Memory upgrade problem

vbimport

I have a HP Pavilion 6640C with Windows 2000 installed that I am trying to upgrade from 256MB to its maximum of 384MB. It has 3 memory banks and each one is intended to hold 128MB. Therefore, 384MB is the max. However, it isn’t allowing me to add anymore for some reason. It had two 128MB chips installed and I added a third 128MB chip. It starts to load Win2000, but then craps out. I get a blue screen during the booting process that gives me an error that reads the following:

“The ACPI BIOS is not fully compliant with the ACPI specifications. Please contact your system vendor for an update BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation”

I have contacted HP and they informed me that there is no BIOS update available for this unit. The memory type is SDRAM and all the chips are PC100 speeds. What exactly is ACPI and does anybody know what the above message is referring to? Its saying to hit the “F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers”, but I already have a OS installed. I have also tried switching the memory chips around so they are in different banks, but no luck. Could it be a setting that needs to be changed within Win2000? Any other clues what to do here?

Yep, I have the same problem. In doing some research I found that most people resolve the issue by only running one stick of RAM. I don’t like that solution. HP does not have a BIOS upgrade that will fix the issue. I’m thinking about reinstalling windows and hitting F7 during the driver detection process to see if that fixes it. I’m pretty steamed with HP. I was on with their tech support via chat yesterday trying to get an updated BIOS. They tried to sell me a new system. I said “Why would I buy a new system from you when you can’t even help me get the one I already have working?” Incredible!!! I also have an old motherboard that’s dead with the same chipset. I’m thinking about swapping the BIOS with this one and seeing if that works. I wouldn’t recommend this, but I’m brave (and desperate). Bottom line: HP is bogus for hardware and support. Future sales = 0.

Update the BIOS - your only chance.

Like sheph has said, you can’t update the BIOS. I too tried by contacting HP and they said there isn’t one available. I tried reinstalling Win2000 with 384MB of RAM. I hit the F7 key as isntructed during the driver detection and it seemed to work at first. While I got through most of it & further than I thought, it hung up at one point and I couldn’t go any farther. I’m thinking (& hoping) my problem was due to trying to install it on a 250GB hard drive. Maybe Windows 2000 can’t handle that for an initial installation. I’m gonna try a smaller size (less than 137GB) and see if that helps.

It’s likely that you have one of many boards that have 3 RAM slots but cannot handle having all 3 used. To troubleshoot the RAM itself, run Memtest86 from a floppy and see what it says. Also post back what the board displays during POST during the memory test. You may need to turn off “silent boot” in BIOS.

w2k can handle that, of course. Just install SP4 or SP5.

But the main factor here is the BIOS and internal IDE controller.
If it can’t handle that, buy a cheap internal IDE controller!