Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2...which Liteon is it?

vbimport

Hi,

I just got a Memorex 16X Drive (DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2), thinking it was an NEC 3520. Instead, its a liteon (mediatek chipset and drive is IDENTICAL in size, button placement, etc, to my other Liteon (a 411).

I think its a 1673, but I’m not positive and want to be before using Omnipatcher to update it with the newest firmware (read 1673 can be crossflashed to 1693).

Nero reports:
Drive Information

Drive : Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : JWS5
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 2005-02-18
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 2005/02/18 22:23
Drive Letter : H:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 X
Write Speed : 48 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 5
Changes Vendor : 4

Disc Information (H:)

Type : - no disc inserted -

It is the LiteOn 1673S.

Thanks for the help. I tried burning my 8X MCC -R discs with it as stock Memorex, and Nero wouldn’t complete the verification process due to errors.

Crossflashed it with Omnipatcher using JS07, now Nero verifies no prob and the Kprobe results are as good as my refurb NEC 2500. Still wish I got a 3520, though…I already have a 1673 on its way and don’t really need two.

Thanks again

How much you want for the 1673 that is on the way?

EDIT: If you are in the U.S.

Sorry, that is going to my uncle. I was going to give him whatever was the “worse” drive (I’m not mean, the drive works fine and he won’t be making but a couple of discs…plus, its free).

I now have a:
Pioneer 109
NEC 3500
BenQ 1620
Liteon 1673 (times two…)

–off topic–
But right now, I REALLY wish I had my old NEC 2500…I’ve never seen a drive that could handle both quality and crappy discs so well. If I ever see a deal on a rebadge, I’m pouncing on it (right now, can’t find a 2500/2510, rebadge or OEM, for less than TWICE the price of a new 3520!).

From my tests, the Pioneer 109 handles better quality discs the best and the NEC 3500 and the Liteon 1673 handles the poorer quality discs the best, but none are as good as the NEC 2500 combined. I got PI scans under 20 on my better quality discs, and under 150 on the worse discs I’ve ever seen (Longton001 sold as Sonic Thermal printable). No other drive can write Longtons as good, and the Pioneer can’t even finish the burn with Nero. And this BenQ is my second, the first I returned because I figured it must be bad (crappy scans from such a recomended drive). This thing is as good (bad) as the one I returned…and this is the “Pro” version. Ugh.

It looks like pretty much across the board, manufacturers are focusing more on speed than quality. Why anyone would want speed over quality is mind boggling…I guess that new “16X” on the box draws consumers in :confused:

hi qwertybot, do you still have the org memorex firmware backup as i am looking for JWS5 fw for the 16x memorex DL DVDRW. Was flashed to liteon but is now worse then the org fw, but i didnt back it up, :frowning: Would be really greatful if u can email to me?
e-mail address removed

Thnkx in advance sasarchiver

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2082

Hi

I bought this burner from Best Buy about a week ago. It didn’t detect the DVD+R that came with the it, and it doesn’t detect some other blank media I’ve thrown at it. It will read CDs blank or not and media DVDs though. I flashed it to whatever you guys are talking about (1693s), but it still won’t detect any blank DVDs. Is there something I can do to fix this problem or am I going to have to return sometime soon? Thanks in advance.

return the drive…

Hi, and welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

chok0 is right…

Firmware is not some sort of magic potion, and firmware will NEVER ever fix a physically defective drive, so if you ever suspect that a drive is physically defective, then try to determine if it is a physical problem before using firmware as a solution (and only if you determine that it’s not a physical problem).

From the sound of it, you probably got a dud. But before going through the hassle of a return, check the usual suspects. Is it set up correctly? Is the necessary software installed correctly? Check for user error. Etc.

(this post is more of a reminder to the rest of the forum and not really directed at you because this is something that we see often; people getting the mistaken impression that firmware can solve a lot of problems)