Metallic sharpie safe on DVD?

vbimport

Hi, I’m a long time reader but new member/poster! I’ve searched about the long running arguement about using markers on DVD’s or not. My question is a little different.

I bought some RiData Valor DVD’s to use as cheap handouts to friends for stuff that isn’t really that important. I didn’t realize untill I got them that they have a black label on them. Does anybody know if it would be safe to use a silver metallic sharpie on these? I’m not worried about the disk, but could the metallic properties damage the DVD palyer in any way?

Sorry for the newbie question!

Thanks,
forceU2tap

I reviewed the MSDS for the conventional Sharpie and the Metallic Sharpie and there shouldn’t be a problem with it’s use, other than the possibility of creating an imbalance with the Metallic application…
The weight of the pigments and metallic solids are substantially heavier than the dye left by the conventional Sharpie…
You might think about using a different conventional color on your black discs…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2184148]I reviewed the MSDS for the conventional Sharpie and the Metallic Sharpie and there shouldn’t be a problem with it’s use, other than the possibility of creating an imbalance with the Metallic application…
The weight of the pigments and metallic solids are substantially heavier than the dye left by the conventional Sharpie…
You might think about using a different conventional color on your black discs…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. That’s a great point about the imbalance. I’ve actually tried all colors of “normal” sharpies and you can’t see what you’ve written. That’s why I’m wodering about the metallic one’s because I think you’d be able to see them on the black label. Hmm… I wish I’d have known they were black before I got them!

Yo-

Try a white sharpie-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2184181]Yo-

Try a white sharpie-eh!![/QUOTE]

LOL, I’ll assume you’re kidding since they don’t make white Sharpies… :iagree:

Yo-

Suggest googling 'white sharpie’
will await your apology-eh

[QUOTE=forceU2tap;2184183]LOL, I’ll assume you’re kidding since they don’t make white Sharpies… :iagree:[/QUOTE]

They do but they seem to only be sold as a separate item (not one of the colors when you buy a bundled assortment).

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2184184]Yo-

Suggest googling 'white sharpie’
will await your apology-eh[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I was just going off the Sharpie website FAQ:

[B]Why isn’t the Sharpie marker available in white?[/B]A white marker requires a pigmented, rather than a dye base ink, to achieve the required opacity. With the ink technology available, we have been unable to manufacture a marker or pen that will uniformly lay down white ink. In the future, however, as new ink technology develops, it is quite possible we will be able to make a pigmented white ink marker. Until then we suggest trying Sanford’s white Sharpie Paint or Poster-Paint marker. It is a valve action marker, which requires a pumping action.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/FAQ/default.html

:iagree:

So, Sharpie doesn’t make regular white markers but they do make white [I][U]paint[/U][/I] markers. Maybe this would be a better choice than the metallic, but water or oil based? They make both…