Memory and 64-bit compatability

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba Satellite Pro A120. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I’ve got a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 laptop (model no. PSAC1E-05T021EN) that came fitted with 2x1GB Samsung DDR2 533MHz 200-pin RAM. I want to upgrade to at least 4GB so my first question is: does my machine support more than 2GB RAM?

Motherboard details (From CPU-Z)
Model: Portable PC (0x000003EC - 0x103CB030) version A0
BIOS: ACPI Bios version 3.20

I’ve got my eyes on some 2x2GB Patriot DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400 200-pin RAM that’s going cheap. However, will this be compatible even though frequency is different? Will performance suffer as a result?

Also, I’m hoping to upgrade to 64-bit OS to make the most of my RAM - will my system support this and what’s your advice?

Thanks

[B]Memory must be an [U]exact[/U] match to the motherboard[/B]. The ONLY authority on the correct memory to use is the [U]manufacturer of the motherboard[/U], which MAY NOT be the manufacturer of the PC.

In addition, if you go by written specs, you MAY end up with the wrong memory. Some written specs are missing critical info.

[B]Example of FULL specs[/B]:
1GB, DDR PC2100, CL=2.5, ECC, Registered
128Meg x 72, 184 Pin DIMM, DDR266, 2.5v

One of the best ways to find out what memory to use ([I]used by corporate IT[/I]) is [B]4AllMemory’s [Check My System][/B].

This will download a small temporary tool that will scan your motherboard and return a WEB page listing what you already have installed and compatible memory upgrades. For name brand motherboards, the part number will be the manufacturer’s (like my MSI motherboard at home, returned the MSI part number). Highly suggest you print and file the page for the future.

You don’t have to buy from [B]4AllMemory[/B], but their prices are reasonable. At the very least you’ll have the true spec for compatible memory.

Hi,[QUOTE=tunaaa;2443350]Hi, I’ve got a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 laptop (model no. PSAC1E-05T021EN) that came fitted with 2x1GB Samsung DDR2 533MHz 200-pin RAM. I want to upgrade to at least 4GB so my first question is: does my machine support more than 2GB RAM?[/quote]According to Kingston, you can install up to 4 GB:

But since they want to sell RAM, they might be biased :wink: I’d suggest to check the manual and also ask Toshiba support.

Edit: 4 GB is supported, see Toshiba Computers UK website

I’ve got my eyes on some 2x2GB Patriot DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400 200-pin RAM that’s going cheap. However, will this be compatible even though frequency is different? Will performance suffer as a result?
Well, the chipset supports only DDR2-667. There could be compatibility issues with higher rated memory.

Also, I’m hoping to upgrade to 64-bit OS to make the most of my RAM - will my system support this and what’s your advice?
The main problem is getting working drivers. Also, there might be Bios restrictions that won’t allow to use full 4 GB memory. In that case, you could stick with 32bit OS as well.

Edit2: No Vista64 drivers available from Toshiba (link see above).

Michael

[QUOTE=tecknode;2446913][B]Memory must be an [U]exact[/U] match to the motherboard[/B]. The ONLY authority on the correct memory to use is the [U]manufacturer of the motherboard[/U], which MAY NOT be the manufacturer of the PC.[/quote]You seem to have missed that the thread starter has a laptop.

You don’t have to buy from [B]beep[/B], but their prices are reasonable. At the very least you’ll have the true spec for compatible memory.
Hopefully you are not related with that company. :cop:

Michael