Mellisa Virus Programmer Sentenced - Discussion

vbimport

I just wanted to know some peoples feelings towards this.

Here are my thoughts....feel free to argue.

1) 20 months is a long time....in a federal prison...i dont know about US prisons....but i know even the smaller prisons in australia are bad: rape, theft of food, bashing, and murder are common placed, and are hid from the media so often.

2) All he did is write some computer code.....back to the old argument that a murderer can get a couple of months or even just a good behavior bond. this guy will not be protected when he is in prison.

3) Yeah he created 80 million worth of damages....but unline someone posted in a reply on the mainpage....it WASNT damage to hardware......it was the cost of data transfer, and the cost of developing a solution to it, and a lot of that money went to people like you and me....people who are hired to solve problems, or employed to maintain a network. His software didnt cause 70% of IBM drives to fail...ibm did that themselves (sorry couldnt resist) :slight_smile:

4) The guy has a skill....why punnish him....sure he did something wrong, but why not offer him a job working WITH the feds or whoever the US have to protect against electronic terrorism.

Thats about all, i just feel that he was punnished too severly.....he deserved to be punnished, but prison is not the answer for him....rapists, murders and warez dealers: yes......nerds: no. Why not just fine him $50,000 or $100,000 or $300,000 and threaten him with prison next time.....

cheers

K, here is my 2 cents. I am not saying that making viruses like this is the right thing to do, but in a way crackers/programmers (The reason i said crackers is because hackers do not do damage, or so i have heard) like this are actually helping the enconomy. Sure they are cost thousands of companies a couple dollars, but these crackers have also allowed for companies like Norton, Mccaffe, zone alarm, and a couple others like it to exist. These companies exist because they make software to protect from Viruses and firewalls. Also what these people do is make the Government and Bussiness computers a lot more secure. If there where no hackers, crackers, or underground programmers the internet would not be as secure as it is right now. As you can see, without these programmers, Terrorist could easisly access the government computers, and they could easily take down Bank networks and create chaos, I am not trying to sounds like I am joking around about this, If you think about it, no one ever thought that someone would crash planes into a building, and until September 11, 2001 the airports in the world where not really as secure as they are becomming now. So in conclusion, I believe that 20 months is to much, I think that making his sentence a bit shorts would really be good. Also the whole thing about people doing worse crimes and getting less time is totally messed up and should not be allowed.

Programmer’s view : Melissa sucked

Analist’s view : Melissa sucked

Hype view : Melissa succeeded

20 months is good. The person knew what he was doing.

<snip>

1. The guy has a skill…why punnish him…sure he did something wrong, but why not offer him a job working WITH the feds or whoever the US have to protect against electronic terrorism.

</snip>

Why not throw him in jail, then offer him early release in exchange that he MUST co-op with the government in fighting computer crime.

20 months is great for doing such an evil thing. Why not more ?

But anyways I hope the government locks up more just like him. But this is such a small dent in the problem. Computer crime and viruses will always exist.

A crime where the only damage inflicted is costs incurred to recover the damage could be punished with a fine.

However, the costs incurred in this incident are most likely to exceed the wealth of the criminal, so the criminal should be punished in another way.

This was a blatant crime against computer society and should be punished to the severest extent of the law. For one because of punishing the criminal and second because of scaring of possible future criminals.

To say that this criminal only wrote a piece of computer code is underestimating the power of computer code. Microsoft Windows is only computer code too, the same as the software used to manage al bank ransactions or even the pentagon with all its nuclear power.

The criminal who wrote the virus did so intentionally, not by accident. He had the intention right from the beginning to inflict as much damage as possible. This cannot be tolerated and therefore should be punished to the severest extent of the law.

To say that there were no real damages you don’t quite grasp the costs involved in generating datatraffic. You may think that all data traffic is free of charge, but this is definately not the case. Why would you think that hosting providers only allow a certain data traffic and charge you big time for every MB it exceeds the agreed amount, why do you think that flat fee providers (such as cable and ADSL providers) constantly scream about heavy users who cause 30GB data traffic per month and limit the maximum data traffic caused by an individual user? Do you really think they do that because it is all free? Do you really think they do that just to tease you, to make a huge profit at your expense?

If you really think so, I feel sorry for you, I really do, because life isn’t as simple as you make it out to be.

I really detest people who produce these virusses. The virus that currently goes around has been sent to my CD Freaks account many times. Every email is about 130KB big, so you can imagine how much data traffic was caused already for me as a signle user, multiply that by the millions of users who have an internet connection and probably face the same problem. I am glad I am on cable, would really hate to pay for the download time of these virusses.

