Megaupload host doesn't want to keep files

vbimport

Megaupload host doesn’t want to keep files.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/03/HxLTze.jpg[/newsimage]The US hosting company that is responsible for housing all of Megaupload's files is heading to court. The company is arguing that since it isn't getting paid for its services, they should no longer have to hold onto the files.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/megaupload-host-doesnt-want-to-keep-files-60632/](http://www.myce.com/news/megaupload-host-doesnt-want-to-keep-files-60632/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is why I will never rely on the cloud to do anything.

What’s even more commical is the US tyrannt govenment is the one causing Carpathia financial problems and they should sue the US justice and US attorney for financial losses for their fraudulent undue search and seizure to recoup the cost and loss for their business. By doing that then we will see whom will blink and most likely the US will blink cause now they will have to fight Dotcom and Carpathia for financial loss and to pay them back. Looks like the US is getting more and more deeper in financial trouble and thought they could get away stealing just Dotcom money now they will be sued by the Carpathia and the users whom data they can’t now access because of the illegal seizures by the US government on shaky evidence.

coolcolors, naaa.

I say they should ask the goverment to put in the money for them to keep the data, if not, they should just file for bankrupcy, and then after that, just delete all the data. Shut down the company, and start a new one instead.

At least by going for bankrupcy the goverment will be forced to do something if they want to keep the data etc, so then you will force the cost over on them instead of having them forcing the company to carry the costs.

I see that the MPAA has gone to court to get Carpathia to keep all the user info and files so that they can sue user who have allegedly uploaded infringing files to Megauploads…

In other news Kim Dotcoms wife has had twin girls…

paulw2, that is kind of strange, I don’t see that the goverment can force a private company to keep all that data. That would be strange if it was possible, if they offer to pay money to the company to keep it I could understand. But otherwise it is just strange.

This is allso why there is a time limit to charging someone of a crime and so on. Is is mostly only murder cases that are keept for a long time or where you can get charged a long time after the crime took place. But this megaupload thing can’t be at the same level. Then we could just say that all crimes regardless of what it is, you could face charges 40 years afterwards, that would just be ridiculous.

Countrys where there is no timelimit on these things are bad in terms of right or wrong, after a long time, it is way to dangerous as you could put someone in jail that is innocent.

But then again, we all know how the justice system works in america, money talks bullshit walks. That is how everything in U.S. works.

@CharmedonWB - Amen to that. Anyone who relies solely on “the cloud” for their important files is a fool. The Android modding community is learning this painful lesson, as hundreds of ROMs and themes and other assorted files that were stored at MegaUpload (and other sites that have been affected by the fallout from the takedown) have been lost. In some cases, it was because the uploader didn’t keep local copies, but in most cases, it was because the original uploader has moved on and abandoned the files, which are now no longer accessible by anyone. It’s been a mad scramble for people who may still have copies to upload them to other sites so that they may be accessed again, but the sad truth is that much of it may be lost forever. “Cloud is better” my hairy white ass.

It is taken for granted in information theory that only between 25% & 33% of “data” is actually unique content.

Those that lean towards the theoretical ideal try to reduce the redundancy
to save total storage space while the realisticly minded tend towards increasing redundancy.

“Cloud” is an idea by the theoretically minded.

While it would seem that storing things to the cloud would be creating another remote backup, the reality is that people unrealistically trust it.

as this situation proves.

Frankly I learned my lesson a decade ago by paying into the photopoint.com image hosting service, which went bust only
a couple of weeks after I paid them for a years storage.

Fooled me once.

Try to fool me again and I will hurt you.

FWIW, I do use Dropbox as a convenient way to access files from home, work, my phone, and my tablet, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to rely on it as my sole means of storage. I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2627822]FWIW, I do use Dropbox as a convenient way to access files from home, work, my phone, and my tablet, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to rely on it as my sole means of storage. I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I can see a use for such services, but they seem to advertise that they make your data “safe” (like a deposit box) when what you are using it for is to access your data from anywhere (like using a debit card)

This is how people were using megaupload and what they did was allowed their “cloud content” to be “unique content” And when the service was shut down, they lost access to their own data.

Now the owner of the physical hardware wants to delete the data.

IS the way this whole scenario played out really a suprise to anyone?

Anyone?

(Crickets chirping…)

AD