MediaTek drives have "over"- average error corection capabilities

vbimport

This post is here, as it is referred to by pinto2’s post below

MID: MCC 004
Batch: CMC PAPA 23 C10-1
Neo-Verbatim 50 Pack from Office Max (New Packaging)
Type: DVD+R 16x
Burned @:20x
Burned With: CD Speed 4.7.7.15
Drive/Firmware: LiteOn DH20A3P Sep 2007 OEM/XV63
SmartBurn Off, Online HT On, Force HT On, OS On
RPM set to 19.3

Overall my best 20x burn with this drive with any of the firmware I have tried. A bit of a slowdown right toward the end else it would have been <100 PIF.

[I]Post somewhat off topic.[/I][QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2000584]MID: MCC 004…Overall my best 20x burn with this drive with any of the firmware I have tried. A bit of a slowdown right toward the end else it would have been <100 PIF.[/QUOTE]Decent burn to start with. :iagree:

But still, drive is not able to burn at 20x so to name this a 20x burn is just to shoot over the target… :slight_smile:
Jitter is jumping like mad, not good at all not good for my liking anyway.

Note also, some MediaTek drives have “over”- average error corection capabilities (with sampling rates in range of 1.2 to 1.4 @1ECC ). Not to be trusted at all, not in my books anyway. :flower:

I’ve no intention to take anything away from all these posts (or the firmware patcher), I just wanna everyone to be aware of that these nice “scans” are in no way relevant and shouldn’t be used as references when it comes to real life burns, (data or movies).

[QUOTE=pinto2;2000711][I]Post somewhat off topic.[/I]Decent burn to start with. :iagree:

But still, drive is not able to burn at 20x so to name this a 20x burn is just to shoot over the target… :slight_smile:

Note also, some MediaTek drives have “over”- average error corection capabilities (with sampling rates in range of 1.2 to 1.4 @1ECC ). Not to be trusted at all, not in my books anyway. :flower:

I’ve no intention to take anything away from all these posts (or the firmware patcher), I just wanna everyone to be aware of that these nice “scans” are in no way relevant and shouldn’t be used as references when it comes to real life burns, (data or movies).[/QUOTE]
First you nit pick, then you claim to not “take anything away”. Either call a spade a spade or don’t comment.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2000711][I]Post somewhat off topic.[/I]Decent burn to start with. :iagree:

I’ve no intention to take anything away from all these posts (or the firmware patcher), I just wanna everyone to be aware of that these nice “scans” are in no way relevant and shouldn’t be used as references when it comes to real life burns, (data or movies).[/QUOTE]

Well I’m sorry I don’t have one of those cool ass DaTARIUS DVD Analyzer’s to do some authoritative scans.:rolleyes:

In the first place, I’m not “naming” this burn anything other than “my” best attempt at 20x with the 20A3P. It clearly isn’t a 16x burn, and it clearly isn’t an 18x burn… maybe we should call it a 19.1x burn.:cop:

And secondly, the BenQ scan which does include more samples than the LiteOn, is not [B]that [/B] far removed. I wouldn’t say the jitter is jumping like mad, either. It isn’t over 12% and it seems quite good in my opinion for a high speed burn. The transfer curve is clean. I also printed this disc with my Casio a few hours ago before testing it on the BenQ because I didn’t realize it needed to testify before the senate sub-committee on burn quality. The quality scan shows 98% – I’d say this is better than a decent burn, but then again I wasn’t claiming it was a superb result either.:stuck_out_tongue:

Also, it has been stated that the jitter the DH-20A3P reports is NOT the same as jitter reported by BenQ drives, other LiteOn drives, and Plextor drives [I think]. It is, instead, DC jitter, and in a lot of graphs, the jitter from these drives will jump around quite a bit. :flower:

[Look at recent scans by 20A3 drives of LG burns, some Optiarc burns, etc…you will see jitter in excess of 21% on some, and some pretty big jumps… That burn isn’t quite that bad in the sense of the jitter being reported. :disagree:]

[I]Not at all related to topic
[/I]
@Dalen Quaice, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. And the attached scan on a BenQ burner is just the icing on the cake. :iagree:
You made your point.

