Memorex vs Ridata

vbimport

Which pack of 25-dvd should I purchase?

Memorex 25 dvd-r
memorex 25 dvd+r
Ridata 25 dvd-r

comments or any suggestions?
My main use of it is sharing videos with family and friends so compatibility is a main concern! I have a lite-on 451S GSB7 burner.
Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by httpftp123

so compatibility is a main concern!
If so, Memorex 25 dvd-r ( most likely Taiyo Yuden )
and Memorex 25 dvd+r ( Ricoh ) seem to be the optimal option.
The rest is up to you.

Aye Ridata vaires so much in quality you would be better off with the memorex if its at a comparable price.:wink:

Originally posted by BoSkin
If so, Memorex 25 dvd-r ( most likely Taiyo Yuden )
and Memorex 25 dvd+r ( Ricoh ) seem to be the optimal option.
The rest is up to you.

This is quoted from dvdrhelp forum:

These are the Memorex DVD+R 4X discs with the purple label on the package. Memorex (like Fuji) uses the same labeling for single discs and 5-Pack boxes. The single discs and 5-packs are top-grade 4X Ricoh discs.

Unfortunately, the 25 spindles are NOT Ricoh’s like I had expected but these unpredictable, inferior quality CMC Mag discs. Fuji uses the same marketing trick with their discs and labels: single discs and 5-packs are 4X Taiyo Yudens but 25 spindles are 2X Ritek’s. It’s the 2nd time that I am misled into buying something other than I thought.

It’s really outrageous that manufacturers can so casually screw consumers this way. There should be a law forcing DVD recordable manufacturers/distributors to clearly print the Media ID code of their discs on the packaging.

is this true?

I’m planning on purchasing the memorex at future shop and wonder if anybody can tell if these are cmc discs or richo or taiyo yuden?
Thanks in advance!

They are on sale for $29 CAD at futureshop

httpftp123
Without knowing where you are at, any estimations of what the Memorex is are meaningless. It can be completely different media in every package.

[B]This is quoted from dvdrhelp forum:

is this true?

I’m planning on purchasing the memorex at future shop and wonder if anybody can tell if these are cmc discs or richo or taiyo yuden?
Thanks in advance!

They are on sale for $29 CAD at futureshop
[/B]

Oops, typing at the same time.
There is no way to tell from the package what is inside.
They are not Taiyo Yuden, that’s for sure.

Originally posted by Jamos
Aye Ridata vaires so much in quality you would be better off with the memorex if its at a comparable price.:wink:

Some people here at this forum have posted that the ridata is “grade a” ritek media and the quality is consistent. Have you had bad experiences with ridata?

I’m quite confused, in the lite-on subforum alot of people have posted successful scans of the Ridata (RITEKG04) but memorex seems to be varying in different types of manufacturers , thus, varying in quality of burns.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Oops, typing at the same time.
There is no way to tell from the package what is inside.
They are not Taiyo Yuden, that’s for sure.

So in other words, it would come down to luck when purchasing this memorex pack? it would either be CMC or Richo right as I have read in the other posts?

If they are Richo, which one should I get?
If they are CMC, should I get Ridata instead?

Thanks for all the help! :wink:

[B]So in other words, it would come down to luck when purchasing this memorex pack? it would either be CMC or Richo right as I have read in the other posts?

If they are CMC, should I get Ridata instead?

Thanks for all the help! :wink: [/B]

Luck, yes. Ricoh does not make DVD-R, so they will be Ritek, CMC or may even something else. Think of it as a birthday present, you have to open it to see what’s inside. :wink:

Which is better for you depends on your specific burner, both are decent media.

[B]Luck, yes. Ricoh does not make DVD-R, so they will be Ritek, CMC or may even something else. Think of it as a birthday present, you have to open it to see what’s inside. :wink:

Which is better for you depends on your specific burner, both are decent media. [/B]

hmmm, may even be something else?? :eek:
I have a lite-on 451S gsb7 burner.
which is better then?

I said Memorex 25 DVD +R ( “plus” ) were Ricoh, didn’t I ?

I don’t recommend DVD-R for any of the LiteOn burners, except TY and Maxell. Call it a personal bias.

For DVD+R, Ricoh should be fine. If you need to be certain of getting Ricoh, Memorex isn’t the best choice. Fuji +R is always Ricoh, Maxell and TDK are usually Ricoh. Ridata +R will be either Ritek or Ricoh, which are argueably the same media.

Ridata +R will be either Ritek or Ricoh, which are argueably the same media.

Dunno about the 4x Riteks, but the 2.4x Riteks are nothing like the 2.4x Ricohs. A very different dye seems to be used in the Riteks.

Originally posted by code65536

Dunno about the 4x Riteks, but the 2.4x Riteks are nothing like the 2.4x Ricohs.
It’s a bit offtopic, since the original question was about Ridata 25 DVD - R , not “+” .

Dunno about the 4x Riteks, but the 2.4x Riteks are nothing like the 2.4x Ricohs. A very different dye seems to be used in the Riteks.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but the same might be said of any 2 batches of the same Ritek or Ricoh. :sad:

It’s a bit offtopic, since the original question was about Ridata 25 DVD - R , not “+” .

Yea, but rdgrimes had changed the subject slightly by talking about the RiData + and suggesting that he use + and not - :wink:

suggesting that he use + and not - :wink:
The suggestion was right anyway.

The suggestion was right anyway.

Oh, I don’t dispute that one bit. :wink: I almost exclusively use + discs on my LiteOn…

personally i dont like to be suprised at what i buy…thats why i get my media from here www.accaproducts.com then i know pretty much of what im getting.

HEY THIS IS MY 1K POST!:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Jamos
HEY THIS IS MY 1K POST!:stuck_out_tongue:

I’d imagine that most people, if they were to announce that, would do so when the count hits 1000, not 1024. :stuck_out_tongue: You nerd, you. :wink: