Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer

vbimport

I was at Staples yesterday to return my HP-labelled CMC MAG M01s and noticed that they had a 5-pack of Memorex-labelled DVD+R Dual Layer discs, which I did not buy, for $15.95. I was curious about the “true” brand of these Memorex DL discs, which I can use in my Pioneer DVR-650H-K home theater DVD burner.

I’ll probably get this JVC-branded TY 8x DVD-R 20-pack from SuperMediaStore.com for $22.99.

Anytime I have ever tried a Memorex disc of any type the results have been sub-par. I never buy them myself but people feel compelled to give them to me occasionally.

Memorex or as I like to call them Memowrecks :bigsmile: DL DVD’s can have several different Mid’s they
can be any of these Mid’s none of which I would call worth buying in the Memowreck brand. :disagree:

MBIPG101R10,

RICOHJPND01,

RITEK…S04

[QUOTE=getit29;2498350]Memorex or as I like to call them Memowrecks :bigsmile: DL DVD’s can have several different Mid’s they
can be any of these Mid’s none of which I would call worth buying in the Memowreck brand. :disagree:
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but what is a “Mid”? I ordered the JVC (TY) 20-pack 8x DL from SMS earlier today.

[QUOTE=borat007;2498352]Thanks, but what is a “Mid”? I ordered the JVC (TY) 20-pack 8x DL from SMS earlier today.[/QUOTE]

A “MID” is Manufacturing ID. It’s supposed to be a little identifier code stamped into the blank media that will tell you who manufactured the media for the company whose name is on the packaging.

Unfortunately, these MID codes are nowhere as accurate as they used to be as manufacturing equipment has changed company hands many times in some cases.

As for the JVC/TY discs you ordered, I cannot comment on them as I haven’t used any myself since the JVC name change. I have heard mixed reports, though.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2498465]
As for the JVC/TY discs you ordered, I cannot comment on them as I haven’t used any myself since the JVC name change. I have heard mixed reports, though.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, you have heard mostly good reports on the JVC/TY Dual Layer 8x DVD-R. Oh well, at $22.99 for 20 (+ Free S&H) it’s hard to go wrong, especially considering that Staples wants $16 bux for a 5-pack of Memowrecks!:bigsmile:

I have no doubt Memorwrecks is the worst media around today.If your looking for a good medium for dual layer discs I’ve found that Fuji film is pretty darn good for the $$.

borat007:

The best dual layer media I have found are Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in Singapore). I have used Fuji, Sony, TDK and Memorex DLs and found them all to be, without question, inferior to the Verbatims. The Memorex DLs were the most frustrating media, producing coaster after coaster.

I used a BenQ DW 1640 and a Plextor PX-640A (rebadge of the BenQ) along with ImgBurn when using these various DLs, so that the media seemed to be the limiting factor. With the Verbatim DVD+R DLs I almost always had success in burning troublesome dual layer media.

At present I am using an Optiarc AD-7241S, ImgBurn and Verbatim DVD+R DLs with superb results–and not one coaster (he said with fingers crossed).

Although the Verbatim DVD+R DLs are somewhat expensive, they frequently go on sale. Check CD Freaks “Bargain Basement” along with Newegg and Amazon.

When you factor in the cost of coasters from inferior media, the price of the Verbatims is–not cheap–but quite reasonable.

Good luck with your purchases–but with Verbatim DVD+R DLs you won’t need luck. (No, I do not work for Verbatim!)

DR_CJK

[QUOTE=borat007;2498484]Hopefully, you have heard mostly good reports on the JVC/TY Dual Layer 8x DVD-R. Oh well, at $22.99 for 20 (+ Free S&H) it’s hard to go wrong, especially considering that Staples wants $16 bux for a 5-pack of Memowrecks!:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I think the firmware support for the TY DL -R (TYG11) isn’t as good as it could be with some (PC) burners, though that may have improved somewhat since I saw the last batch of burn results of those discs.

Be interesting to see how a standalone deals with them. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2498565]I think the firmware support for the TY DL -R (TYG11) isn’t as good as it could be with some (PC) burners, though that may have improved somewhat since I saw the last batch of burn results of those discs.

Be interesting to see how a standalone deals with them. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes that will be interesting in seeing how it does with them since they are -R DL discs. :confused:

Another very good brand of +R DL discs is FalconMedia or FTI even though the MID on them
is RICOHJPND01 they burn exceptionally good not like the Memowrecks :Z or others with the
same MID. :iagree:

[QUOTE=DR_CJK;2498560]borat007:

The best dual layer media I have found are Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in Singapore). I have used Fuji, Sony, TDK and Memorex DLs and found them all to be, without question, inferior to the Verbatims.

Although the Verbatim DVD+R DLs are somewhat expensive, they frequently go on sale. Check CD Freaks “Bargain Basement” along with Newegg and Amazon.

When you factor in the cost of coasters from inferior media, the price of the Verbatims is–not cheap–but quite reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

A quick glance at Amazon shows that they have a 20-disc spindle of Verbatim DVD+R DLs for $24.99, which is only $2 more than SMS’ price for the JVC/TY 20-disc spindle. I’d have to spend at least one cent more at Amazon in order to get Free ground shipping - minimum order is $25 to qualify for that.

The Fujifilm DVD+R DL 15-disc spindle costs $29.99 at Amazon, which at least qualifies for Free ground shipping…:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2498565]I think the firmware support for the TY DL -R (TYG11) isn’t as good as it could be with some (PC) burners, though that may have improved somewhat since I saw the last batch of burn results of those discs.