@Albert. Damn, I’ll have to remember your new nic once for all. :bigsmile:
DC jitter…? :confused: Hope I’ll have time to learn more about this one day. But in the end, I don’t think that kinda jitter differs that much from/to “normal” jitter scanning. Naming things in a different manner is mostly just a fashion for Lite-On.
Maybe you can point me in some direction to learn about the difference in BenQ/Lite-On jitter scanning.

@C0deKing, check your PM. :cool:

pinto2, I think this thread might help with the different types of jitter, though I’m not sure how well you might be able to apply this [it sure doesn’t help me understand the difference much, LOL]:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/understanding-jitter-195131/

This thread may also help in some small way, though I promise nothing in the way of actual comprehension:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/precision-accuracy-reliability-disc-quality-pi-po-jitter-tests-163379/index6.html

[I]Off topic.[/I] Free to delete.

Those links don’t telling me anything about “DC” jitter… :flower:

I’ve only learned the basics about jitter on DVD’s from ECMA-267 (p.18ff). Can’t see anything mentioned there about DC jitter though.
Maybe you better start a new thread about this one.

13.4.1 Jitter
Jitter is the standard deviation σ of the time variation of the digitized data passed through the equalizer. The
jitter of the leading and trailing edges is measured to the PLL clock and normalized by the Channel bit clock
period.
Jitter shall be less than 8,0 % of the Channel bit clock period, when measured according to annex F.

Thanks. :wink:

First of all, thanks to [I]C0deKing[/I] moving my off topic posts to new forum section. :clap:

Second, oooh man, sometimes things goes in opposite directions as intended and right now I feel like I’m in a situation when the s**t hits the fan, honestly said.

But anyway, all these nice <100 PIF Liteys scans posted (when movies backups ofcourse), do they play back well without skipping whe playing on standalones? Just a question or say a test for all posting here.
Please also, post info about your stanalone player, brand and model.

My apologies to [I]Dalen Qaice[/I], [I]steven2874 [/I]and[I] Albert[/I] for dragging you all into this. Hope a few of you (also) have a BenQ burner in compu.

Thanks all. :flower:

And even more off topic:

ahhh pinto2 my old friend.

Scanning is a free for all now. Did you get my reply PM?

[quote=pinto2;2000948]First of all, thanks to [I]C0deKing[/I] moving my off topic posts to new forum section. :clap:

Second, oooh man, sometimes things goes in opposite directions as intended and right now I feel like I’m in a situation when the s**t hits the fan, honestly said.

But anyway, all these nice <100 PIF Liteys scans posted (when movies backups ofcourse), do they play back well without skipping whe playing on standalones? Just a question or say a test for all posting here.
Please also, post info about your stanalone player, brand and model.

My apologies to [I]Dalen Qaice[/I], [I]steven2874 [/I]and[I] Albert[/I] for dragging you all into this. Hope a few of you (also) have a BenQ burner in compu.

Thanks all. :flower:[/quote]Hehe, ya didn’t drag me into anything. :wink:

Sorry that the links provided didn’t help too much…:frowning: But at least you managed to find a little bit of information yourself. :iagree:

Now, about the sub-100 PIF scans [I]I have[/I] [they are rare…]. To be honest, no, not all of them play, mostly because of stuff like beta, jitter, etc, that the Litey has issues doing right. CK’s firmware has helped a bit, though, and now the discs I use are pretty much equally as playable as burns done by my Pioneer 112 [my best burner for compatibility at the moment]. And they still scan pretty nicely. :iagree:

I typically use two drives for scanning- a Lite-On DH-20A3P and my venerable BenQ 1640. With quality burns on quality media I have found the results are quite similar.
Here is a 20X (excuse me pinto2;)19.4X) burn scanned on the two drives-
Verbatim 16X-R (MAP6) 100 Pc. CMC M.I.T.

