MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool for DVD-Writers

vbimport

Thank-you for not ignoring me.
All the best!

@ ala42

any chance to make my liteon ATAPI iHBS112 2 faster to read the bluerays ? i try the newest version with different firmwares but nothing else done in the mediacodespeededit program. Thanx

Greetz Speedy

[QUOTE=Speedyin2003;2544123]@ ala42

any chance to make my liteon ATAPI iHBS112 2 faster to read the bluerays ? i try the newest version with different firmwares but nothing else done in the mediacodespeededit program. Thanx
[/QUOTE]
What makes you think the drive reads slow ? Post some cdspeed transfer rate graphs.

I have a bad BlueRay, Kill Bill Vol.2 it takes about over 1hour to read it complete. I have tried an another Blue Ray so it comes faster :slight_smile:

Greetz Speedy

[QUOTE=Speedyin2003;2544186]I have a bad BlueRay, Kill Bill Vol.2 it takes about over 1hour to read it complete. I have tried an another Blue Ray so it comes faster :slight_smile:

Greetz Speedy[/QUOTE]

The tech is still called BLU-RAY.

Also, I doubt you meant “reading” in that case. :smiley:

@ala42

I’m new to your tool and I’m sure this has been answered, just haven’t come across anything when I’ve tried looking.

I have two LG drives.
WH08LS20 (aka BH08LS20, Bluray writer) and GH22NS50 (DVD writer with RAM ability).

Now, I’m sure that I’m mucking this up somehow so I won’t bother hiding the n00bness here.

Downloaded both the wh08ls20 and bh08ls20 firmware files. Both are .exe’s and when I try to load it into MCSE, it fills in the firmware and bootcode info just fine, but the select drive ID is filled with ?'s and there is nothing in the list of types. I’m sure that it’s because it’s an EXE file and not a BIN file, but in that case, how do I extract the BIN from the EXE?

[I]Edit1:
Also, when loading a file, I get the message that the code list is not yet available for the LG firmware. I see the RPC2 Auto Reset box but not the Riplock box. When loading the GH22NS50 file, there is no drive selection box on the bottom right.[/I]

[I]Edit2:
Okay the issue with the GH22NS50 is that the firmware I’m grabbing isn’t a supported version. However, still having the problem with the firmware file for BH08LS20 v2.00 file.[/I]

Also, please tell me if I’m understanding this correctly. Basically, importing the file, making any changes, exporting it, then using the modified firmware to flash the drive, so that I can burn media at a rate faster than the media was originally designed for (but have it still work just fine anyway). Is that correct?

hey people,

just planning on using MCSE to RPC1 patch the firmware on my DVD drive.
it’s a TSSTCorp TS-T633A SC01. I can’t see any specific mention of this (SC01) firmware in the changelog, but I managed to open the firmware and click the RPC1 checkbox.

I just wanted to check that the SC01 firmware version works with MCSE before I apply the patched firmware to my drive?

thanks in advance…

[QUOTE=aIpaca;2551425]just planning on using MCSE to RPC1 patch the firmware on my DVD drive.
it’s a TSSTCorp TS-T633A SC01. I can’t see any specific mention of this (SC01) firmware in the changelog, but I managed to open the firmware and click the RPC1 checkbox.

I just wanted to check that the SC01 firmware version works with MCSE before I apply the patched firmware to my drive?
[/QUOTE]
You should have no problem with SC01.

[QUOTE=ala42;2551717]You should have no problem with SC01.[/QUOTE]

Cheers - worked perfectly. Excellent tool!

Thanks for your hard work on this, it seems like a really useful piece of software! Unfortunately I don’t seem to be having any luck unlocking the 8x DL BD read/rip speed on my Lite-On iHES 108.

I’ve successfully dumped the original firmware, opened it in MCSE, checked the “read speed increase” checkbox, saved the patched firmware, flashed it, and rebooted. My DL blu-ray ripping speed never exceeds 3.8X using MakeMkv, or 16 MB/s copying files using Windows Explorer.

I’ve also patched/flashed the 7L07 firmware found at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html, and the 7L09 firmware found at http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iH...2B2/files.html. Same results.

If I use the Flash Utility 5.0 to dump the firmware and open it in MCSE, the “read speed increase” checkbox is already checked which leads me to think the drive is being flashed properly. I’m just not seeing any effects from the riplock.

I’m using the Intel Rapid Storage AHCI driver in Windows 7 64-bit.

Does anyone have an idea on what I should try next? Thanks in advance…

Post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed burst transfer test, you need a disk with some data in the drive to run the test. It should display about 23 MB/sec.
Post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed transfer rate test of a data and a video DVD.

Will do. Thanks for the super-prompt reply!

Thanks, that’s a great little app!