Be interesting to see how a standalone deals with them. :)[/QUOTE]

[i]“Standalone”[/i] - - that’s the term that my memory could not dredge up yesterday morning!:wink:

Actually, for my Pioneer DVR-650H-K standalone burner the owners’ manual says (owner’s manual PDF link):

[u]Using DVD-R DL/DVD+R DL discs[/u]
DVD-R DL (Dual-Layer) and DVD+R DL
(Double-Layer) discs contain two recordable
layers on a single side, giving about 1.8
times the recording capacity of a
conventional single-layer disc. This unit can
record to both DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL
discs.

• If you intend to play DVD-R DL (Video
mode) or DVD+R DL discs recorded on
this unit on other DVD recorders/players,
you must finalize them. (Note that some
DVD recorders/players may not play
even finalized DL discs.)

Correct operation has been confirmed for
DL discs:

• DVD-R DL ver. 3.0/2x to 4x
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (Verbatim)
• DVD-R DL ver. 3.0/2x to 8x
That’s
JVC
(this is a direct quote from page 10 of the manual)
• DVD+R DL 2.4x
RICOH
• DVD+R DL 2.4x to 8x
RICOH

[QUOTE=getit29;2498585]
Another very good brand of +R DL discs is FalconMedia or FTI even though the MID on them
is RICOHJPND01 they burn exceptionally good not like the Memowrecks :Z or others with the
same MID. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the FalconMedia tip. SuperMediaStore has a 20-disc spindle for $16.99 - link.

[QUOTE=borat007;2498663]Thanks for the FalconMedia tip. SuperMediaStore has a 20-disc spindle for $16.99 - link.[/QUOTE]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :disagree:

Do NOT buy that 20-pack! Those are the corporate-grade discs, which burn like crap! If you want Falcon DL media, you must buy the ones labeled as PRO (Professional Grade). It must say FalconMedia PRO! If it just says FalconMedia, do NOT buy it!

[QUOTE=negritude;2498700]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :disagree:

Do NOT buy that 20-pack! Those are the corporate-grade discs, which burn like crap! If you want Falcon DL media, you must buy the ones labeled as PRO (Professional Grade). It must say FalconMedia PRO! If it just says FalconMedia, do NOT buy it![/QUOTE]

Yep negritude is 100% correct do not get the FalconMedia DL unless it say [B]PRO[/B] on it
like in the picture below this is what I use and love them. :iagree: :clap:

[QUOTE=negritude;2498700]Do NOT buy that 20-pack! Those are the corporate-grade discs, which burn like crap! If you want Falcon DL media, you must buy the ones labeled as PRO (Professional Grade). It must say FalconMedia PRO! If it just says FalconMedia, do NOT buy it![/QUOTE]

I’m glad there’s people like you in the forum to watch out for people about to make a mistake like that. I myself am an old schooler getting back into enthusiast burning, but the last time I spent any significant amount of time here it things were a lot simpler.

All one had to do in order to get great media was go to their local store & buy anything that said “Made In Japan” on the side of it. Seems a lot more complicated now. :frowning:

[QUOTE=negritude;2498700]
Do NOT buy that 20-pack! Those are the corporate-grade discs, which burn like crap! If you want Falcon DL media, you must buy the ones labeled as PRO (Professional Grade). It must say FalconMedia PRO! If it just says FalconMedia, do NOT buy it![/QUOTE]

Cool, another great tip. SMS has FTI FalconMedia Pro white 8x DVD+R Dual Layer Media in a 50-pack spindle for $47.99 - link

Thanks for keeping a good watch on us!:flower:

borat007:

First, the Fujifilm DLs at $2.00 apiece (15 at $29.99) are clearly over-priced, free shipping or no.

As I remarked earlier, my experience with the Fuji’s has not been as successful as it has been with Verbatim DVD+R DLs. Of course, others may have had an experience just the opposite.

Amazon does have a decent price on a 30-pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL for $40.10. This comes out to $1.34 apiece, includes free shipping and the media are 8x (in place of 2.4x). I would only add that I have never had a coaster with Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x media.

Hope this information helps you decide.

DR_CJK

[QUOTE=DR_CJK;2498900]

Amazon does have a decent price on a 30-pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL for $40.10. This comes out to $1.34 apiece, includes free shipping and the media are 8x (in place of 2.4x). I would only add that I have never had a coaster with Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x media.

Hope this information helps you decide.

DR_CJK[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. For now, I have decided to give the JVC/TY DLs a try. I’m in the process of moving so that’s all that I can do at this point in time.

[QUOTE=borat007;2498734]Cool, another great tip. SMS has FTI FalconMedia Pro white 8x DVD+R Dual Layer Media in a 50-pack spindle for $47.99 - link

Thanks for keeping a good watch on us!:flower:[/QUOTE]

Ouch! When will Dual Layer discs come down in price? Blue ray burners and media are getting cheaper so why not dual layer?
If I were to speculate… two factors make these prices high… 1- royalties of manufacturing and 2- MPAA… dvds are almost exclusively recorded on dual layer media these days so to make a 1:1 copy requires you to buy a MORE EXPENSIVE DISC which i’m sure they somehow have their greedy little hands into the blank media pie.

Eventually blue ray will make dual layer discs and single layer discs kind of obsolete. Also, I think we’ve reached a threshold of obsolescence for cd-r as a backup medium and approaching single layer dvd’s end of days too due to flash media’s reliability versus the degrading of the dye substrate on plastic discs. Which would you TRUST to have data integrity if locked in a vault for 5-10 years?