Mediatek DVD±RW chipsets

CD Freaks News

DigiTimes: Mediatek sampling DVD±RW chipsets

Tuesday 17 December 2002

Mediatek sampling DVD±RW chipsets
Claire Sung, Taipei; Chinmei Sung, DigiTimes.com

Taiwan-based IC design house Mediatek recently released samples of DVD chipsets supporting both of the rival DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats. A handful of local optical storage drive makers have begun testing the chips for drives scheduled to launch next year.

Michael Gong, general manager of Lite-On IT’s optical disc drive business unit, said the company is likely to sample a DVD dual drive in January. However, he said although the device will be a hit among consumers, the company will still make rewritable DVD drives supporting only one format to avoid royalty fees from both camps. Gong said the company prefers the DVD+RW format, developed by DVD+RW Alliance, as it is supported by PC industry heavyweights such as Dell Computer, Hewlett-Packard (HP) and Microsoft.

The DVD-RW standard was developed by Pioneer and backed by the DVD-RW Forum, of which several founding companies are from Japan, such as Hitachi, Matsushita (Panasonic), Mitsubishi, Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba.

Quanta Storage and Behavior Tech Computer (BTC) plan to launch DVD+RW or DVD-RW drives next year. Despite Mediatek’s new chipset supporting both formats, the companies can still disable one format and leave the other functioning.

The success of Mediatek’s DVD dual chip is highly welcome news for Taiwanese drive makers as the chip will be cheaper than imported ones from Japan or Europe, a local company said. After commercially launching the DVD dual chipsets, Mediatek is likely to incorporate the DVD-RAM format into the dual chips, sources added.

At present, Sony is the only company that sells DVD dual drives. The DRU-500A and the DRX-500UL support 2.4x DVD+R/RW, 2x DVD-RW, 4x DVD-R and 8x DVD ROM, and are priced at about US$300 and US$410, respectively.

I already have a DVD writer :bigsmile: But if I hadn’t, mediatek would be nice. Would make bad-flash-recovery very easy.

Can hardly wait for drives based on this chipset. Or any other for that matter as long as it brings down the price to $200. The Sony is way too expensive for me at the moment.

Originally posted by MTR
Can hardly wait for drives based on this chipset. Or any other for that matter as long as it brings down the price to $200. The Sony is way too expensive for me at the moment.

That was the deciding factor for me on my Cendyne DVD-R/RW drive (Pioneer 104). $169 after rebates. I’m expecting that by next summer, the +/- drives will sell for less than that, and in the meantime, I’ve found some cheap DVD-R media that so far doesn’t seem to be giving me any problems…

I just hope the Lite-On DVD burners are as good as their CDRW drives.

LiteOn is already known well in all major markets so it will not be too difficult for LiteOn to capture some share in the DVD writer market. It took some time for LiteOn to change popular perception and evaluation of the maker with CD writers and DVD-ROM drives.

Originally posted by Kenshin
It took some time for LiteOn to change popular perception and evaluation of the maker with CD writers and DVD-ROM drives.

I like Lite-On for the fact that they have one of the best DVD-ROM drives around in the LTD-16x series and that their writers are cheap and are able to copy about anything.
What I don’t like is the lack of customer support. That definately slowed down the acceptance process. Cheap only goes so far.

A thread created in 2002 but it seems opinions about Mediatek chipsets were far better then. Right now, there are Lite-On forum and Samsung forum and most of their latest DVD recordable PC drive products are based on Mediatek chipsets.

Yes I was kinda freaked out when I noticed the date of the thread. :wink:

Sometimes long-term views are helpful. :bigsmile:

Were not you the one ranting on how Lite-On would be the first to introduce sub 200 dollars DVD writers and then got flamed unfairly because they did not, and then used a Sony rebadge at first, come to think of it? :wink:

Anyway I remember when I bought the old LG 16x CD-Writer because of all the new features the Mediatek chipset gave me, it’s really incredible what these chipsets have done for CD and DVD burning.

I didn’t think I was “flamed” for what I said about the first entry of Lite-On DVD writers. What I said about the sub-200 was mostly true. It was Lite-On that really helped price competitions in the CD and also DVD recording drive markets. The Sony DRU-500A/LDW-400D was just a temporary release to fill a gap caused from supply delay of key components that were mostly produced by Japanese manufacturers that were very reluctant to supply Taiwanese makers at low cost. Similar things happened to Samsung’s OMS business. Samsung wanted to do at least as well as LG in the optical field but they couldn’t either make their own DVD writers or find a good partner in Japan. They finally chose Toshiba but it was too late.

Aaaaaaaahh, memories. :slight_smile: