Memorex 52x converted to LTR-52246S taking longer than normal time to burn?

vbimport

[COLOR=blue]

Hey…i got this Memorex drive and then i changed it to a lite-on drive LTR - 52246S with firmware upgrade using Mktflash thingi…

The firmware i currently have is v6S0F which i checked is the latest firmware…

In any case i have seen this problem for a long time now…and i am just fed up with it…

The drive starts up burning alright at first till about 50% (i can hear the drive speed going up) of the disk is written…but right aobut then the drive starts loosing read buffer in nero. (the same thing happens in CloneCD and Alcohol 120%) and after that the buffer is constantly going up and down.

I have just tested a burn on a Fuji TY rated at 52x media, 700mb file to burn at 4:53…man that is slow…considering it should be closer to 2:45 or 3:00…

ooh btw when the buffer is down the drive’s light turns yellow…and when its starts buring again its red.

I have checked this drive using many CD’s such as Fuji TY that i know are rated at 52x and other CD’s…but the same problem occurs…with the buffer…

I have checked my Jumper is set to Master its the only drive on the IDE. the other drives are a DVD (master) and CD-rom (slave)drive on a seperate IDE.

and the drive it set to DMA.

is it that my buffer on the drive is gone bad…if so do u recommend me replacing the drive??

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance…

did the drive ever work properly before? u might also wanna post system specs in case that’s what’s holding back performance, including the dma mode all ur drives are running at.

System Spec…

1.0Gh Athlon T-bird on Asua A7V133 running 640MB ram…Windows XP…running great…

what else would u like to know??

Thanks

probably what i asked in my original post.

did the drive ever work properly before?

including the dma mode all ur drives are running at.

I dont know actually if the drive ever work properly…cause i changed the Memorex firmware to lite-on on…
could that make a difference…

the other drives are also DMA on Ultra 2 DMA…

also i use a virtuall CD program…called Dameon tools…would that do anything…it should’nt

Thanks

replash back to the memorex firmware and see if it works…

drive will be voided warranty if lite-on firmware is present

Since no one else has mentioned…

I flashed a Memorex 52x to LiteOn firmware a few days ago and it is running fine. I don’t see the same problem you are having.

Like Viperinc suggested, try to reflash it back to the Memorex firmware and see if the same thing still happens. Also, see if you can install the drive in another PC and reproduce the error. That way, you will know if it is a problem with the CDRW drive or something on your PC.

Use Nero InfoTool to make sure that DMA is enabled. I have a Memorex 48MAXX converted to a Lite-ON without problems.

Originally posted by ViperInc
[B]replash back to the memorex firmware and see if it works…

drive will be voided warranty if lite-on firmware is present [/B]

Doubt anyone actually will bother to check… unless its RMA directly to manufacturer… if you just return to retail store… they really wouldn’t give 2 $hits

Originally posted by sak
[B]I dont know actually if the drive ever work properly…cause i changed the Memorex firmware to lite-on on…
could that make a difference…

the other drives are also DMA on Ultra 2 DMA…

also i use a virtuall CD program…called Dameon tools…would that do anything…it should’nt

Thanks [/B]

What is CPU usage during a burn? And what HD’s do you have?