MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool for DVD-Writers

vbimport

[QUOTE=ala42;2636816]MCSE works fine with GL29. Post the original GL29 bin dump you used.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was trying with the wrong bin dump! Solved! Thanks the same. :wink:

Posting here in the general thread as it seems the one updated more frequently.
Please pardon my complete ignorance of these matters, I’m trying to understand more how this all works so I would apreciate some further explanations.

I own a NEC ND-3520A 1.04
Appearently it’s unable to write audio CDs at speeds under 8x with its current firmware, and this is an issue for the CD drive I have in my car.
A friend pointed out the firmware modification through MediaCodeSpeedEdit as a possible solution.

I dumped my drive’s fw with binflash and opened it with MediaCode, but at this point I’m stuck wondering what to do next[ol]
[li]It only shows data concerning DVD discs. Does this mean that I won’t be able to change data concerning CDs with this software?[/li][li]Previously I always assumed that the write speeds inside a drive’s fw were one for each category. So a writing speed for CD-R, one for CD+R, one for DVD-R and so on. After reading a bit the huge list that loads up once I opened up my dumped fw, it seems to me that appearently there’s a writing speed set for each type/brand of disc instead. Correct?[/li][li]Supposing the above question gets an affirmative answer, does it mean that I am to change the writing speed limits for each of the CD brands/types I want to use with my drive?[/li][/ol]I guess this will be more than enough questions from me for now. Thanks for any help provided :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Akumasama;2637620]
I own a NEC ND-3520A 1.04
Appearently it’s unable to write audio CDs at speeds under 8x with its current firmware, and this is an issue for the CD drive I have in my car.
[/QUOTE]
Basicly no drive can do this nowadays, but that is no problem as media and write algorithms are made for higher write speed.
If the standard 32x write speed does not work, clean the lense of writer and reader. Do you smoke ?

[QUOTE=ala42;2637623]Basicly no drive can do this nowadays, but that is no problem as media and write algorithms are made for higher write speed.
If the standard 32x write speed does not work, clean the lense of writer and reader. Do you smoke ?[/QUOTE]
So you’re suggesting to just forget about the writing speed and go for 32x, after having cleaned the lense of both writer and reader? Don’t even know if my NEC can write that fast, to be honest I’ve always focused on writing as slow as possible when burning audio discs, that I never bothered to check what is the max available speed lol
Is 32x better than 8x or are you saying there is no difference at all in terms of “reading compatibility” and so it’s better to use the fastest speed to spend less time burning?

I smoke, not much but I do smoke in the car every now and then. I don’t smoke in the room with the NEC writer, which is around 4 years old.

The car is a 2006 Golf V, it has a built-in reader called RCD-500 if I recall. Provided by either Blaupunkt or Pioneer, I don’t remember.

Hi,

to feed a picky player, there are three parameters to keep an eye on:

[list=1.]
[li] The drive. Your NEC should be fine (unless it is broken)[/li][li] The write speed. With good media and a useable drive, you should get good results with speeds in the range between 8x and 24x.[/li][li] The blank media. Best stuff you can get is blank CD-R from Tayio Yuden (often sold under JVC brand). Since availability might be limited, you can also try blank media made by Ritek or CMC. These are not very long-lasting, but I found them rather compatible with poor players. [/li][/list]
I expect a 2005 car stereo to accept CD-R. If there are problems, then these reasons might apply:

[list=1.]
[li] Unit is defective (that includes a dirty lens)[/li][li] The quality of your disc is lousy. Might be due to poor media or a bad CD writer.[/li][/list]

Michael

I see, that’s very helping and gives me something to work on at least :slight_smile:

Could 800mb/90mins CD also mean less compatibility, since they’re not the “standard” 80mins ones?

Yes. Most standard compliant would be 650 MB/74 min discs, but these are extinct. 700 MB/80 min is the way you go.

Michael

I got an old NEC ND-1100A from my fathers collection and wanted to look inside the firmware 1.A3 with MCSE, but there will no media codes and speeds displayed:confused:. But my ND-1300A firmware can be edited by MCSE without any problems. What’s the difference between these two drives in the way the firmware is handled? I read that both drives use the same hardware.

Hey guys,
i got a Samsung SH-B123L. MediaCodeSpeedEdit loads the firmware without any problems but the "increase read speed’ checkbox keeps greyed. It is possible to support this drive? I’ve found some other helpless guys on the internet with this drive and it’s the second cheapest blu ray reader (with custom reviews) on amazom.[B][/B]de so i think there is actually need.
Would be realy nice! (This drive is capped at 6x and has the ability to make 12x)

Thanks,
pruk

[QUOTE=SCSI_100;2638355]I got an old NEC ND-1100A from my fathers collection and wanted to look inside the firmware 1.A3 with MCSE, but there will no media codes and speeds displayed:confused:. But my ND-1300A firmware can be edited by MCSE without any problems. What’s the difference between these two drives in the way the firmware is handled? [B]I read that both drives use the same hardware.[/B][/QUOTE]

Where?

What you read is only 50% true.

[QUOTE=chef;2639285]Where?[/QUOTE]

Somewhere on the net. I can’t remember where. But it was written that the hardware are the same. If you open the drive, the PCB and the chips are identical. Same PCB name and number (PWA-3029 (MP)). I own both drives and can make a direct comparison of the hardware. Of course, I can’t look inside the chips

What you read is only 50% true.

What it the difference between the drives? Can You explain it to me? The only thing I know is, that the ND-1100A has no calibration data for DVD-R media, but this should be a part of the firmware or bootcode. If I am wrong please let me know.

Please add support for LG BH10NS38.

Thank you for your considering.

[QUOTE=lagyu;2645183]Please add support for LG BH10NS38.

Thank you for your considering.[/QUOTE]
It works fine with the current MCSE version.

[QUOTE=SCSI_100;2639430]

What it the difference between the drives? Can You explain it to me? The only thing I know is, that the ND-1100A has no calibration data for DVD-R media, but this should be a part of the firmware or bootcode. If I am wrong please let me know.[/QUOTE]

There are at least 2 hardware revisions.
the older one cannot ever deal with burning DVD-R, the later one is a sneaky-labelled 1300A in fact.

Ok, then I have the luck to own both drives with the same hardware revision. But where is the problem of displaying ND-1100A write speeds in MCSE? Perhaps ala42 can help, please.

[QUOTE=SCSI_100;2647161]But where is the problem of displaying ND-1100A write speeds in MCSE? Perhaps ala42 can help, please.[/QUOTE]
It was not worth the effort to add this drive seven years ago, when I added support for other NEC drives.

Any support for the Pio BDR-207M (EBK) to bump the read speed of BD-ROMs?
Thanks
Nathan

FYI found what I needed called the Pioneer BD Drive Utility that is on the included Cyberlink Disk in which you can turn off “quiet mode”

Off topic.

…But where is the problem of displaying ND-1100A write speeds in MCSE? …

@SCSI 100.
If I recall correctly our long gone member Quikee developed a tool named NEC Dump. Never tested it on a 1100A but it works well with ND3500.
Thanks. :flower:

//off topic.

Are there any plans to support the Samsung SE-506AB in MCSE? Thanks.