Just for you guys, I moved two of my drives to get to an IDE connection and I did some testing below and I have found that the 16P9S gives scanning results comparable to the 1693. It works with CDSpeed as well as Kprobe and seems to be able to partially able identify the media ID as well, at least in Kprobe. It will not work with Kprobe (yet) on a USB or firewire connection; it crashes half way through.
While the scan is hardly a 1 to 1 correlation, especially at the end where the disc is hardest to read, this is a considerable difference from the ROM drive reporting prior to this.
The scans are all labeled and speak for themselves. All done on the same disc. Unfortunately, because of the errors at the end you can't see how close it was to the 1693 right up to 90%.