Memorex CD-RW 700mb= BAD BAD BAD

vbimport

http://www.memorex.com/products/product_display.php?cid=27&pid=95&oid=100

Avoid these at ALL cost!

5 discs of my 10 pack were screwed! I was getting write errors in Nero.

I could write to the disc (a 700mb test file) with CloneCD but they were not readable.

I then Surface Scan tested them with Nero CD Speed and it showed 1 of them had 37% errors on the surface!
The other 4 were somewhat less screwed up, under 10% errors.

Even a full 2X erase made no difference. The dye is screwed.

Whose was the manufacturing equipment according to the ATIP?
I found a batch of “Infodisc” Memorex CDRW 74 soon unusable.

try traxdata cd-rw no problems with them

www.xsct.co.uk

I’m in Canada. I’ve never seen Traxdata here. I’ve heard others speak highly of them though.

I’ll post the ATIP info later today (I’m at work now).

They’re Infodisc Technology.

Memorex 80 Minutes (700mb) CD-RW
ATIP: 97m 25s 30f
Disc Manufacturer: InfoDisc Technology Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

crap
my mini cd-rw’s are infodisc

only used two of the ten… no probs so far

Hi,

Although Traxdata’s are still for sale, someone a few weeks back said they had gone out of business - who knows?

I have had endless trouble burning some new DiscRites which Diskrite emailed me to say they stand by their product and want me to post some signed ones to them for testing - if they have a problem they will replace all 300 of the ones I bought - as I have had no problem with them in the past and they were getting hard to track down I bought that many.

A plextor 401240 (is this right?) burnt with no errors onto the DR’s in scandisk / quality check terms at work but my Plex 241040a now only burns duff ones - thought my writer was dying (about 100 discs & 6 months old). Fed up, bought 300 ‘proper’ cd’s namely Mitsui 80 min unbranded ones from SVP and guess what - all absolutely perfect so far - fingers crossed. Pass the CDSpeed scandisk with green all the way and no errors in the quality test. For an extra £0.20 / disc, and for wanting to have the data last many tens of years, they are worth it - forget these 15p cheapo crap.

Interestingly, although Plextors are picky with media, the officially supported media for the new 40x Plextor is down to even less manufacturers - Kodak is still there despite saying they are no longer making discs - and Mitsui has gone completly - what is Plextor upto - are they mad!!!

Ice’y

Yes Traxdata as was are no more, they owed ritec royalties and could not pay, so ritec took the company, traxdata branded boxs via ritec.

There are two brands of discrite the normal 1’s in a 50 tub which ran out and the discrite in a 100 spindle the dye on the 100 spindle is different to the 50 spindle, this may be the problem ?

discrite 50’s are now back in the country and as soon as they clear customs will be back on sell.

www.xsct.co.uk

I posted this ATIP in the Roxio forum as another poster was having probs with Memorex. I bough a big batch the other week of silver-top unbranded Memorex with this ATIP:-

ATIP: 97m 15s 36f
Disc Manufacturer: NAN-YA Plastics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Avoid them at all costs, they really are crap. I’ve had no problems myself burning to them with a LiteOn 40125S, but I’ve sold on quite a few spools and I’ve had nothing but complaints. Coaster after coaster I’m told. :eek:

@ Trader did you get my e-mail m8?

I’m a fan of Memorex cd-r’s and I’ve never had a bad cd-r from them yet. CD-RW is different though.

I bought a 100 spindle of Gold top Memorex 74 minute cd-r (rated 8x) with this ATIP:

Memorex: Gold 74 Minute
ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
nominal Capacity: 658.89MB (75m 00s 00f / LBA: 337350)

excellent discs & great overburning even if they are CMC made.