Messed up the firmware of DVD drive on my Compaq laptop?

Hi guys , I have another problem , sorry to bother again but it’s pretty annoying not being able to burn dvds…
Anyway, my laptop is a Compaq B1966TU , and I have a DVD drive mounted, which i decided to upgrade the firmware hoping that I can play every region DVD movies.
I downloaded a tool for flashing , and I found on this site www.toshibaer.com a huge collection of firmwares, but not finding the one for compaq i downloaded one named Gateway & OEM , anyway after flashing , now my dvd not only is not region free but it lost the ability of burning dvd or cd…now everytime i try to burn with nero or any other software , it will spoil my blank dvd…I think i messed up the firmware or installed the wrong one!!!
You have any ideas on what to do now???
Thanks a lot guys!!!

here is the details of my drive:

Nero InfoTool 5.1.0.0

Drive Information

Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : GA04
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : TS-L632DFirmware
Vendor Specific : Z
Drive Letter : E:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 24 , 20 , 16 , 10 , 9 , 4 X
Write Speed : 24 X
<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

Flashing slimtype drives is for experienced users only. Have you read some threads about it first???

What was the original firmware?

well , i dont remember what was the firmware before…that’s a problem i guess…now i have to throw the drive right?

You could try the Hewlett Packard version available on that site since HP=Compaq… :rolleyes:

Or better: remove the optical drive and have a look at the stickers on the drive. The firmware version should be there.

contacted HP, they have no original firmware in store for it, as it ships directly installed with the drive unit. There is also no update for my drive at the moment.
I will then try to distach the drive from my laptop and see what’s written there.
I think the only solution, if im patient and lucky would be to wait until HP releases a new firmware…