It’s now evident from the tests that the 8x speed is being enabled. Here are the result graphs:

STOCK Transfer Rate:

PATCHED Transfer Rate:

Comparing the stock and patched transfer rates, I notice that the stock burst rate is 10 MB/s higher than the patched burst rate. Additionally, whereas the stock graph seems fairly “clean”, the center of the patched graph looks odd. Are those two things I should be concerned about?

The source was a brand new copy of Toy Story 2, a dual layer blu-ray disc.

Thanks again!

The burst rate should not change, probably your PC had better things to do then transfering data. Reading at lower spead is easier, so the graph is clean. At the outer part of the disk, the data rate and mechanical problems are higher, so reading data gets harder. The data rate slows down when getting read errors due to the retries. On the second layer the drive reduced the rotation speed, probably because the second layer is harder to read. Overall the fast graph looks fine.
If the MakeMkv rip speed does not improve with the patched firmware, MakeMkv or your hard disk access are the bottlenecks. Check the task manager for CPU load.
In case you use AnyDVDHD, that could be the bottleneck, as it does not work well with faster drives due to missing read ahead and too high latencies.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am indeed using MakeMKV and my hardware is fairly fast… HDD is a 2 TB (667 GB platters) with a sequential write speed of 140 MB/s, and CPU is a Core i3 550 (with a light OC to 3.60 Ghz). CPU usage while ripping remains at 1-3%. It doesn’t seem there is any bottleneck there.

Perhaps I should try with a different disc, or different software… it’s a little disappointing to get 4x speeds when I specifically bought an 8x drive :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!!

Trying to get to the bottom of this I’ve done quite a lot of testing this weekend, and came to the conclusion that the results with that drive were highly dependent on the BD disc. For example, there was no difference whatsoever ripping Toy Story 2, but ripping Toy Story 1 went almost twice as fast using the riplock. Coco Before Chanel BD also was faster, but An Education was just as slow.

In the end I picked up a Samsung 12x drive yesterday which was just $10 more. The SH-B123L is also riplocked (at 6x) but it gives me more consistent results across discs than the 8x LiteOn drive. I know the Samsung uses a new CPU core and is not yet supported in MCSE, but hopefully in time it will be. This is a pretty cheap drive here ($70) so I’m assuming many people will pick it up. It would be amazing to do those rips at 12x speed!

Thanks again for all your help. Cheers!

[QUOTE=gshawn;2555103]Thanks for the prompt reply. I am indeed using MakeMKV and my hardware is fairly fast… HDD is a 2 TB (667 GB platters) with a sequential write speed of 140 MB/s, and CPU is a Core i3 550 (with a light OC to 3.60 Ghz). CPU usage while ripping remains at 1-3%. It doesn’t seem there is any bottleneck there.

Perhaps I should try with a different disc, or different software…[B] it’s a little disappointing to get 4x speeds when I specifically bought an 8x drive[/B] :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!![/QUOTE]

That’s all grey theory, not the entire truth. :wink:

[QUOTE=gshawn;2555316]In the end I picked up a Samsung 12x drive yesterday which was just $10 more. The SH-B123L is also riplocked (at 6x) but it gives me more consistent results across discs than the 8x LiteOn drive. I know the Samsung uses a new CPU core and is not yet supported in MCSE, but hopefully in time it will be. This is a pretty cheap drive here ($70) so I’m assuming many people will pick it up. It would be amazing to do those rips at 12x speed! Thanks again for all your help. Cheers![/QUOTE]

Seems unlikely it’ll be supported any-time soon…

Hopefully down-the-tack, if many more people are using it, it will be.

Did you look at the CH10LS20 (aka UH10LS20)? Seems to be well supported by MCSE.
Not sure how it compares to the SH-B123L WRT day-to-say ripping of BD’s.

[QUOTE=jalyst;2555340]Seems unlikely it’ll be supported any-time soon…

Hopefully down-the-tack, if many more people are using it, it will be.

Did you look at the CH10LS20 (aka UH10LS20)? Seems to be well supported by MCSE.
Not sure how it compares to the SH-B123L WRT day-to-say ripping of BD’s.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did read those posts in detail and it’s unfortunate that the SH-B123L isn’t supported in MCSE at this time. I looked for the LG 10x but the store didn’t have it in stock. The Samsung is working out great though, even riplocked at 6x it is faster at ripping DL BD discs than the 8x LiteOn was. And hopefully, ala42 can work out a way to support the new ARM core eventually. When that happens, I’ll be ready to help out with any testing necessary.

Yeah I was very close to getting it, as I liked the sound of it on-balance (looked at multiple sources)
But the fact that it had no MCSE support & was unlikely to any time soon, killed it for me, so I caved-in & got the CH10LS120.