Memorex DVDRW F16 I/O error when ripping/burning

vbimport

I own a Memorex DVD+/- DLRWL1 F16 drive. Windows XP fully Updated. Updated firmware. All updated programs. Any DVD/CD and any program.
CloneDVD spits out “the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error” after about 60% ripping completion as do all the others.

I recently re-formatted, everything was working fine before I did; just
thought it needed cleaning after 2 years. Well, now I cannot burn dvd’s
or cd’s with my DVD drive. The catch is, I found out I can
burn cd’s using Windows Media Player, but not anything else like
Cdrwin, CloneCD/DVD, DVDShrink or Nero, it spits out an error after the lead in.
I can install programs with no problem with the DVDRW drive.
I checked for and found no Starforce entries on my computer using the Starforce removal tool.

The only other thing after the reformat that I did was install a new IDE controller card because the old one went out when netgears
drivers kept blue-screening my computer. The one problem I have noticed with the controller card is that when it is installed, I cannot boot to cd from either the cd or dvd drive. Other than that, the cdrw works fine and can write/read no problem.

The dvdrw and cdrw drives are on the second IDE channel on the
Motherboard, I have a controller card because the second hard drive is
250 Gb and the motherboard wont recognize it as the correct size.
(A7A266) The controller card does have 2 IDE slots on them, but as I
said, I am using it just for the second larger drive.

The only thing that baffles me is that I can burn
on my DVDRW drive using Windows media player, but nothing else. I
cannot rip or copy anything, and my CDRW drive works fine, yet they
DVDRW and CDRW drives are on the same IDE cable.

Check your DMA settings, first. Then try to reinstall IDE drivers. Try with setting your drive as primary or secondary master (experiment a little bit).

I think you might have hit something. I have an Ali Ide controller in installed under device manager, but I cannot change DMA settings as I have no primary or secondary IDE controller installed under the device manager.

Controller cards have many difficulties to manage correctly optical devices.

My suggestion is to use controller card only for HDD, and install your optical drives in IDE slots on mainboard.

If your controller card support boot, then install your primary HD on the card and your opticals on the primary IDE channel on mainboard. And be sure that DMA is enabled. Some mainboards require that DMA must be enabled also in BIOS,so check it too.

Check also jumpers: two devices set both as master (for example) create conflicts.

Hope this can help

The dvdrw and cdrw drives are on the second IDE channel on the
Motherboard, I have a PCI IDE controller card because the second hard drive is 250 Gb and the motherboard wont recognize it as the correct size.
(A7A266) The controller card does have 2 IDE slots on them, but as I
said, I am using it just for the second larger drive only.

Like I said, I dont see a primary or secondary controller installed un device manager, thats the only thing I can see that would be throwing it off. Everything else is as it was before the reformat other than the IDE controller card being a different brand.