Merging a DVD that was split

vbimport

I split a dvd i bought a long time ago onto two 4.7 dvds. The original got scratched and wont play. Now i want to combine the two halves onto one DL. Now question is how can i merge the 2 and have a menu?

Hi pythonis

Sorry nobody has replied to your question until now, the reason was because you posted in the wrong thread.

If you still need help you can either use “Merge” mode or DVD Shrink if you have it installed.

Once you have them merged I use a software named TitleWriter for menus.
I think it could create a menu for you but I haven’t used it for a project like this.
It doesn’t have to encode the whole video to add a menu.
If you give it a try I would be interested to see if it worked.
Second solution.
There is a software named h2cdimage that will copy a pretty scratched DVD .
It does the copy to .iso . It also must be used with a decrypter on encrypted DVD’s.
It will work with DVDFab’s Passkey Lite . I don’t have the paid for version but I think it would work with the full version of Passkey too.
I won’t mention the name but it works with the PassKey competitor as well.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2610460]Hi pythonis

Sorry nobody has replied to your question until now, the reason was because you posted in the wrong thread.

If you still need help you can either use “Merge” mode or DVD Shrink if you have it installed.[/QUOTE]
Wait, im confused. I have a question about merging dvds with dvdfab so i go to the thread labeled “merging a dvd that was split” and it’s the wrong thread? Then im told to use dvdfab merge? Noooo…really? I feel like the crew of the Enterprise looking for the nuclear wessels in Alameda

[QUOTE=cholla;2610468]Once you have them merged I use a software named TitleWriter for menus.
I think it could create a menu for you but I haven’t used it for a project like this.
It doesn’t have to encode the whole video to add a menu.
If you give it a try I would be interested to see if it worked.
Second solution.
There is a software named h2cdimage that will copy a pretty scratched DVD .
It does the copy to .iso . It also must be used with a decrypter on encrypted DVD’s.
It will work with DVDFab’s Passkey Lite . I don’t have the paid for version but I think it would work with the full version of Passkey too.
I won’t mention the name but it works with the PassKey competitor as well.[/QUOTE]Thanks for that but im not a big fan of adding multiple softwares to my pc. im just wondering if theres anyway to include menus when merging 2 dvds using dvdfab. and if so, how?

Part of the problem lies in that the menu was most likely removed when you did the split.
So you have to create a new menu. AFAIK DVDFab doesn’t have any menu creating capabilities. It can only preserve what it rips from the original DVD.
The h2cdimage works as a portable & doesn’t require an install .
The problem lies in to work on a copyrighted DVD it has to use a decrypter.
I need to see if PassKey Lite might also work as a portable .

nope, each disk (split) has the menu.

[QUOTE=pythonis;2610486]Wait, im confused. I have a question about merging dvds with dvdfab so i go to the thread labeled “merging a dvd that was split” and it’s the wrong thread? Then im told to use dvdfab merge? Noooo…really? I feel like the crew of the Enterprise looking for the nuclear wessels in Alameda[/QUOTE]

You had this posted in the thread called “Guides, Tutorials & FAQ
” which is not a help thread so I started your own thread, so you would get answers you are asking for.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2610495]You had this posted in the thread called “Guides, Tutorials & FAQ
” which is not a help thread so I started your own thread, so you would get answers you are asking for.[/QUOTE]
Guides, Tutorials & FAQ
Posted: 18-11-2010
StormJumper (Moderator)
***If you have a question, suggestion or need help with one of the guides please feel free to post it here in this thread.

SJ****

Well, I had a question. Granted it wasnt about a guide but it didnt say it had to be specifically about the guide. From the way its worded (imo) it means that if i have a question, OR a suggestion, OR I just happen to need help with a guide, then i can post in there. 3 separate choices not 3 that have to be about the same thing. I see now how you meant it but i saw its meaning as something else entirely.

[QUOTE=pythonis;2610494]nope, each disk (split) has the menu.[/QUOTE]
Ok are these two seperate movies ripped from the same DVD ?

