Menus and Extras using DVD2ONE

To do menus and extras with DVD2one, better use this guide written by jdobbs: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46770

Milkman

Yeah, I see what you mean. I’m trying to do the movie xXx.
Okay then, is there a way to put the movie done the normal way on 1 disc and all of the extras on another? Even if the extras disc has no menus that’s okay (menus would be better though). DVD blanks are not that expensive, so this would be cool!

Originally posted by aaron1es
[B]jd,

I’m going to let jdobbs guide you but I think you’re in a similar situation. The movie you are dealing with is very HEAVY in terms of extras; it comes close to the movie in terms of real estate requirements.

4.472 - 3.19 gives you roughly a paltry 1.2 G for the movie. DVD2ONE may not even be capable of winnowing it down to that extent.

If you leave the extras as they are, you have very little room for the transcoded movie, meaning you’re going to have to reduce its size to such an extent that you may not be happy with the video quality. Currently, I’m compressing the extras to give the movie some elbow room, and hence, a greater degree of video quality. [/B]

Originally posted by RedF1US
Okay then, is there a way to put the movie done the normal way on 1 disc and all of the extras on another? Even if the extras disc has no menus that’s okay (menus would be better though).

I wrote this guide a while back specifically for this situation. Keeping Bonus Materials and Menu Guide

@RedF1US

There’s not a lot you can do when the extras weigh almost as much as the movie except to start squeezing the extras. It can be a real pain, though, as there can be a lot of small VTSs that need to be addressed.

@ aaron1es

MakeItEasy does the exact same update in the last step that IFOUpdate does. But it forces a match on the CELL counts. The error you got may indicate more than one angle existed – if that happened you might try updating with IFOUpdate with the “Ignore Angles” option checked. Another consideration in MakeItEasy is that it doesn’t (a bug) update the .BUP file – make sure you copy the updated .IFO to .BUP of the same name. BUP is just a backup file of a primary IFO.

Jdobbs

Your step 10 reads as follows:

1. In the “d:\output” directory rename the files VTS_01_1.VOB through the last one (probably VTS_01_4.VOB) to match the original set names from step 2/3 (in our example it was named VTS_02_X.VOB). Many times you won’t have to rename it because it was 01 anyway. Now move the files (after renaming) to the “d:\original” directory. Remember: DON’T MOVE THE _0 FILE.

Great tutorial!!! Maybe to help non geniuses like me, might be a good idea to instead say “move only the VOB files”…“Remember: don’t move the IFO or BUP files.”

This becomes somewhat clear in step 12 but for us DVD-backup challenged people, it would leave us with no guesswork. LOL

Although this method works very well, it does now add more overhead backing up using DVD2one, due to using IFOEDIT to create the IFOs. I’ve been reading your threads and I understand why this step is important. I didn’t actually time how long IFOEDIT took to do the 8 VOBS for Gladiator but I would guess about 15-20 minutes??? Not really too bad and of course, I like the flexibility of being able to easily manipulate the files and also to burn with the program of my choice.

I commented earlier in this thread that I had success JUST using IFOUPDATE with this same Gladiator movie. Well, it was somewhat successful. It worked properly, menus etc. but it only played in hard disk mode on Pow DVD. RecordNow Max refused to burn it, error message in log said “was not DVD compliant”. I did eventually get it to burn by changing an option but the disk was unreadable on both of my standalones.

I just finished burning, following your tutorial and it works perfectly(watching it now). THANKS again for all your efforts and contributions in DVD land. Great work.

Mike

@likemike

I’m editing the guide to change that step.

I’m sad that you desided to start a new thread instead of continuing the one that i started this will only cause the usual 5000 kodak threads that in the end will just confuse n00bs it’s not polite to backstab your other fellow members! The chapter fix is quite simply just think a bit harder, i will no longer continue on this forum since A MODERATOR shouldn’t have permited such a duplicate thread! Good Luck!

I’m sad that you desided to start a new thread instead of continuing the one that i started this will only cause the usual 5000 kodak threads that in the end will just confuse n00bs it’s not polite to backstab your other fellow members! The chapter fix is quite simply just think a bit harder, i will no longer continue on this forum since A MODERATOR shouldn’t have permited such a duplicate thread! Good Luck!

