Memory Latency Speed?

Im looking to buy some memory… ive been looking at Tigerdirect.com, and i noticed some of their chips say 2-2.5 and others dont even list it… am i to assume that those are the ones of 3 and over that should stay away from? i called them directly and some guy who couldnt really speak english had no idea what i was talking about… thanks for the help

CAS Latency is the delay, in clock cycles, between when the READ command is issued and when the data on the DQ pins is valid. Standard values for DDR memory are 2 and 2.5 clock cycles. Values of 3 and/or 1.5 clock cycles are available in some systems and are supported by some (but not all) RAMs. Note that a CAS latency of 2 cycles means that the data is valid on the rising edge of the second clock after READ is issued; a latency of 2.5 cycles means data will be available on the falling edge of the second clock following READ.

Basically 2-2-2-5 is quicker than 4-4-4-12. Lower is basically better.

The biggest thing to stick with is a reliable well known brand. In reality the performance gains from CAS 3.0 to 2.5 is 1% - 2% and to CAS 2.0 is 3% - 4% which can be a little higher when running games.

Just a suggestion. Go to www.newegg.com instead of Tiger. I think you’ll find better prices and cheaper shipping. Tiger hits you pretty hard on shipping costs and over all, IMO, newegg is a better company to do business with. I’ve purchased from both and the egg beats Tiger hands down.

faster CAS - TRCD - TRP - TRAS are more important than higher memory frequencies on the Athlon64 platform since the memory controller is on-die and RAM bandwidth is hardly an issue…the P4 platform benefits more from higher memory frequencies than from faster timings…

so…depending on what platform you’re on will determine whether or not you should go with lower latency RAM or higher frequency rated RAM…

and will also depend on whether or not you push the FSB/HTT in your machine…