[QUOTE=pythonis;2607954]I split a dvd i bought a long time ago onto two 4.7 dvds. The original got scratched and wont play. Now i want to combine the two halves onto one DL. Now question is how can i merge the 2 and have a menu?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that makes no sense.
How is “got cratched” playing into this story???

[QUOTE=cholla;2610517]Ok are these two seperate movies ripped from the same DVD ?[/QUOTE]
no it was a very long movie (LOTR) that i split onto 2 disks and included the menu on each one.

[QUOTE=chef;2610522]Sorry, that makes no sense.
How is “got cratched” playing into this story???[/QUOTE]
well, let me help you. When i buy a movie the first thing i do is make a copy. I put up the original and only watch the copy. Now, on occasion others in the house will grab the original (which theyre not suppose to do) and unfortunately they will screw up the dvd (in this case drop the dvd and cause a big scratch which makes the dvd unplayable). Now since i have the copies of the dvd (2 dvd5) im wanting to merge the 2 onto one dvd9 complete with menus.

What you’re trying to do is not a simple as it may first appear.

I see DVDFab’s merge mode and DVDShrink have been suggested above but I don’t think either of those will be able to directly reconstruct the menus from the split discs, as these are effectively re-authored discs.

One method would be to use the merged copy produced by DVDFab then follow this guide for adding the menus back in.

Alternatively you could process the discs in a DVD authoring package.

I don’t think either method is particularly straightforward though.

TBH I think the simplest option would be to get the original disc professionally repaired at your local video store where they have machines that can polish out the scratches, but you can have a go at the above methods if you prefer the challenge.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=pythonis;2610497]Guides, Tutorials & FAQ
Posted: 18-11-2010
StormJumper (Moderator)
***If you have a question, suggestion or need help with one of the guides please feel free to post it here in this thread.

SJ****

Well, I had a question. Granted it wasnt about a guide but it didnt say it had to be specifically about the guide. From the way its worded (imo) it means that if i have a question, OR a suggestion, OR I just happen to need help with a guide, then i can post in there. 3 separate choices not 3 that have to be about the same thing. I see now how you meant it but i saw its meaning as something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

OK ya got me :bigsmile:
however it seemed to me you posted your question some time ago and had not gotten a response so placing it in it’s own thread seemed to be a better choice which I see sortly there after you got a reply. :smiley:

i think “scratch” is rather light. Its more like a “gouge”…its pretty deep. my dvd players and pc cant even read the thing anymore.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2610535]OK ya got me :bigsmile:
however it seemed to me you posted your question some time ago and had not gotten a response so placing it in it’s own thread seemed to be a better choice which I see sortly there after you got a reply. :D[/QUOTE] well thanks for that. Im just surprised nobody saw it after 2 weeks. maybe im the only one that looks at the main page and not just what im subscribed to

im thinking it would be nice if the “menu” had its own checkable box along with the titles (example titles 1,2, and 3 where 1 is the previews, 2 is the main movie, and 3 is the menu) and if checked the box the menu would be included in your creation. yeah a warped idea but hey thats how my mind works.

[QUOTE=pythonis;2610538]well thanks for that. Im just surprised nobody saw it after 2 weeks. maybe im the only one that looks at the main page and not just what im subscribed to[/QUOTE]

I would have reponded sooner but I’ve been off line for little over a month but I’m back now :eek::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2610533]What you’re trying to do is not a simple as it may first appear.

I see DVDFab’s merge mode and DVDShrink have been suggested above but I don’t think either of those will be able to directly reconstruct the menus from the split discs, as these are effectively re-authored discs.

One method would be to use the merged copy produced by DVDFab then follow this guide for adding the menus back in.

Alternatively you could process the discs in a DVD authoring package.

I don’t think either method is particularly straightforward though.

TBH I think the simplest option would be to get the original disc professionally repaired at your local video store where they have machines that can polish out the scratches, but you can have a go at the above methods if you prefer the challenge.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
i checked out your “this guide” link and started getting a migraine at step 4.