My Original thread!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64737

P.S. Some people do have a job and like myself try to help others when they can!

Originally posted by jdobbs
[B]@aaron1es

I don’t think you followed the sequence correctly.

@all

I’m happy to outline this method so others may make full backups with DVD2one. But please, if you have problems – don’t throw stones, don’t complain, don’t call the software “crap” – if you don’t like it, just don’t use it.

This method has worked every time (so far) for me:

You need DVDDecrypter (free), IFOEDIT (free), IFOUpdate (free), and DVD2one (v1.01 or .02). You will also need one of the plethora of burning packages.

1. Rip the movie to a directory in file mode using DVDDecrypter. Make sure you select ALL the files in the selection window. For the purposes of this guide we’ll call the destination directory “d:\original”

2. Look at the directory and find the VTS (VOB set) that holds the movie. It is usually the largest set. In the example let’s assume its VTS_02_X.VOB, so the files might be VTS_02_0.VOB through VTS_02_7.VOB.

3. Move (don’t copy – it takes too long) all the files in the VTS except the _0.VOB file to another directory. Let’s call this directory d:\input. Rename them all to VTS_01_X.VOB (X represents whatever number is there already – don’t change it)

4. Run IFOEDIT and push the “Create IFOs” button. Choose the first file in the directory (d:\input\VTS_01_1.VOB). Make sure “Create a single PGC” and “Create Chapter for Each Cell” on clicked on. IFOEDIT will take a few minutes and create a new set of IFO files based upon the CELL structure in the d:\input directory.

5. Now create a new directory and call it d:\output.

6. Right click on in the “d:\original” directory (see step 1) and see how much space it takes (the part that’s left over after you’ve moved the VTS files). This is the amount of space you need to reserve for extras/menus. Let’s assume it is 600MB just for our example.

7. Run DVD2one. You’ll see that the default size is 4472MB. Subtract the number you got in step 6 – so 4472 - 600 = 3872. That’s the size you want to set as output. In addition, to make sure I don’t have to do it over, I subtract a little more. So I’ll use 3800 (its a nice round number) – enter it in the DVD2one size box.

8. Now set your DVD2one source to “d:\input” (or whatever name you used in step 3). Set the destination to “d:\output”. Run DVD2one. You will see that there is always only one PGC at this point no matter what was in the original movie – that’s a good thing. IFOUpdate’s job is to fix that later. Let DVD2one do its magic.

9. At the end you have a new VTS in the “d:\output” directory. It will include files ending in IFO, BUP, and VOB.

10. In the “d:\output” directory rename the files VTS_01_1.VOB through the last one (probably VTS_01_4.VOB) to match the original set names from step 2/3 (in our example it was named VTS_02_X.VOB). Many times you won’t have to rename it because it was 01 anyway. Now move the files (after renaming) to the “d:\original” directory. Remember: DON’T MOVE THE _0 FILE and don’t move (or delete) the .IFO and .BUP files – only VTS_XX_1 through the last of the VOBs. The IFO will be used in step 12…

11. You’re almost done. The VTS exists where it should, and the size is correct – but the sector pointers in the original directory’s VTS_02_0.IFO file points to places that don’t exist anymore. IFOUpdate will fix that.

12. Run IFOUpdate. Set the original IFO Path to “d:\original\VTS_02_0.IFO” (or whatever name matches the VTS you worked on). Set the “Authored IFO Path” to the IFO created by DVD2one (“d:\output\VTS_01_0.IFO”). Under the “Mode” dropdown menu, select “Adjusted Cell Mode”. In the “Options” dropdown menu make sure the only two items checked are “Autocorrect VTS Sectors” and “Autoanalyze Original IFO.”

13. Push the “Update IFO” button.

14. You now have a directory ready to burn using the package of your choice. I normally run PowerDVD to make sure everything works before burning. [/B]

Are you kidding me? Dosen’t this post seem to be a duplicate? Don’t you have any of Your original methods instead of getting the credit of copying my methods as my post will confirm???

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64737

HUNK,

You shouldn’t feel slighted by this thread. It was actually started for some different IFO issues. I, for one give you major props for getting this whole full dvd on a disk with DVD2one started.

