Memorex 8x Dvd+r DL media

Hey i keep hearing bad reviews about the memorex 2.4x DL b/c its ritek d01 but on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817501013
these 8x memorex are getting good reviews…and I am just curious is it still the same version as the 2.4x or is it better?? Just wanted to know before i made a purchase…i searched through out the forums but couldn’t find anything so sorry if i miss’d a post on this already…Thanks for the help

two reviews both at 2x; to early to tell, but for the price I may take a chance.

Haha! Look at the n00bish responses:

[I]Pros: So far have been burning perfectly at better than 7X speed. Couldn't be better at the price.
Cons: none

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you? 

Works Just Perfect

Reviewed By: Phillymantis on 5/15/2007
Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 
Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

Pros: Move over Verbatim Discs these memorex discs are working great...i bought the ten pack and have had no write errors, writing at 2x speed. plus these are the cheapest cd's but high in value its great.
Cons: none so far
Other Thoughts: 10 pack of memorex is the cheapest out right now...beautiful [/I]

What an idiot, telling verbatim to move over. Clearly has zero clue about burning. No one gets write errors on discs these days, if they do the disc is absolute rubbish. Completing a burn means absolutely nothing, how well it plays and does in a quality scan is what you need to know.

I wouldn’t bother with them, you gotta pay 5 bucks shipping so it works out to like 2 bucks a disc. Even if Verbatim cost 3 or 4 bucks a disc, you will most likely get 100% success with verbatim and those memorex might only get you 50% success. Many people get fooled into buying crap DL media. I’d only buy it to test it and post results here, I would never trust it for anything important.

I don’t use very many DL discs only 7 Verbatim, 3 Memorex (2.4x), 2 Maxell, 1 Ridata in my inventory right now.

I guess if I had a HDTV I might burn more DL but at my age I have lowres eyes and Hires TV is not worth the money.

I got almost every brand DL disc also more than 500 DL disc burn
right now Only I can trust DL media is Verbatim DL ( made in Singapore )
it is still on sale 20pack Verb DL Micro Center $27.99 this is save your money and Time
if you need to more experience get ( Memorex DL 8X ) this meida and let us know what it is

Move over Verbatim Discs these memorex discs are working great…i bought the ten pack and have had no write errors, writing at 2x speed. plus these are the cheapest cd’s but high in value its great.

Hahahaha that is classic. :clap:

What you have to remember is - yeah, Verbatim are often more expensive. But…you won’t have to buy again with Verbatim whereas you may have to buy again when your lesser discs have playback problems in standalones etc etc etc. :slight_smile:

Basically - you get what you pay for :iagree:

Damn straight for me too :iagree:

wow thanks for all your posts! guess ill just stick with verbatim till i see some posts on here about it :slight_smile: was just a lil curious to see if they have had any improvement over the 2.4x ones.

A belated Welcome to the forum too, ryanmac3 :flower:

[OT][B]@Arachne[/B]: What’s this red thing some mods wear on their ears? :confused: :confused: [/OT]

Yeah, I third the “stick with Verbatim DL” recommendations. :iagree:

Mind your semantics, [B]pirate[/B], this sentence doesn’t necessarily mean, at first sight, what you actually meant when writing it… :wink: :flower:

It’s a protein. It’s related to being on the CDF Folding@Home Team :smiley:

[OT]

Thanks for the reply [B]Arachne[/B] :), though I’m still somewhat confused… (I know what a protein is, it’s the folding@home part and its relation with a protein that I don’t quite get :bigsmile: - I’ll search)
OK found it, got it http://folding.stanford.edu/ :wink:
[/OT]

I bet these are RITEK S04 MID. If they are some burners only support burning them at 4x .

I would pass on these.

Burnt with AW-G170A ver.1.73 at 8X. Disks were Memorex branded.

Had similar results with SH-S202G too at 4X.

Junk.

When I said I’d avoid these I didn’t think they would be this bad, I have done some review burns with this MID and they were not that bad.

I will burn a Ritek branded this afternoon and post results.

I wonder if all non-Verbatims DL disks in US are fakes. Anyway I was unable to find anything suitable for a relatively reliable burning. And I tried three different burners AW-G170A, DH-20A3P and SH-S202G. No luck.

Lol missed your post :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just reading back my own comments and thought, ooh that doesn’t exactly sound 100% right coming from me. :bigsmile:

[OT]

That was my feeling when reading it at the time… :wink:

[/OT]

Absolutely horrid media, in my experience. Got them to try for kicks, since I had good luck (luckily) with the 2.4x ones. So far, a 100% coaster rate.

Hi abd4evr, welcome to CDFreaks :slight_smile:

What writer are you using, and have you updated it’s firmware at all? This can cause the problems you’re experiencing.

Memorex 8x From DVDinfo:

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK S04
Media Product Revision Number 42h
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 4253024256
Free Capacity 7.96GB(8.55GB)
Book Type DVD+R DL
Media Type DVD+R DL
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1

I’ve burnt several of these and although the scans arent great they havnt been that bad either. Burning has been at 8x on a Benq 1655.
I dont think I would archive with them but to back up a movie…you bet.