Lite-On’s not able reach full 20x speed is not my point in this thread… :disagree:
Whet I first aimed at those sub 100 PIF burns was about discs (and more precisely discs with movies burned on them) not being able to play back without skipping.

I’ve burned almost 2800 DVD discs since I joined this forum late '03. Most of them have been “data discs”, and about 1200 have been posted here on forum.
But I also have done about 1.5k movie backup burns (some movies like LOTR1 with 500 copies, all shredded after burn).
And I’ve a rutine to test movie burns on my standalones [Sony, Samsung, Lumatron] and also on PS2 directly after the scan/trt test.
Lately I’ve experienced problems with high speed burned moviebackups that were burned on drives with MediaTek chip, this although the scans were perfect (and well in specs, sub 90 QS).

This is why I made a remark against “nice” (MediaTeek drives) “perfect” scans in first place.
Ofcourse, anyone happy with nice scans but not playable movies, discs that don’t play back on your stanalone don’t need to post, heh he.
As far as ou are happy with your “perfect” scan (and transfer rate test) I don’t care. But you should!. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2002167]Lite-On’s not able reach full 20x speed is not my point in this thread… :disagree:
Whet I first aimed at those sub 100 PIF burns was about discs (and more precisely discs with movies burned on them) not being able to play back without skipping.

I’ve burned almost 2800 DVD discs since I joined this forum late '03. Most of them have been “data discs”, and about 1200 have been posted here on forum.
But I also have done about 1.5k movie backup burns (some movies like LOTR1 with 500 copies, all shredded after burn).
And I’ve a rutine to test movie burns on my standalones [Sony, Samsung, Lumatron] and also on PS2 directly after the scan/trt test.
Lately I’ve experienced problems with high speed burned moviebackups that were burned on drives with MediaTek chip, this although the scans were perfect (and well in specs, sub 90 QS).

This is why I made a remark against “nice” (MediaTeek drives) “perfect” scans in first place.
Ofcourse, anyone happy with nice scans but not playable movies, discs that don’t play back on your stanalone don’t need to post, heh he.
As far as ou are happy with your “perfect” scan (and transfer rate test) I don’t care. But you should!. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Obviously you’ve had problems playing your discs. I haven’t had any problems playing the back-ups that I’ve posted here. Your experiences are yours alone , heh he.

[QUOTE=steven2874;2002220]Obviously you’ve had problems playing your discs. I haven’t had any problems playing the back-ups that I’ve posted here. Your experiences are yours alone , heh he.[/QUOTE]Don’t think your post/ answer needs any high-tech comment… :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2002811]Don’t think your post/ answer needs any high-tech comment… :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I [I]was[/I] going to let you have the last word, pinto2, but I just have to ask. Why on earth would someone copy one movie 500 times?:bigsmile:

Testing purpose… :bigsmile:

BTW, I’m not copying the same movie over and over, I’m [I]reburning[/I] the same movie ISO image. :smiley:

yeah .iso/.nrg images seem to me more of a real life test than the meaningless garbage Nero CD-DVD Speed uses.

JMHO :\

[QUOTE=pinto2;2003531]Testing purpose… :bigsmile:

BTW, I’m not copying the same movie over and over, I’m [I]reburning[/I] the same movie ISO image. :D[/QUOTE]
What a waste of polycarbonate:rolleyes:
And, once again, pinto2 is the supreme picker of nits:eek:
“That’s not a 20X burn, it’s only 19.4X” 'sez pinto2.
“BTW, I’m not copying the same movie over and over, I’m [I]reburning[/I] the same movie ISO image.” 'sez pinto2.
Have a wonderfull life, pinto2:bigsmile:

[B]OK. Please calm down guys.[/B]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The fact is, there is NO correct drive for scanning. People should use what works for them and allow everyone else to use what they prefer to use.