JDOBBS is a regular contributor on DVD forums and puts out some really good info, not to mention IFOUPDATE. Your input got the ball rolling for me but in all honesty, it was JDOBBS’s guide that actually set it straight. There were some important steps that I was missing and his guide filled in all the blanks.

There are a lot of newbies/less experienced people on this board like me but only a handful of people like you that know there way around the mysteries of IFO,BUP,VOB and all the other acronyms.

What I’m saying here, is that ALL of the contributions here should be welcome and if it’s props you want then it’s props you’ll get from me. But I have to also give those props to NYPLAYER and of course, JDOBBS. I was finally successful due to your efforts as well as NYPLAYER and JDOBBS tied the whole package together, with in my opinion some different input than yours.

HUNK, I’m sure that most of the forum will always appreciate the efforts of the less DVD-backup challenged minority. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by likemike
[B]HUNK,

You shouldn’t feel slighted by this thread. It was actually started for some different IFO issues. I, for one give you major props for getting this whole full dvd on a disk with DVD2one started.

JDOBBS is a regular contributor on DVD forums and puts out some really good info, not to mention IFOUPDATE. Your input got the ball rolling for me but in all honesty, it was JDOBBS’s guide that actually set it straight. There were some important steps that I was missing and his guide filled in all the blanks.

There are a lot of newbies/less experienced people on this board like me but only a handful of people like you that know there way around the mysteries of IFO,BUP,VOB and all the other acronyms.

What I’m saying here, is that ALL of the contributions here should be welcome and if it’s props you want then it’s props you’ll get from me. But I have to also give those props to NYPLAYER and of course, JDOBBS. I was finally successful due to your efforts as well as NYPLAYER and JDOBBS tied the whole package together, with in my opinion some different input than yours.

HUNK, I’m sure that most of the forum will always appreciate the efforts of the less DVD-backup challenged minority. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Mike [/B]

likemike i don’t want to be a baby but like you were saying i was absent due to work and of course life does go on but i truely believe that another thread shouldn’t have started i would of been pleased that mine would of continued afterall i did half of the initial work and i would of felt better, i’m very very happy that other members(Topguns) resolved the problems that i this morning would of posted but it wasn’t very polite starting the second thread it’s all about having a bit of respect for other peoples time spent on helping others thats the reason for my sorrow because we all know that our hard work on this matter will benefit n00bs and others.

Ok HUNK, I hear ya’ but don’t stop contributing. I know I’m gonna’ need help for a while and when the time comes, maybe I’ll be able to contribute to some other newbies.

It’s all good

Mike

@HUNK4004

Are you kidding me? Dosen’t this post seem to be a duplicate? Don’t you have any of Your original methods instead of getting the credit of copying my methods as my post will confirm???

You have GOT to be kidding ME, right?

First the two posts don’t match – I just read yours.

Second, the method you presented doesn’t work for a large number of DVDs because it doesn’t address multiple PGCs and can create errors in a significant number of the single PGC titles. You can’t just remove an IFO and replace it with the one created by DVD2one without modifications. What about pre and post commands?

Third, about 30 other people, including myself, INVENTED THIS METHOD AND I PERSONALLY WROTE PART OF THE SOFTWARE IT USES about 9 months ago over on the Doom9 forum. It was long before DVD2one existed using other authoring/encoding software and has only been modified to work with DVD2one. In fact the method you presented is an incorrect adaptation of the one I developed in MakeItEasy the week DVD2one was released…

If someone like OLEG, DOOM9, DERROW (author of IFOEDIT), MPUCODER (the DVD expert who dug throught the code and documented it for everyone), or one of the other true pioneers of DVD backups had posted this I might think “yeah, we’ve all borrowed from each others work” – but who the hell are you and where have you been for the last several years while we’ve been digging through the internals of DVD?

Last, and most importantly, you are taking this stuff WAY too seriously. The point is to help people – not to take credit.

@Everyone else

See why I put disclaimers on the front of everything I write telling people not to throw stones? When I try to help the nOObs with guides I get blindsided by someone wishing to be the DVD Messiah. Meanwhile the people that have been doing this for a while (the real experts) are sending me PMs asking why I’m wasting my time trying to help out the nOObs and AOLers when I should be building tools for INFINIFILM titles, seamless branching titles, and multi-angles. You just can’t win.

jdobbs,
Every one in the DVD world, knows how good you are, and all of your efforts are appretiated, and wish you all the best in the future. Just don’t let “narrow minded” people like hunk4004 get into you.

hunk, why don’t you let it go, the point here is to help each other to provide the best and fastest method in backing up our DVDs not to take credits, you’ve got to admit that jdobbs corrected your method, your was a good start and we thank you for that, but you’ve got to accept people that will modify your method to the better.

@Boiling Ice

Not a problem – as I suggested to Hunk, I don’t take these things too seriously.

I probably should also give credit to JOSEPH2, who came out with the first post (I know of) discussing the possibilities of this method back in February 2002.

By the way, I have every intention of automating this procedure as well. That’s because I’m very thrilled about the possibilities of DVD2one and especially the way it encodes. I’m not sure, but I think it may be using “within the compressed realm” transcoding which is a great direction. If not, it is even more amazing that these speeds could be attained using conventional methods! It wasn’t that long ago that we were all boasting about computers and encoders that could do MPEG-2 encoding at 6 frames per second (at a much lower quality than what you see in DVD2one).

Originally posted by jdobbs
[B]@HUNK4004

You have GOT to be kidding ME, right?

First the two posts don’t match – I just read yours.

Second, the method you presented doesn’t work for a large number of DVDs because it doesn’t address multiple PGCs and can create errors in a significant number of the single PGC titles. You can’t just remove an IFO and replace it with the one created by DVD2one without modifications. What about pre and post commands?

Third, about 30 other people, including myself, INVENTED THIS METHOD AND I PERSONALLY WROTE PART OF THE SOFTWARE IT USES about 9 months ago over on the Doom9 forum. It was long before DVD2one existed using other authoring/encoding software and has only been modified to work with DVD2one. In fact the method you presented is an incorrect adaptation of the one I developed in MakeItEasy the week DVD2one was released…

If someone like OLEG, DOOM9, DERROW (author of IFOEDIT), MPUCODER (the DVD expert who dug throught the code and documented it for everyone), or one of the other true pioneers of DVD backups had posted this I might think “yeah, we’ve all borrowed from each others work” – but who the hell are you and where have you been for the last several years while we’ve been digging through the internals of DVD?

Last, and most importantly, you are taking this stuff WAY too seriously. The point is to help people – not to take credit.

@Everyone else

See why I put disclaimers on the front of everything I write telling people not to throw stones? When I try to help the nOObs with guides I get blindsided by someone wishing to be the DVD Messiah. Meanwhile the people that have been doing this for a while (the real experts) are sending me PMs asking why I’m wasting my time trying to help out the nOObs and AOLers when I should be building tools for INFINIFILM titles, seamless branching titles, and multi-angles. You just can’t win.
[/B]

I NEVER WANTED CREDIT i was dissapointed when a second thread was started on the same issue and the author even excused himself upon starting and furthmore i never said that i invented and patented anything i simply addressed a possible solution for “Menu’ed Dvds using DVD2one 1.0.2 without the need for fancy programs FOR FIRST” on this forum in my thread then a second one was started on the same subject and i found that unpolite period there’s no need to get hot because i know very well that your a Topgun in the matter so don’t take anything personal, i really don’t know what to say maybe sorry that i work for a living and didn’t follow up in the last 3 days i know very well life goes on but I was shocked to see a duplicate thread when this morning i wanted to post my working solution in regards of the odd chapter behavior however i’m glad that the solution was givin, afterall we are all here to contribute.

Originally posted by aaron1es
[B]jdobbs,

I decided to compress one of the extras. Moved its VOBs to a new directory. These consisted of 2 VOBs (VTS_05_1.VOB and VTS_05_2.VOB). I ran ifoedit (Create IFOs) against these VOBs that were renamed VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB for ifoedit requirements. Both “Create a single PGC” and “Create Chapter for Each Cell” were checked. This created VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP and VTS_01_0.IFO.

I ran DVD2ONE against this directory. I then renamed the single DVD2ONE produced VOB to VTS_05_1.VOB and moved it to the original directory.

