Mesmereized by Blu Ray

vbimport

I just installed ethernet throughout my house. I know…I just like hard wiring. I also gave myself a new 64 inch Samsung Plasma Smart TV with all the streaming stuff connected through a central box which feeds all inputs into the TV, although I do sometimes go direct to the SMART TV function.
However, now I need a new Blu Ray to feed this set. The TV already has all the streaming stuff so I’m looking for an excellent machine that just does Blu Ray. The TV does streaming already. Can someone show the way to a machine which is an excellent playback machine without all the other stuff. Not interested in gaming and storage. I have a NAS for that. Thanks

[QUOTE=mitchleopard;2617051]I just installed ethernet throughout my house. I know…I just like hard wiring. I also gave myself a new 64 inch Samsung Plasma Smart TV with all the streaming stuff connected through a central box which feeds all inputs into the TV, although I do sometimes go direct to the SMART TV function.
However, now I need a new Blu Ray to feed this set. The TV already has all the streaming stuff so I’m looking for an excellent machine that just does Blu Ray. The TV does streaming already. Can someone show the way to a machine which is an excellent playback machine without all the other stuff. Not interested in gaming and storage. I have a NAS for that. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well that well depend on what kinda connections your Plasma has…but I would also say Plasma is being replaced by back-lit LED so that might be something to consider replacing in the future as well. Also it depends on how much are you looking to spend will determine what you can buy and feature comes with the BD unit. As with anything the more features it has the more expensive the product. It is good you go the setup going but where are your BD going to be and where is the Plasma going to be situate at and how far will they be from each other? There is also beyond the buying and hooking up the items but where you place them.

Panasonic BDT110, LG BD670 and Samsung BD D6500 are often recommended as lower end players over at AVSForum. Some will have features you don’t need, but that is the general trend these days, as streaming moves to less expensive players.

You might want to concentrate at least some attention to start up time, which has been an issue in the past for blu ray players. The Panasonic seems to be quick. The LG has gotten some good user reviews for quality of picture.

Thanks. Appreciate the information. If there was a better playback machine (which had other things included) I would go for it if it was too much more. I’m just looking for the best Blu Ray playback I can find.

Well, Oppo is considered one of the really good manufacturers of blu ray equipment, but their least expensive model has a lot of features you don’t need and I was a bit hesitant to recommend it for that reason. Blu ray playback is excellent with Oppo. I believe the Oppo 93 is about $500 normally.

Give a pc a blu-ray player and install XBMC or get a PlayStation 3. It can play games and Blu-Ray (and streaming media).

I’m glad to hear people are just beginning to catch up, I ran Ethernet going on 12 years now. It took 5 years for the Electronic Manufacturers to put RJ45’s on their equipment. I was Streaming DVD Movies from my home Server and computer years ago over Ethernet on a Buffalo DVD Player with a Data Jack. Buffalo never came out with a good Blu-ray Player with the same functions, so I bought a Panasonic it’s a fantastic Blu-ray Player. The newer model Panasonics have Data Jacks and do Server Movie Streaming like from Netflex. I find it easier to do Blu-ray Movie Only Back-ups rather than Streaming. You can also look at the Sony 400 Blu-ray Mega Changer. :cool:

A few more ideas depending on your budget.

For ultimate quality the Denon DBP-2012UD is very hard to beat.

Mid-range check out the Panasonic DMP-BDT210.

And at the budget end of the decent players the Sony BDP-S380 is very highly regarded.

These are all overall Award Winners for 2011 from What HiFi Sound & Vision.

[B]Wombler[/B]