Memorex 16X DVD burner

I see that Memorex is shipping a 16X burner.

Who builds this drive for Memorex?

Is this drive worth the money?

Memorex 16X DVD burner

It’s a Lite-On 1633S. The Lite-On unit hasn’t been released yet. You can look at the 1213S it look the same and hopefully will become a 1633S with a firmware upgrade (hack).

Would there be any advantage to wait for the Plextor PX-716A drive? In other words, what would be the disadvantage to having a drive like the Memorex 16X burner rather than a Plextor PX-716A?

And, it seems that most of those who post here prefer the NEC ND-3500A 16X burner. Why is that? Is it price? Is it quality? Is it flexibility (such as using hacked firmware)?

I am antsy to get a 16X burner, but I don’t want to rush into buying a locally available Memorex drive if I would be better served by a Plextor PX-716A or an NEC ND-3500A.

Thanks,

Bob Shem

As a Plextor 712A owner I can honestly say F[CUK] PLEXTOR. Buy the Pioneer 108 or the NEC 3500.

Thanks ClayBuster for the candid review of Plextor.

Does anyone have experience with the Memorex 16X drive? Any comments?

Like I told you before it’s a LiteOn drive. Do a search on 1213S and read the details which are not very good. LiteOn has a long way to go on this Firmware. For now I would not recommend a purchase of a Memorex 16X.

Like I told you before it’s a LiteOn drive. Do a search on 1213S and read the details which are not very good.

Sorry, I am not at all familiar with the LiteOn drives so I don’t know if they are generally good drives or generally bad drives. I would imagine that every company has a list of winners and a list of dogs in their product line. I wouldn’t know which list the 1633S would fall under, so hence my continued questions. Thanks for the recommendation against the Memorex. I think that I will hold out for the NEC 3500.

Will the NEC 3500 be available in the US as a retail product? I noticed when I visited the NEC web site that they list their drives as OEM products. Does this mean that they will only be available in the US as a pre-installed product in a brand name computer, or will we be able to mail order them?

Thanks,

Bob Shem