Memorex DVD+R Problems

vbimport

I’m not terribly literate when it comes to this sort of stuff so bare with me. I bought a spindle of Memorex DVD+R (16X, 4.7GB, 120min) and I’m having problems with the DVD’s messing up. I have been using DVDfab for two years, there’'s nothing wrong with my firmware, and I have used Memorex before. Unfortunately I don’t have the receipt so I can’t return them. But I was hoping someone here might help me fix this problem. The burnt copy of the movie/tv series always skips/flakes. I’ve tried adjusting the burn speed and haven’t had any luck with that. Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem? I don’t want to be stuck with a ton of costars.

The problem is that Memorex is like most blank media distributors: That company simply buys whatever make of media their bean-counters can get their hands on. As such, there are several different manufacturers behind one brand of media.

Memorex gets its media from CMC, Ritek and MBIL. It would help us if you can tell us which MID (e.g. CMC MAG M01, RICOHJPN R03, MBIPG101 R05) is on the Memorex-branded discs that you have trouble with. (For the record, I found the CMC MAG M01-coded Memorexes worked OK but scan like crud.)

[QUOTE=EepDVDs;2064792]I’m not terribly literate when it comes to this sort of stuff so bare with me. I bought a spindle of Memorex DVD+R (16X, 4.7GB, 120min) and I’m having problems with the DVD’s messing up. I have been using DVDfab for two years, there’'s nothing wrong with my firmware, and I have used Memorex before. Unfortunately I don’t have the receipt so I can’t return them. But I was hoping someone here might help me fix this problem. The burnt copy of the movie/tv series always skips/flakes. I’ve tried adjusting the burn speed and haven’t had any luck with that. Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem? I don’t want to be stuck with a ton of costars.
[/QUOTE]

What kinda of burner and firmware do you have? What speed did you burn at? Is your HDD defraged? Don’t multitask when burning this takes up CPU and Memory and HDD resources. What version of dvdfab do you have and is it set to the proper booktype? Skips/flakes is result of burning to fast or media is bad batch…I had 75 memorex DL coasters that were replaced under warranty with receipt though. How big is your pack? Do you have any other burning software installed? If all fails to fix the problem it can be one choice left … they are a bad batch you bought…sorry to tell you that but it does happen…I been alot of memorex and recently only got 75 bad DL media…

Again I say I’m totally in the dark with this kind of stuff. My dad bought my laptop so I have no idea what burner I have or how to find out the firmware (my roommate checked for updates for me he has a newer model of my laptop). I burn them at 4X. DVDfab Platinum. I have DVDFab and NTI CD and DVD-Maker 7. I bought two 50 spindles (my mom wants me to burn my tv series for her). So far I’ve only used the one spindle. I’m trying the second one as we speak.

I don’t think it’s the batch. I hopened the other spindel and I’m still having the same problem.

If you bought the two spindles at the same time, from the same place, chances are they are both the same batch, and from the same manufacturer. Which means, if one is bad, the other is likely to be too.

I don’t touch Memorex blank media. Period

Download Nero CD/DVD Speed. (free) http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
Load a blank dvd into your burner, then start this program. On the opening page, near the top, your burner make and model will be listed, and next to it will be the firmware revision that you are currently using. Click on the Disc Info tab, and tell us the MID code of the blank dvd…this is the manufacturer id code.

Verbatim 16x or Taiyo Yuden 8x +R are the favorite blank media around here. Verbatim can be found locally fairly easily. TY can be found online at sites like rima.com and supermediastore.com…make sure to get the TY 8x +R and nothing else.

Your problems do sound like poor media is to blame.

I do not have a spare $71 to use on a program at the moment.

What are you talking about? Nero CD/DVD Speed is free to download and use. I gave you a direct link.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2064841]Your problems do sound like poor media is to blame.[/QUOTE]

Yup…:iagree:
I think perhaps you misunderstood. Kerry is suggesting that you download and install a[B] free[/B] utility…nero cd-dvd speed. Simply download it (link in kerry’s post and my sig) and follow his instructions.
With this utility, you can also run some quality tests on the burned and unburned media as well as your burner.

The Taiyo Yuden he mentioned…YUDEN00T02 (MID) are the very best SL media out there…at least IMO and many others here.
Meritline is having a sale right now which includes free shipping.
100 pk for $37.99 delivered and no tax…not bad for these guys. I just bought 200 of 'em myself.
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-plus-r-silver-thermal.html

The MKM 004 (verbatim +R 16X) are pretty reliable and can be had at all the usual brick & mortar stores.

[Edit] Hey Kerry. Well, some things never change…here I am typing at my usual “turtle speed”…lol

i have some Memorex 16x DVD+R (CMC MAG M01) and ‘so far’ (after well over a year now) they are in good shape and scan well. (i burn @ 8x on my Lite-On 1673S burner)

but i bought those before knowing what was good and what was bad… now i generally stick with the proven brands (i.e. Verbatim/TY) to be safe.

I have used their DVDs before and no problems. But I got a batch a few months ago and the failure rate was awful. Tried them on three different machines no luck. they fail at the end of the process so it is very frustrating. The company will not stand behind the product at all. They blame the equipment not the disks. That being said I have no problem recording on other products with the same equipment. Draw your own conclusions… I think I will shred the disks and send them to the president of Memorex and tell him to place them in an approprate place.

Welcome to the forums frmrfairmgr. I suggest you take a look at the mid code used on those Memorex discs before destroying all of them, then compare them to the mid code on ones that worked for you before. Memorex tends to buy the cheapest discs they can, and their quality is far too variable for us to recommend, but it might be interesting to know who they are using for suppliers these days.

You can find the mid code with ImgBurn, or DVDIdentifier.

Memorex! Got some DVD-R CMC MAG AM3 - terrible - at 16x, forget it, the scans are well ugly… Kind of tolerable at 8x.

That’s the other thing, unless media is top notch, best to take the speed down a bit.

If your burner has (or is modded with) a fast burn strategy where 8x is PCAV, then it does not take twice as long as 16x and may control the kick-up of error rate at the end.