Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1

vbimport

Counld someone please tell me what firmware i need to unlock the 2x rips.

This is a royal pain in the ass if you no what i mean i have ran Dvd info and this tell me that this is a Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1,
03/05/23 PIONEER rom chip, Firmware revision is 1.05, 2000KB buffer, interface is a ATAPI-3, regional control is RPC-2.

I have read in these formums that i beleive that the pioneer moded firmware is the one to go with can anyone confirm this and give me a link to where i can get it and the flashing program.

I would also like to back uo mt original firmware if possible just in case something goes astray.

Could someone direct me to a piece of software that will do this job for me.

Thanks in advance.

Greg :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Yes, you need to convert your drive to a Pioneer using the modified firmware. Use the Universal Flasher: OEM_Pioneer_DVR-106_UNIVERSAL_Flash_1.0.zip

You will not be able to flash back to a Memorex, read why here.

Originally posted by gzukowsky
[B]Counld someone please tell me what firmware i need to unlock the 2x rips.

This is a royal pain in the ass if you no what i mean i have ran Dvd info and this tell me that this is a Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1,
03/05/23 PIONEER rom chip, Firmware revision is 1.05, 2000KB buffer, interface is a ATAPI-3, regional control is RPC-2.

I have read in these formums that i beleive that the pioneer moded firmware is the one to go with can anyone confirm this and give me a link to where i can get it and the flashing program.

I would also like to back uo mt original firmware if possible just in case something goes astray.

Could someone direct me to a piece of software that will do this job for me.

Thanks in advance.

Greg :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: [/B]

Hi Greg

I just got one of the Memorex dual x1’s today and was pleased to find out these are rebadged Pioneers. So, if you flash it to a 106d you can rip at 2x? How has the firmflash work for you?
I’m a total n00b who will trying out his 1st using the dvd-rw media that came with the drive. I’m searching for the dvd info prog. to dbl. check the firmware
thanx,
Jeff in LA
:bow: :bow: :bow:

General

• For clarification, the DVD drive being discussed here is the Memorex Dual Format DVD Recorder (a.k.a. Dual X-1) (Part Number: 32023235 - http://www.memorex.com/products/product_display.php?cid=161&pid=584&oid=671) with the silver tray and black bezel. Looks sweet in my silver/black themed Dell box. :slight_smile:

• I used the flash files from the link provided by dhc014 - http://flashman.rpc1.org/Firmware/PIONEER/DVR-106D/OEM_Pioneer_DVR-106_UNIVERSAL_Flash_1.0.zip. I have seen various links for this firmware, but I would use the one above. In addition, some links contain “UPGDVD.exe”. This program is provided by Pioneer and only flashes Pioneer firmware, not OEM firmware like that in the Memorex Dual X-1. The link provided by dhc014 contains “DVRFlash.exe”. This program is a “Universal” flasher to be used on Pioneer and all OEMd Pioneer drives and is the one you should use for the Memorex Dual X-1.

I flashed my drive as follows:

Procedure

1. Disabled Memorex Dual X-1 in Windows device manager, rebooted and verified that the software that came bundled with the DVD burner still worked. I wanted to make sure that I would still be able to use my bundled software after my drive became a Pioneer.

2. Uninstalled Intel Application Accelerator as per the “readme.txt” file and rebooted.

3. Changed The Secondary IDE “Advanced Settings” from “DMA” to “PIO”, as I have seen mention of DMA mode possibly causing problems with the flash, and rebooted. Obviosuly, if your Memorex is on the Primary IDE channel, you would changed its settings instead.

4. Right clicked on “Flasher.PIF”, changed “G” to “E” as my Memorex is on the “E” drive and double clicked the “Flasher.PIF” file.

Results

• The flash completed without problems. I was initially concerned because the Windows command prompt window didn’t return to a prompt or exit after “successful” was displayed. I closed the command prompt window as this appears to be normal. Using DVDInfoPro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/download/dvdinfo2.zip) my drive now shows as “PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D” with firmware revision 1.07 - the hacked one of course :).

• Tested the DVD read speed using Nero DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroDVDSpeed_053.zip). I initially thought that the flash didn’t make a difference as my read speeds started at 2x and ended at 6x. However, my initial tests were done with non-commercial/homemade DVDs. My results were awesome when I used pressed/commercial DVDs. It seems that the difference in read speeds may have to do with creating DVDs using MODE-1 vs. MODE-2. See http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?ink=faq_general.html#q4 for more information.

Nero DVD Speed Results

Fight SPAM! - www.SpamResearchCenter.com

good job!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:slight_smile: Yes i have flashed it but the bad news is you can’t back up the original firmware in case something goes astray as you put it.

However i flashed mine to version 106d with no problems
whatsoever.

From what i understand it is the way the orininal bios was written and they purposly locked the drive at 2x rips for reasons unbeknowed to me.

Use the link and everything will work out fine i know mine did.

http://flashman.rpc1.org/Firmware/P…L_Flash_1.0.zip.

I don’t know how these guys figure out the code but they are bloody genius’s

I cannow rip with this drive after upgrading as high as 12 x rips a lot better than the 2x which literly sucked.

I know i was aprehensive about this but it worked on dvd-r and dvd+r media

I have been using the memorex brand that i buy at walmart and it seems to work great.

As far as the wrtting software i would recommend nero 5.5.1054

Version 6 has a bug that i have emailed and not got a satisfactory responce from them.

What it does it clips volume labels if they exceed the 8-11 character limit.

They told me to change the character set which i did but the end result is the same sill clips the dam volume lables where 5.5.1054 does not.

Also when you bebuild the compilation make sure you use Dvd Video format and not Udf/iso format.

It seemed to work at first the when the dvd was played back im my player it scipited all over the place in a home player, however powerdvd did not have any problems with it.

Mine is a Rca(vft250) i beleive.

Just going by experience i wasted around a dozen dvd-r’s before i figured out what was going on and it still does not make sence as to why this happenes.

Happy flashing

Greg Zukowsky :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

these are on sale at comp usa for $80 but the specs listed are the same as those fthose obtained with a 106 firmware mod.

Type of Drive: DVD+/-RW Drive
Internal/External: Internal
Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
CD-ROM Read Speed: 32 X
CD-RW Write Speed: 16 X
CD-RW Rewrite Speed: 10 X
DVD Read Speed: 12 X
DVD Write Speed: 4 X
DVD Rewrite Speed: 2.4

The pic is the same as linked above.

I assume this is a great price, no?

If I buy it, does anyone see a reason to change firmwares?

thanks

Originally posted by brackishdude
[B]these are on sale at comp usa for $80 but the specs listed are the same as those fthose obtained with a 106 firmware mod.

Type of Drive: DVD+/-RW Drive
Internal/External: Internal
Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
CD-ROM Read Speed: 32 X
CD-RW Write Speed: 16 X
CD-RW Rewrite Speed: 10 X
DVD Read Speed: 12 X
DVD Write Speed: 4 X
DVD Rewrite Speed: 2.4

The pic is the same as linked above.

I assume this is a great price, no?

If I buy it, does anyone see a reason to change firmwares?

thanks [/B]

Read 3 replys above your last post and look at Nero speed graph.

:bigsmile:

Sold out online and in the store.