I really thank my own common sense for buying a good Anti Virus program that protects me from these things and I really hope that all visitors of this site have the same common sense, so that I don’t get any further emails containing the virus.

Sorry if I am too harsh on this one, but it doesn’t give you a good feeling when you help people and because of their ignorance you are thanked by all these virusses in your mailbox. In a way I can’t really blame these people for it, but somehow it doesn’t give me a positive feeling…

may think that all data traffic is free of charge,

If you really think so, I feel sorry for you, I really do, because life isn’t as simple as you make it out to be

Dont try to insult me.
I believe i covered this in my original post in reference to the $80 million he cost.

it was the cost of data transfer, and the cost of developing a solution to it

1. 20 months is a long time…in a federal prison…i dont know about US prisons…but i know even the smaller prisons in australia are bad: rape, theft of food, bashing, and murder are common placed, and are hid from the media so often.

Actually, low-level federal prisons can be quite nice.

quoting from agent steal, courtesy of http://www.happyhacker.org/crime/steal10.shtml

Federal prisons are generally going to be somewhat less crowded, cleaner, and more laid back. The prison I was at looked a lot like a college campus with plenty of grass and trees, rolling hills, and stucco buildings. I spent most of my time in the library hanging out with Minor Threat. We would argue over who was more elite. “My sentence was longer,” he would argue. “I was in more books and newspapers,” I would rebut. (humor) Exceptions to the Fed is better rule would be states that permit televisions and word processors in your cell. As I sit here just prior to release scribbling this article with pen and paper I yearn for even a Smith Corona with one line display. The states have varying privileges. You could wind up someplace where everything gets stolen from you. There are also states that are abolishing parole, thus taking away the ability to get out early with good behavior. That is what the Feds did.

The Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has six security levels. Prisons are assigned a security level and only prisoners with the appropriate ratings are housed there. Often the BOP will have two or three facilities at one location. Still, they are essentially separate prisons, divided by fences.

The lowest level facility is called a minimum, a camp, or FPC. Generally speaking, you will find first time, non-violent offenders with less than 10 year sentences there. Camps have no fences. Your work assignment at a camp is usually off the prison grounds at a nearby military base. Other times camps operate as support for other nearby prisons.

Originally posted by Huzzy
[B]

[QUOTE]may think that all data traffic is free of charge,

If you really think so, I feel sorry for you, I really do, because life isn’t as simple as you make it out to be

Dont try to insult me.
I believe i covered this in my original post in reference to the $80 million he cost.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes you said it was damage incurred by data transfer and developing the solution to this thread, but the way you said it you implied that this was no problem:
“but unline someone posted in a reply on the mainpage…it WASNT damage to hardware”

By that you implied that unless it is damage to hardware, it is no real damage incurred. And this is what I protested against in my post.

And I said, if you really believe that, then I feel sorry for you. So in this respect it is a matter of “whom the shoe fits”

And as I said in my previous post, sorry if I seem harsh on this, but I feel strongly about this issue. It is the thought/idea I oppose, not you personally.

Whoa,

Nice argument going on here :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think 20 months is that excessive and many people who end up in jail seem to get their sentences reduced for good behaviour/appeals etc. So I would be surprised if he actually spent that long in prison.

Someone said that sending him to prison would serve to scare future perpatrators from commiting similar crimes…yeah right that so works for other crimes doens’t it…NOT

Did this guy get fined? he should have been I think getting all your mony ripped from you can hurt many people a whole lot more than just prison. So I guess heavy fine + prison = ultimate punishment…no no even better when he gets out of jail ban him from using computers for say 5 years. Then when the ban is lifted as punishment bombard him with junk emails and viruses to screw his comp up (taste of his own medicine)…LOL evil aren’t I?

But on a more serious note I dont think prisons are a very clever idea as they just cost so much money to maintain and to house convicts…but that is a whole different argument :slight_smile:

Spunky

Telling hackers they can’t use their computers after they get out of jail is a bad idea. It’s their main job skill, making them jobless.

And besides, it’s not like it will stop them from hacking if they really want to. Most public libraries have free internet access, and bypassing the library protections is simple to say thr least.

OK MY BIT…

what he did was wrong (all agreed?), therefore he should be punished. 20 months is not that long and afterwards i bet he does it again. if it was just a fine, he wouldn’t/couldn’t pay and he would end up in jail anyway.

why do people feel the need to do such damage? there should be programs for people like this to do something constructive, help the government.

the age old arguement …these people are needed to make computing safe vs but without them it would be safe anyway.

By that you implied that unless it is damage to hardware, it is no real damage incurred. And this is what I protested against in my post.

this is a poor example, but here goes…if i got your car, and drove it around untill i used all the petrol (a full tank…thats about 50 australian dollars)

OK, what if i got a brick and put it through your window.
roughly worth $50 also

what would you be more pissed at ?
dont bother with a reply about “why would i let you drive my car” or “id be pissed that you drove my car without my permission”.

you know what im getting at.

The new window may cost $50, but that is including the work to put it in (or when it isn’t, it will be charged extra)

ANd I’d be pissed that you added private miles to my car, increasing the benefit in kind for my company car…another extra cost :wink:

I would be more pissed that you drove all my gas out of my car, It costs too much damnit, I can replace the windshield my self

The hackers that create waves and draw attention to themselves are the ones that get caught. Yes they get caught. Take Kevin Mitnick for example - almost 4 years in jail with no trial. The prosecution had either 9 gigs or 9 cd’s of data against him. He or his lawyers had no access to this until almost trial time. It was siad that he caused about 80 to 150 billion dollars in damage to the companies he hacked into. In reality it was not that high and several companies are being investigated because of what they said he took in programming. (checkout www.kevinmitnick.com)
He couldnt touch a pc or work at a company that had any types of computer.!!!

And yes, 20 or so months the Melissa creator will get out of jail and who knows he may have learned a lesson from it, and work as a consultant for Antivirus companies or something of that nature. I also detest somebody who writes virus code.

Big business influences governments all over the world.
Piss off big business, expect them to influence the government against you. Notice I didn’t say "controls’ government.

Don’t pull the tiger’s tail if you don’t want to get scratched.

20 months was not enough.

How many man hours did it take to repair the damage done by this? He’s lucky if he doesn’t owe the effected companies money too.

After all, what was he trying to prove to the world?

In the end, he failed.

He’ll have a boyfriend in jail by the time you read this.

The only thing more bruised than his ego: his rectum.

He’ll be stretched open for years to come.

Yeah, he needs a longer sentence.

your all complaining about how he cost all this money.

how much do you think it will cost to keep him in jail ?

but if he paid a fine and had a 20 month or even 40month ban on using a PC PLUS warning of a more servere punnishment next time would be 10 times more effective.

if anything this guy is going to come out of there pissed. wanting revenge. i would.

The money the companies spent on repairs could have gone towards, say a pay raise for the employees or better benefits.

I work for a big business. I have not had a pay raise (that even matched the inflation rate, let alone beats it) in over 8 years ! I’m lucky. I haven’t lost my job either. There’s been no downsizing at my office.

The bottom line: he still failed in what ever it was he was trying to prove to the world.

He pulled the tiger’s tail. Learn from his experience.
Or from “Mafia Boy’s”. Or from “DrinkOrDie”.

I wonder: how he’s explaining to the other prisioners why he’s in there? They robbed someone at gun point or raped or murdered. Him? He wrote a virus & other lesser computer crimes. LOL ! He’s fresh meat in the prison world.

But if America ever goes to war again AND has a draft. He’ll be exempt from duty.

That’s like going to jail for littering. A dumb thing to do. But he’ll still be exempt from duty. He won’t be able to go to another country for vacation. None will permit him entry with a criminal record. Good luck getting a good paying job ever again.

Dumb, dumb dumb!

I hope his arse hurts, bad!

LoL,

Spazmogen you are one funny guy LOL. You have some fucked up pre-occupation with male rape…let me add my 2 cents worth.

Correct me If I am wrong any American peeps out there. But I heard that when you go to prison in America they knock your front teeth out so that when they stick their cock too far down your throat you dont choke and involuntarily bite the said penis off. Is that true? That is so fucked up.

The argument that this guy wont learn his lesson from going to prison? Hmm I think he will. Think about it this guy is VERY unlikely to be some hardnut psycho, fuck with me and your dead badass. My point is after his 2 years (or whatever) in prison and a couple of litres of semen having been put in his arse and mouth you telling me this fool is going to go out and do ANYTHING that will put him back in an environment like that? (maybe he likes the taste of semen?)

You tell me would you want revenge so bad you would risk going back to prison to your new boyfriends and a whole lotta loving?

spunky have u ever heard of the phrase?

" violence breeds violence"

so when he comes out of prison after being brutilised, he will have changed into something more than just a hacker, perhaps a murderer.

prison doesn’t work!!! (but then what does?) - thats the ultimate question

Kinda like the guys on Hbo’s show OZ. I have never been to prison and dont want to go. But If I was in prison I would not be afraid to fight, just afraid some asshold would stab me.

There is a lot of corruption in prisons in the US.

Homemade wine, drugs, gangs, and other evil things