic Longten 4x DVD-R media that doesn’t have the reputation of the more expensive brands, I still get perfect 4x burns that play fine on my old Toshiba SD-1600.

It is a $85 drive that uses $0.65 media - sweet!

I did a google search and found that the Toshiba 1612 doesn’t support the +r media and then found a site with hacked firmware. It is the same as the manufacturer’s firmware, but has been hacked to make it region free, support +r media, and take the speed limit’s off. I’m not quite sure what the speed limit changes are, but I flashed my Toshiba 1612 drive and now it plays the DVD I ripped and it shows as being a region free drive.

It is the same as the manufacturer’s firmware, but has been hacked to make it region free
There are some sharp people out there who make life so much easier for the rest of us.

Originally posted by fluffster
There are some sharp people out there who make life so much easier for the rest of us.

Isn’t that the truth! I have to say I’m sure happy with my BTC1004 now. :slight_smile: I picked it up at OfficeMax for $60 after the rebates and put the extended warranty on it for another $20. I usually don’t get the extended warranty, but I am going to try and wear this drive out!! I’m using the TDK 4x + media right now and they were a buck a disc at BB. Where did you get the 65 cent -DVD’s?

Here is a link to the hacked firmware for the Toshiba 1612 in case anybody is interested:

http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

Where did you get the 65 cent -DVD’s?
http://www.shop4tech.com/item1600.html

They ID as LONGTEN mfg. but despite what some have said, this media has been outstanding for my purposes.

I think I have one unsatisfactory burn out of more than 70 and even that one was mostly readable except for one area near the end. Compared to a 15 - 20% failure rate using Optodisk and Fry’s house brand.

For whatever reason, this media is highly compatible with both my burner and player, however, YMMV.

My info on this is at: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79503&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

I had this EXACT same problem with my BTC 1004 when I first brought it home from Best Buy. I had the very same questions you did – would -R work better than +R? Would a different brand of media work better?

I eventually learned that all I needed was a newer firmware. Download the newest (049) BTC 1004 firmware and flash your drive. I’m nearly certain that will fix all the problems you are having!

That’s what I did Aaron. The drive had 039 firmware and I flashed it to the new 049 with the drvupdate program and all is well now. I haven’t burned any - media yet because I don’t have any right now, but I’ve backed up 5 DVD movies with dvdshrink and haven’t had a problem of any kind.

I have a couple of othe 'puters here and I had to update the firmware of one of the Toshiba DVD-ROM to read the + media, but other then that everything is working well! :slight_smile: