Memorex combo drive (48MAX 244816AJ) won't read some DVDs

vbimport

I’m a newbie on this forum, so apologies if this is an obvious question.

So far, this Memorex combo drive (48MAX 244816AJ) has failed to recognize only two DVDs I’ve put in it-- a Morrowind Plugins DVD+R that a friend sent me (and that he checked on both of his machines and confirmed as good), and some commercial film demo DVD of Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow that I got free at Best Buy back in September. In both cases the drive just sat there and made and attempt to read it for 20 or so seconds, then gave up.

Video DVDs work fine, as has Unreal Tournament 2K4 (the only game I’ve bought so far on DVD).

In case it helps, here are some details:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe, pre-2.0 PCB
1 Gig Corsair PC 2700 RAM

DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive: 48MAX 244816AJ, firmware version KWH8. This is probably a rebranded drive, but I have no idea how to find out who the real manufacturer is or if I can reflash the firmware to that.

Unfortunately Memorex’s site is useless and has no updated firmware or drivers, either.

This friend said that I should check whether this drive is compatible with DVD+Rs first. I’ve done a Google search but can’t seem to find an answer.

In case it’s not fixable, any recommendations on a new DVD drive – especially a DVD burner?

First, check http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for a newer version - one of the best firmware sites around the net.

Secondly, it’s “normal” for some older readers not to read some dvd± media - it happens with my old dvd reader aswell. What’s not normal is the unability to read pressed (dvdrom) dvd’s.

If the firmware doesn’t fix it, it’s either a laser problem (like, de-calibration) - might and might not be fixable, media quality (it only happened to 2 dvd’s, so you can’t conclude very much) or the laser hasn’t got much quality (can also be bad chipset…).

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. I looked where you indicated, and there was no firmware for this model-- no one seems to have newer firmware. My only real hope is to figure out who the real manufacturer of this drive is and see if I can flash it to that. Any clues on how I’d go about doing that? Is there a web resource of that kind available (i.e. that would tell you who the real manufacturer was depending on the brand and serial no.?).

I’ve already written to Memorex tech support, but I’m not holding my breath.

liteon 48161h

cnlson, you’re certain of this?

I’m sure too :wink:

Assuming that the winky smily face doesn’t mean I shouldn’t take that assertion seriously, what’s the recommended firmware of the various ones listed on the page linked to above?