Merry Chistmas?

So every year I hear more and more about people that are “offended” by people saying Merry Christmas or by Christmas related items. You hear of companies having to take down Christmas trees and other such things. At my company I have to say happy holidays and be cautious not to give out cards that have the word Christmas on them… Even Santa Claus has become taboo damn it! :a

So, can someone explain to me how it’s offensive? Other minorities have their holidays and can be proud (rightly so) of them. We don’t tell them it “offends” us do we? Imagine if we did! We’d be called racists or some other such thing.

So what do you think about this whole lack of Merry Christmas thing? Bah humbug I say!

By the way, way to go CDFreaks for displaying Merry Christmas even with the possible persecution that may come with it! :doh:

Not only Christmas but Easter,Thanksgiving and others…It’s a religious thing.

Merry Christmas everyone :slight_smile:

Well, I think have a theory… so here we go!

To begin, you need to understand a psychological theory known as Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, proposed by Abraham Maslow in 1943.

Basically, the theory states that that humans must meet a specific “need” in a hierarchy before they can continue to the next one. The needs are as follows, symbolized, most typically, in a pyramid, with primative needs on the bottom, and higher level needs on the top:

Now, if you pay attention to the diagram, you will notice the following headings. Physiological, Safety, Love/Belonging, Esteem, and Self-Actualization.

Now, how does this apply to modern day Christmas bashing? Well consider this, when was the last time you heard of a tribe in Africa bitching about someone celebrating something as trivial as xmas? You don’t. Why? Because these people are focusing on needs lower down on the list, they don’t have time to moan, because they have to worry about what they are going to eat the next day.

The problem with Western society, is that they typically enjoy TOO MUCH freedom. Physiological and Safety Needs are often always met, as well as Love and Belonging. The next two is where christmas bashing sets in. Tho first off, I would like to comment on Maslow’s definition of Self-Actualization. While perhaps “noble”, his definition does have a few flaws, but for the sake of this argument I see no reason in changing it for the moment.

So, most of Western society’s needs are met, at least the primative ones, whats next to do? Due to the fact that people now aim to achieve self-fullfullment, they try to impose their beliefs onto the rest of the world. They would love to claim that they are creative, non-prejudice, and moral. The problem is, they are not actually in the Self-Actualization stage, they are stuck in the transition stage between Esteem and Self-Actualization. They do what they do for esteem issues and percieve it as Self-Actualization. Since they themselves feel they are self-actualized, they also feel they are ALLOWED to tell everyone else what to do, because they are “enlightened”.

Thus, when it comes to Christmas, people decide to bitch. They may see an xmas tree and think “That tree is symbolizing a belief which I do not agree with. Since I am enlightened and not prejudice, I must take to the extreme and make sure everyone else is exactly as unprejudice as me.”

Thus, in summary, people act like this because they have too much time, too much freedom, and they didn’t work for any of it, thus they don’t understand it.

That is my theory anyway. If you would like to read up on Maslow’s theory, head to this wikipedia article

i say Merry Christmas…

so do i & if they don’t like it thats their problem :smiley:

This is easily countered by using proper Swedish instead, saying God Jul, which wont offend anyone, not even proper idiots who deserve to be offended. It’s also a word which has nothing to do with Christianity. Less religion makes everyone happy.

I so totally hear ya Ssseth - it’s been the topic of conversation between me and my mum for a long time, and neither of us can figure it out.

I say Merry Christmas (with all the trimmings), Happy Easter, and if folks don’t like it…well, they can always look the other way :flower:

I do understand that various things offend others, but when it comes to something as long-standing as Christmas tradition…it just baffles me.

This probably belongs in Jokes and Funnies, but it seems appropriate for this thread…

Holiday Party

TO: All Employees
DATE: 4 November 2004
RE: Christmas Party

I’m happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23rd, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We’ll have a small band playing traditional carols …. please feel free to sing along. And don’t be surprised if the MD shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00pm. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over £10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone’s pockets. This gathering is only for employees! The MD will make a special announcement at the Party.

Merry Christmas to you and your Family.
Pauline

DATE: 5 November 2004
RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday’s memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognise that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we’re calling it our “Holiday Party”. The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians. There will be no Christmas tree or Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment. Happy now?
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Pauline

DATE: 6 November 2004

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table … you didn’t sign your name. I’m happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, “AA Only”; you wouldn’t be anonymous anymore!!!

How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?

Forget about the gift exchange, no gift exchange allowed now since the Union Officials feel that £10.00 is too much money and Management believe £10.00 is a little cheap.

NO GIFT EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

Pauline

DATE: 7 November 2004

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20th begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslin employees’ beliefs, perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party - or else package everything up for you to take home in a little foil doggy bag. Will that work? Meanwhile, I’ve arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the toilets. Gays are allowed to sit with each other, Lesbians do not have to sit with gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangements for the gay men’s table too. To the person asking permission to cross dress - no cross dressing allowed. We will have booster seats for short people. Low fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest those people with high blood pressure taste the food first. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply “No Sugar” desserts. Sorrry!

Did I miss anything ?!?!?!?!

Pauline

TO: All F****** Employees
DATE: 8 November 2004
RE: The F****** Holiday Party

Vegetarian pricks I’ve had it with you people!!! We’re going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the “grill of death,” as you so quaintly put it, and you’ll get your f****** salad bar, including organic tomatoes. But you know tomatoes have feelings too. They scream when you slice them. I’ve heard them scream. I’m hearing them scream right NOW !! I hope you all have a rotten holiday,

The Bitch from HELL !!!

DATE: 9 November 2004
RE: Pauline Lewis and Holiday Party

I’m sure I speak for all of us in wishing Pauline Lewis a speedy recovery and I’ll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, the Management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and instead give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd December off with full pay.

Happy Holidays!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all…

LOL pipemanid, that’s brilliant, I’m gonna forward it to a few people :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I thought it hit the nail on the head and got a chuckle out of me…
You be sure to have a MERRY CHRISTMAS kid…

It does, and it made me giggle as well. And Merry Christmas back atcha :wink:

I’m not sure whether this is to laugh or to whine at.
Nevertheless, [B]Merry Christmas[/B] to everybody!

Joyeux Noel to all our french freaks !!

Only one more sleep! :clap:

Let’s Go Santa !!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Merry Christmas to all :slight_smile:

:clap:

Who was that guy in red and with white hair all over his face that my wife kissed this morning and told him to have a good trip.

He said Merry Christmas to all and left in something off my roof.

:eek:

He was too lazy to bring it into the house? Maybe you forgot to leave your alarm system off? :stuck_out_tongue: