Memory?

vbimport

How come when you buy any hardware such as flash drives, ipods, etc, the memory is always a little less then specified?

For instance, my 30gig ipod only holds 27.84 gigs? What the space that is missing?

The difference is a result of comparing two different definitions of kilo/Mega/Giga etc.

One definition is based on decimal (SI) prefixes: k=1000, M=1000^2, G=1000^3 …

The other is based on binary prefixes: k=2^10=1024, M=2^20, G=2^30 …

Those who sell drives and disks/discs use decimal prefixes, perhaps in order to claim the highest possible numbers.

Operating systems usually report sizes in binary prefixes, thus reporting lower numbers than for decimal prefixes.

[quote=peck1234;2160036]How come when you buy any hardware such as flash drives, ipods, etc, the memory is always a little less then specified?

For instance, my 30gig ipod only holds 27.84 gigs? What the space that is missing?[/quote]

[quote=DrageMester;2160043]The difference is a result of comparing two different definitions of kilo/Mega/Giga etc.

One definition is based on decimal (SI) prefixes: k=1000, M=1000^2, G=1000^3 …

The other is based on binary prefixes: k=2^10=1024, M=2^20, G=2^30 …

Those who sell drives and disks/discs use decimal prefixes, perhaps in order to claim the highest possible numbers.

Operating systems usually report sizes in binary prefixes, thus reporting lower numbers than for decimal prefixes.[/quote]

[B]THANKS soooo mutch for the Topic and Reply [/B]My Son asked me the other Day .
said ill look it up ,Now i can just Show him this post :clap:

Or Screenshot it 4 Him :bigsmile:

…plus don’t forget that however you count the bytes, some space is also taken up by the disk filing system itself.

I purchased a 1 TB HDD and, it only shows 920 GB so, HDD companies state more HDD space to sell the product. However, PC RAM they are honest about it :smiley:

Unfortunately they don’t tell people or endusers that 1TB is the unformatted capacity and not the true capacity when formatted. Now if the formatted capacaity is 1TB I be more then happy when formatted in windows xp.