I then pointed ifoupdate to the original directory and VTS_05_0.IFO and to the authored directory and the DVD2ONE produced VTS_01_0.IFO. Under the “Mode” dropdown menu, “Adjusted Cell Mode” is checked. In the “Options” dropdown menu only two items are checked: “Autocorrect VTS Sectors” and “Autoanalyze Original IFO.” I press IFO Update and get an error –

“Original/New cell counts don’t match. Aborting…”

What’s a body to do…? I plead both the 5th and stupidity at this juncture! [/B]

I had this exact same error on one of my attempts. I found that if I changed the mode to “Standard” rather than “Adjusted Cell” it worked fine and the movie played OK.

Can one of the experts please comment on this, ie what is the difference between the two settings and if Standard mode is going to miss an update step that really needs to be done.

Thanks

Followed your guide step by step. All went well till i try to play. Power dvd (from ifoedit) wont play it so i tried to burn. Nero says that vob 5 is missing (the one eliminated by dvd2one) Iignored complience and burned. ifoUpdate appears to have processed the file properly. When I play the movie on powerDVD all I get is the starting menu and it wont go any further.

However it plays fine all features and extras on my pioneer 343 (which plays anything i throw at it!)

This is not a compaint just looking for some suggestions.

I, of course, DO NOT apologize for starting this new thread, although I’m sorry you are so distressed over the fact. The issue at hand was how to handle IFOEDIT to get things working properly, since your method was not working for me. I had the feeling that the use of IFOEDIT was key to the issue and decided to get a better handle on how it could be used to produce a workable movie with menus. Thus, I started a new thread with that as the initial premise.

In my initial post I fully explicated the steps I used to produce a NON-WORKING movie. I certainly DID NOT say here is what I invented to create a working movie with menus. This should be quite clear to anyone who reads my initial post!

Was my purpose served? Yes, jd walked through the steps, including the use of both ifoedit and ifoupdate in the process. I think the effort was well worth the cost. Once again, I’m sorry you feel I tried to slight you somehow, but it was clearly not the case nor my intention.

@DVD Maniac

The difference is very technical so bear with me.

In standard mode an assumption is made that the newly authored IFO has the exact same PGC configuration as the original. It moves sector pointers directly from the source to destination cell tables. It also updates the original so the chapter counts, positions, etc match the newly authored (they can change). It will only work with single PGC films that have no multiple angles or places in which two parts of the IFO table may point to the same CELL.

In short – it can significantly change the original based upon what you’ve decided in the newly authored IFO. It is meant mainly to be used with high level authoring packages like DVDMaestro and Scenarist on single PGC movies and expects the author to have the necessary knowledge to tell it what to do.

Adjusted cell mode breaks the DVD down to its lowest IFO referenced level (the CELL) and searches through the original IFOs to find duplications etc. You will find many DVDs in which there appear to be 8 or 9 PGCs that are independent of one another, but point to the same physical CELLS as located at disc sectors. Adjusted mode then reassembles the CELLS after reauthoring into the correct order so it matches the original intent of the DVD. With “Ignore Angles” on it also will recreate the original by repointing the alternate angle CELLs to the one that was truly kept.

There’s more to it – but thats the short version. You can find more information in the IFOUpdate Readme file. You might try going into IFOUpdate and looking at the graphic representation of the PGC to CELL structure for the IFO you are ripping to get a better idea of what I’m talking about.

Hope this explanation doesn’t just cloud the waters even more…

@hunk4004:

Do you know who is jdobbs?
I am going to give some information: He is the creator of IfoUpdate and Makeiteasy, and also the creator of many guides all related to DVD, VCD, SVCD, authoring, etc… He also has a job as moderator in DOOM9, and collaborates with other programmers like DERROW (Ifoedit).
Possibly he is going to be the guy that would make DVD2one makes 1:1 copy (until Erwing finally wakeup from his dreams).
So little NEWBIE, better shut-up your fu…mouth and let the guy do its work. He really knows what is talking about…
And back to business, do you thing your method may work 100% of the time: WRONG. Do you think that you invent the “wheel”? Sorry my friend but it was already invented, possibly a long time ago, even before you think of having a DVD player. Your method maybe works with “Minority Report”, but with sets of VOBS that have many “titles” ( multiple PGC, you kwow what is that? ), your procedure would make a NON COMPATIBLE DVD, because your are only processing 1 title, and the others are eliminated when you replace original VOBS with the new created. So better use jdobbs guide for a 100% reliable conversion.

Hear the experts…

Milkman