Memorex DL Discs not recognized: LH-20A1H

vbimport

Hey all, got a stack of blank Memorex +R-DL (VR9P02-01,234) never been used, touched etc… Refuses to read; continuous initialization noise that’s driving me nuts lol…
__Can anything be done?

yeah, return them for verbatim, memorex DL discs are by far the WORST DL media!

[QUOTE=RCM;2497637]yeah, return them for verbatim, memorex DL discs are by far the WORST DL media![/QUOTE]

Uuugh! Like daggers stabbing me! Haha, I got them from an old job and never had much use for them up until now. I was thinking about investing in a trial run of FTI FalconMedia Shiny Silver 8X DVD+R Dual Layer Media 20 Pack in Cake Box at $16.99; Meritline

Does this sound good?

There are a fair number of people here who like the Falcon DL media. I’ve never felt the need to stray from Verbatim for DL personally.

I believe most of us would say if you want to try something other than Verbatim for DL, Falcon is the only other worthwhile choice.

Thanks very much for the advice guys; this is very sad to hear about the DVD/DL “industry.” Wanton quality standards and… I digress. Haha

[QUOTE=V12|V12;2497651]Thanks very much for the advice guys; this is very sad to hear about the DVD/DL “industry.” Wanton quality standards and… I digress. Haha[/QUOTE]

And the same manufacturers of DVD+R DL media who supplies to Memorex (RiTEK and Moser Baer) have also been quite notorious for inconsistent quality control even for their single-layer DVD media. (Memorex gets most of its single-layer DVD media from CMC, which also has had inconsistent quality control - especially with discs made with its own media codes.) The DL discs from all three have also suffered from compatibility issues with a lot of burners - even some of the newest burners. Sad indeed.

[QUOTE=V12|V12;2497636]Hey all, got a stack of blank Memorex +R-DL (VR9P02-01,234) never been used, touched etc… Refuses to read; continuous initialization noise that’s driving me nuts lol…
__Can anything be done?[/QUOTE]

To return to the original topic at hand:

Those are RiTEK-made DVD+R DL discs that you are dealing with - which has had compatibility issues with a lot of burners (yes, even some of the NEWEST burners). And Lite-On burners generally do a mediocre job at writing, especially to DL media. Put a mediocre DL writer together with a known buggy media code, and you’d have the issues with RiTEK DL media made painfully clear. (And if the only Lite-On burner in my possession does a mediocre job of writing to even Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x media, you know that I would not be trusting it for my DL projects.) Lite-On burners are great DVD scanners (relative to other consumer brands of PC burners) and good readers, but I’m sorry to say that they’ve been mediocre DL writers. Unfortunately, the DVD burners which do the best job of writing to DL media are either finicky readers or incapable of booktyping single-layer DVD+R media. No single drive does everything well.

And there is no DVD+R DL “industry” per se; in fact, there are only a few companies actually manufacturing this stuff (even fewer than actual single-layer DVD+/-R manufacturers).

I just don’t fully comprehend how these places even stay in business if their quality is so bad, lol…confused: I try and always buy the best I can, but these 10 DL’s are going in the trash; most of them wouldn’t even initialize. What a joke… :disagree:

Wonder why dual-layer never took off (price aside?)… you’d think people would get tired of using DVDshrink to encode 1/2 quality DVDs or are sick of spanning ghost images to multiple discs when 8.5 holds a decent sized OS image…

It’s been a while since I was up to speed with the DVD writer community; when did LiteOn (once praised) become a mediocre drive again? IIRC it used to burn some really good PF tests etc?

I believe price [B]was[/B] the determining factor for the lack of success for DL dvds. Plus many normal consumers didn’t know about the problems inherent with most DL disks that were available to them…at least not until they found they wouldn’t burn, or lost data. Then you have the problems with the layer break on burning dvd-video, which many burning programs didn’t handle very well. Imgburn for the win here!

Lite-on still has its proponents. I was never a fan, but even some very knowledgeable members here, like CodeKing, are Lite-on backers. (and if you think I’m going to argue with him on the subject you’re out of your mind. I’d rather join the Polish cavalry and charge the German panzer columns)

The Lite-on’s that use the NEC chipset should be fine for burning DL media. But aren’t what we traditionally think of as Lite-on drives.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2497763]I believe price [B]was[/B] the determining factor for the lack of success for DL dvds. Plus many normal consumers didn’t know about the problems inherent with most DL disks that were available to them…at least not until they found they wouldn’t burn, or lost data. Then you have the problems with the layer break on burning dvd-video, which many burning programs didn’t handle very well. Imgburn for the win here!

Lite-on still has its proponents. I was never a fan, but even some very knowledgeable members here, like CodeKing, are Lite-on backers. (and if you think I’m going to argue with him on the subject you’re out of your mind. I’d rather join the Polish cavalry and charge the German panzer columns)

The Lite-on’s that use the NEC chipset should be fine for burning DL media. But aren’t what we traditionally think of as Lite-on drives.[/QUOTE]

True. It’s just that the ones with the MediaTek chipset that are not particularly great DL writers. (They are perfectly fine for SL media, however.)

Hrmm… I’m not sure which chip-set mine has; I’ll have to do some digging… Well sheesh, until I find out, should I even purchase that spool of Falcon DLs? I don’t want to waste time, nor money if the drive isn’t going to burn properly b/c of innate chip inferiority?(!) :a :confused:

:doh:

[QUOTE=V12|V12;2497854]Hrmm… I’m not sure which chip-set mine has; I’ll have to do some digging… Well sheesh, until I find out, should I even purchase that spool of Falcon DLs? I don’t want to waste time, nor money if the drive isn’t going to burn properly b/c of innate chip inferiority?(!) :a :confused:

:doh:[/QUOTE]
Had a good friend just retire his 20A1 last week because he’s been doing more DL burning recently and getting frustrated with just barely passable burns(Verb and Falcon). I believe I’ve seen mention of cross-flashing to 20A4, mine was considerably better with DL’s. Not sure though if the difference was caused more by hardware or firmware.
Last few gens of Liteys have been very weak DL burners. Current iHAS324 A is one of my best DL burners. Nice turn-around for Lite-on.
I worry about all the recommendations I keep seeing for the iHASX24 Y or Optiarc AD-724X for burning DL’s. My 7240 and 7241 are the most inconsistent DL burners I own. Occasionally even failing to finalize a DL(with ImgBurn). Burns range from crap to excellent with Opti’s, from decent to excellent with iHAS 324 A. Same batches of discs.
Stick with a new Lite-on :bigsmile:. Judging by my friend’s experience, you prolly won’t have coasters if you try those Falcons in your 20A1. But a new burner might be the way to go if you’re doin more DL burning.

Hmm, burning Verbatim MKM001 in my 7240s, I’ve had nothing but good results. I haven’t done that many though, and I always burn DL at 4x.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2497868]Had a good friend just retire his 20A1 last week because he’s been doing more DL burning recently and getting frustrated with just barely passable burns(Verb and Falcon). I believe I’ve seen mention of cross-flashing to 20A4, mine was considerably better with DL’s. Not sure though if the difference was caused more by hardware or firmware.
Last few gens of Liteys have been very weak DL burners. Current iHAS324 A is one of my best DL burners. Nice turn-around for Lite-on.
I worry about all the recommendations I keep seeing for the iHASX24 Y or Optiarc AD-724X for burning DL’s. My 7240 and 7241 are the most inconsistent DL burners I own. Occasionally even failing to finalize a DL(with ImgBurn). Burns range from crap to excellent with Opti’s, from decent to excellent with iHAS 324 A. Same batches of discs.
Stick with a new Lite-on :bigsmile:. Judging by my friend’s experience, you prolly won’t have coasters if you try those Falcons in your 20A1. But a new burner might be the way to go if you’re doin more DL burning.[/QUOTE]

Great response(s)! This thread is going to be very informative for LiteOn folks just getting (back) into DL. I’ll grab them and run a test to see just how rateable my drive turns out… Wait so I ought to use imgburn over Nero for DL (mainly movies & some basic data backup; GHOST imgs)

BTW- What’s that about cross flashing? I used to know all this stuff, but it’s literally been 6mos since I’ve burned anything that required knowing more than a few clicks and pushing GO! So I’m a bit rusty; I have all of Code-K’s progs and the newest firmware for my 20A1H. I just don’t remember all the intricacies of how to use them/what they are for lol :o

PS- Is anyone having problems with the smilies and html buttons? I cannot get them to work at all. I have to actually select and copy the smilies to get the function to work copy-paste :confused:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2497869]Hmm, burning Verbatim MKM001 in my 7240s, I’ve had nothing but good results. I haven’t done that many though, and I always burn DL at 4x.[/QUOTE]
Burning through LOTS of DL’s in recent times. And testing burners in the same machine, with the same spindles of reasonably consistent discs. Here are two recent burns from an above-average batch of Singapore MKM003’s for illustration. Thought it might just be my 7240. But the new 7241 is no different :confused:. iHAS burns with the same MKM’s don’t show this kind of variation with this batch. Falcons have been more consistent in the iHAS as well.
Perhaps its the sheer numbers of discs I’m going through that makes this more noticeable to me?

[QUOTE=V12|V12;2497873]Great response(s)! This thread is going to be very informative for LiteOn folks just getting (back) into DL. I’ll grab them and run a test to see just how rateable my drive turns out… Wait so I ought to use imgburn over Nero for DL (mainly movies & some basic data backup; GHOST imgs)

BTW- What’s that about cross flashing? I used to know all this stuff, but it’s literally been 6mos since I’ve burned anything that required knowing more than a few clicks and pushing GO! So I’m a bit rusty; I have all of Code-K’s progs and the newest firmware for my 20A1H. I just don’t remember all the intricacies of how to use them/what they are for lol :o

PS- Is anyone having problems with the smilies and html buttons? I cannot get them to work at all. I have to actually select and copy the smilies to get the function to work copy-paste :confused:[/QUOTE]
I’ve had good luck w/ DL with both progs. Try both.

I recommend starting with 4X burns. That goes smooth, start crankin it up till you break one :). Just threw in the crossflash option in case you run into trouble w/ current firmware. It may be fine. Haven’t done a 20A1>20A4 cross myself, and don’t want to steer you wrong on that. If you think its called for, check around the Lite-on forum for info or ask for help :). I did find with the 20A4 that online hypertuning off and force hypertuning off worked better for DL’s. YMMV.

No troubles with :):cool::bigsmile::confused: here. Are you using the MyCE or CdFreaks
page style?

U just switched back to CDF-v2.0 phew I’m just so accustomed to CDF…

Wow nice scans; this sure ain’t the CDF I remember; bout 2wks before you’d get a decent response… something must be in the water? Haha! :confused:

So how does NERO deal with the layer break Vs Imgburn? I don’t remember any prompting in Nero about it, but it’s been a very long time etc.

Thanks again everyone for the advice/comments/suggestions! :clap: