Micro-SIM - Apple's cynical iPad lock?

vbimport

I just posted the article Micro-SIM - Apple’s cynical iPad lock?.

Steve Jobs didn’t even attempt to justify the iPad’s use of non-standard SIM cards whilst on stage, standing within the protection of his famous Reality Distortion Field.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/micro-sim-apples-cynical-ipad-lock-25497/](http://www.myce.com/news/micro-sim-apples-cynical-ipad-lock-25497/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nokia and Motorola are guilty of the same thing. Or did we forget how big SIM cards were in the mid 1990s? They’re called cards for a reason.

Of course the size reduction back then was to allow for smaller phones. I can’t see how shrinking the size further (they’re already pretty small) would allow any significant improvement in the size department.

[QUOTE=JimPBish;2490353]Of course the size reduction back then was to allow for smaller phones. I can’t see how shrinking the size further (they’re already pretty small) would allow any significant improvement in the size department.[/QUOTE]

That’s true, especially considering that the iPad is not exactly pocket friendly either. :disagree:

At least the small SIM cards were backwards compatible when they came out. Here in Ireland (and I’m sure elsewhere) the providers all included a credit card size adapter to fit the early GSM phones.

yeah, seriously, the iPad is in no way a compact device, why use micro-SIM’s except to make it harder to use the device on any other network?

MicroSIM adapter has undergone some change. Previously the microSIM kept on falling out and it was pain in the butt trying to insert the adapter with microSIM inside it to the phone. For example my HTC HD2 is designed that way that you have to insert SIM card with its contacts facing down… and then when i try to do it, the microSIM just falls out…(( i have googled and found a better solution at www.microsim2sim.com
Their adapter has a special adhesive layer that keeps my microSIM firm in place. Got it today, works perfect.