Memory Problems

vbimport

I recently purchased a 1GB stick of PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory and received it today. Upon installation, my system doesn’t seem to recognise it. I tried with just that stick installed but the PC wouldn’t load up. I viewed the specs for it and they are practically the same as what i have installed. Here are the specs for the new RAM i bought:

[ul][B][SIZE=4][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#633003][COLOR=#cc3300][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][COLOR=#32251f][SIZE=3]
[li]128x4 DDR 400Mhz [COLOR=#0000ff]184Pin DIMM Module
[/li][li]Performance: PC3200
[/li][li]DQ DQ Burst Frequency: 400MHz
[/li][li]Inputs and outputs are SSTL-18 compatible
[/li][li]SDRAM have 4 internal banks for concurrent operation
[/li][li]Differential clock inputs
[/li][li]Data is read or written on both clock edges
[/li][li]Bi-directional data strobe with one clock cycle preamble and one-half clock post-amble
[/li][li]Address and control signals are fully synchronous to positive clock edge
[/li][li]Programmable Operation:
[/li][li]Burst Type: Sequential or Interleave
[/li][li]Burst Length: 4, 8
[/li][li]Operation: Burst Read and Write
[/li][li]Auto Refresh (CBR) and Self Refresh Modes
[/li][li]Automatic and controlled precharge commands
[/li][li]Serial Presence Detect
[/li][li]SDRAMs in FBGA Package
[/li][li]
RoHs compliance [/ul]The mobo i have is a Gigabyte GA-81865GME-775-RH and specs can be found here:
[/li]http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2568&ProductName=GA-8I865GME-775-RH.
extra info:
l 184-pin unbuffered DIMM
l Density: HIGH
l Maximum 6.4GB/s bandwidth
l JEDEC standard 2.5 +/-0.1V power supply
l 128x4 x2 component configuration
l CAS Latency 3.0.2.5
l 4 Bank
l Off-chip driver (OCD) impedance adjustment, and on die termination (ODT)

Any help would be great.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

look for the word buffered or unbuffered they are 2 different types, i do not see the word unbuffered on what you got vs what the board ask for.

bean55

Well the 2 sticks i already have installed are unbuffered and work fine. The one i purchased says it’s unbuffered too

Have you tried upgrading bios?
//Danne

dazzab80

I also noticed that your description has DDR and then 4 lines down says SDRAM I have not seen that before.
The boards spec says it can handle 1 Gig ram but it would not hurt to upgrade bios.

bean55

What brand is the memory you got

How will that make a difference as not great on the BIOS situation

your brand of ram may not be configured in your present bios,your board shows 4 bios upgrades since it was made.Or you may have just gotten a bad stick,do you know someone that uses that type of ram that they could try it out in there machine?

bean55

Well i have just upgraded the BIOS from 5.00 to 6.00 but the memory still doesn’t work. Could it be that the stick is running a density of 128x4 whereas my mobo is 128x8?

I believe the mobo is 128x4 x( 2 for dual channel ) so the 128x 4 is the same.What brand of ram do you have? is it on the compatable sheet from the mobo link from above?

bean55

It’s an AUM/TA which i’ve never heard of. Got it off ebay!!! It’s not on the sheet, but neither is the sticks i have installed now.

I also never heard of them. Is it possible to try ram in someone else’s machine? That’s all I’ve got for now,I will try and research further .

bean55

I don’t know anyone else who’d let me try in there system to b honest

Here’s where i got it from:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-1GB-PC3200-DDR-400-PC-3200-2700-2100-DDR-RAM-MEMORY_W0QQitemZ120223224542QQihZ002QQcategoryZ80202QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

dazzab80

You may not have a compatable mobo.Looking over the link I found this :
"Compatible with most other system boards and Systems with AMD Processors. We always recommend you check with manufacturer or read manaul first to ensure 100% compatibility.Designed to specifically work with AMD based Motherboards. "

They mention AMD based mobo and the mobo that you have does not support AMD

Also : " IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK US. If you are NOT sure, ASK US before buying, Give us the Model & Manufacturer of your System or your System Board, or any other question.If you have Intel, Dell or Asus Based Systems - Contact us for right type of memory solution. Please note, this module is not designed to work with nVidia chipset

bean55

Well i’ve been in touch with them and waiting to hear back.

In general I’ve found Intel’s 8**-chip be a bit picky regarding ram, Crucial PC2700 has worked fine though while PC3200 have failed from other brands such as Kingston.
//Danne

Well i just used the system scanner at crucial’s site and the result showed my new RAM as being installed even though my system don’t show it. Getting very confused now.

dazzab80
Did you go into your bios settings when you first booted up after installing the new ram ? Most of the time the bios wants you to go in and save new settings/new equipment so it can read it properly when it reboots.

bean55

I went into the BIOS and loaded the optimised defaults as i was suggested before but as i’m relatively inexperienced with BIOS i really don’t know what i’m looking for. All i remember seeing is that the extended mem in BIOS says 511MB installed as have a 512 stick and the new 1gig one installed

well just went into BIOS and says CPU frequency is 133 and memory frequency is 333. I just tried changing the CPU to 166 making mem 415 and my 512 stick burnt out. Just proves i’m playing with fire on this lol