Merge 2 dvds

Hi,
my question is a bit different than you can expect… Making some searches I’ve found some ways to join two dvds in one with/out menu but in every case the result was not the one I expected.

I’ll try to explain… I have an original dvd of “Godfellas” which is a two sided dvd (at about half movie you have to open dvd reader, turn the disk and continue…)
I want to make this dvd single side but with the programs I’ve tried there’s no a complete merge of the movie; namely, the two sides are now in one dvd but they are separated streams. I want a single stream (possibly preserving the chapters of each stream).

I don’t care too much about quality, the two dvds are now 6,5 gb in total, so if I merge I can fit them in a DL disc without loss of quality…

Is it possible? How?

Thank you for your help!
Matteo

You have 2 options:

1. Use the Merge feature to merge 2 DVDs into 1, keeping each dvd’s menu and functionality. To go to the second DVD, just press Title menu on the remote and select the second disk.

2. Append the 2nd half of the movie to the 1st half of the movie, keeping all chapters. Steps are shown below:

[ol]
[li]Load up part one and part two as projects - project 1 and 2, respectively.[/li][li]Go to project 2, copy the movie PGC (VTS x, PGC y, right-click and select “Copy PGC”).[/li][li]Go to project 1, select the movie PGC. If there is a blank cell at the end in the Program pane, delete it.[/li][li]With movie PGC selected, “Append copied PGC”. You’ll notice all the blocks are appended in the Programs pane.[/li][li]Go to Titles pane, expand the node on the right window. Select last chapter and “Add chapters”. Multi-select the current selected Program x till the last program (use Shift). Click OK.[/li][/ol]
And you’re done!

[QUOTE=toaddub;2118694]You have 2 options:
2) Append the 2nd half of the movie to the 1st half of the movie, keeping all chapters. Steps are shown below:
[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you, I’ll try but I’m pretty sure it’ll work!

Bye.

Well, you’re done and you’re not done. The chapter menu from disc 2 needs appending too, and some VM commands need adjusting. This is a case by case basis and there is no prescriptive way to do it.

Regards

Hi,
This looks like the easiest method I’ve seen sofar to solve my long time problem. Would there be a shortcut to films that have been splitted by using DVDFab, which gives you the option to not preserve the menu on the second disk. This means that the first disk keeps all the original chapters, in this case 14, while it only plays till chapter 6, rest will play on the 2nd disk without menu’s starting with 7, now reading 1 to 8?

[QUOTE=deframat;2118620]Hi,
my question is a bit different than you can expect… Making some searches I’ve found some ways to join two dvds in one with/out menu but in every case the result was not the one I expected.

I’ll try to explain… I have an original dvd of “Godfellas” which is a two sided dvd (at about half movie you have to open dvd reader, turn the disk and continue…)
I want to make this dvd single side but with the programs I’ve tried there’s no a complete merge of the movie; namely, the two sides are now in one dvd but they are separated streams. I want a single stream (possibly preserving the chapters of each stream).

I don’t care too much about quality, the two dvds are now 6,5 gb in total, so if I merge I can fit them in a DL disc without loss of quality…

Is it possible? How?

Thank you for your help!
Matteo[/QUOTE]
i have exactly the same problem…how can i do this with dvdfab6022,step by step …please ! :rolleyes:

I just did this in DVDRemake 3.6.3 Pro, worked w/o a problem.
Just skipped toaddub step 5 and deleted chapters with no video.
Only works with splitted movies where menu was not saved on 2nd disk though…

[QUOTE=Jolly-Roger;2305429]i have exactly the same problem…how can i do this with dvdfab6022,step by step …please ! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
You’re asking this in the wrong forum but to answer your question, there’s no way DVDFab can do as mentioned in the second proposed option (post #2) with its current Merge function.

@toaddub
Just a quick question, works fine as per your method explained earlier, but sometimes I lose the scene selection in the menu. Meaning that SW DVD player (PowerDVD) does not load the selected scene and turns the movie off. Is there a way to preserve the scene selection?
Thanks - UtNut

See theses older but [I]still[/I] helpful threads…

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/254937-How-do-you-merge-two-DVDs-into-One

Here is a quick guide for DVDFab :wink:

Note: This is a condensed version of the full guide, which is part of the DVDFab Tutorial and can be found here.

Merge can be used to:
Put a two-disc movie onto a single disc; say goodbye to “flipper” discs forever!
Make a special disc with titles from many sources, like a cartoon carnival disc for the kids.
Put two versions of the same title on one disc.
Make a disc of just “Extras” and “Making Of…s”.
Make your own “Night at the Movies” disc, with the movie, a cartoon and extras.
Interleave material from different sources with chapter length control.
The First Step is to decide what sources to use for your project. Valid sources are DVD discs (but you must have an optical drive for each disc source), DVD folders and ISO files. The merge process runs faster if you copy the merge Sources to your HDD before starting, and all Sources must be continuously available until the merge process completes—you can’t pop a DVD out of a drive and put in another; if you do, the Merge entries from the disc you remove will be deleted from the Merge list.

Next, select DVD to DVD and click on Merge. The title selection screen will appear. This screen is used to select the title sources for your project. If you start with a DVD in the default optical drive it will appear as the first Source. If all your Sources are on HDD, use the folder or ISO icon to select the first one.

Select the titles you want to use from this Source and chose the audio and subpicture streams to include and set as defaults for playback. Sources can be added in any order since the next screen lets you re-arrange them in any order, but it’s easier to keep track of the Merge process if you’ll add the sources in the order you plan to use them. Add your next Source using the Source drop down (to select optical drives) or the Folder or ISO Source buttons.

When you have added all the Sources, click Next to see the list of titles to be merged. Use Preview to verify the playback order of the titles and included chapters, make any changes, select DVD5/9, select a target, and click Start to begin the merge. The text window will give you a running progress report much like the other modes.

[B]SJ [/B]

Thanks for the links and help. I’ve been fiddling a bit with remake and for what it is worth, here’s my tested method, which for me works best when DVD’s were splitted using DVDFab;

1. Copy disks to HDD - DVDRemake import folder - using AnyDVD.
  2. Check size in GB and time of both parts for verification after merge.
  3. Load first disk/part/project in DVDRemake by going into the VIDEO_TS folder and select the first (IFO) file.
  4. Stripping the first disk;
    a)Find the PGC of the main feature and delete all empty programs, usually shown as Seam is no.
    This is how DVDFab splits DVD’s by keeping the cells in tact.
    b) Delete the chapters in Titles pane (below), now shown in red.
    We now have a “clean” first disk, don’t worry about things in red or notes about invalid programs.
  5. Load the second disk as per above.
  6. Copy the main feature PGC in Disk2 and append to the main feature PGC of Disk1.
  7. Go to the Titles pane again and add the chapters you just appended, this is easily done as it starts with the first one in blue already, just use ctrl the ones following the one in blue.
  8. Export project 1 to the DVDRemake export folder.
  9. Verify size and time of the merged DVD.

This verification might look a bit unnecessary but it is easy to delete a program chain, essential for the film.

Only flaw I’ve noticed is that the appended part does not work in scene selections. I wish somebody could help on how to fix that, you would probably have to edit this in Programs…