MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers

vbimport

[QUOTE=geeji;2657807]Sorry, I have just seen cvs suggestion which I missed 4 weeks ago.
I suppose it would have worked, except that after my initial post, ala42 PMed me the patched firmware directly, which flashed fine
But may be it is the way he obtained it ?[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! I also have the BP06LU10 with the old HL03 firmware. I tried using the Flasher myself to extract and create the custom firmware from the HL04 exe updater, but I receive the following error:

I used the following syntax: flasher -r BP06LU10_HL04.exe

Error:
firm_ripexe: Failed to split firmware
cmd_ripexe: Failed firmware ripping process

Is there any way I could get a copy of this flashed firmware from either [B]ala42[/B] or [B]geeji[/B] as well? I have searched the internet and can’t find it posted anywhere.

Just out of curiosity? How did ala42 create the firmware in the first place? I am just curious as to why I am receiving this error when trying to rip the firmware directly from the exe updater using the flasher. As we all know dumping the firmware directly into MCSE does not work because the boxes are all greyed out.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I can’t believe how many months I have wasted being in the dark about RIPLOCK. I have already ripped a metric ton of blu-rays for XBMC…24TB worth…:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=falconexe;2663233]Hey guys! I also have the BP06LU10 with the old HL03 firmware. I tried using the Flasher myself to extract and create the custom firmware from the HL04 exe updater, but I receive the following error:

I used the following syntax: flasher -r BP06LU10_HL04.exe

Error:
firm_ripexe: Failed to split firmware
cmd_ripexe: Failed firmware ripping process
[/QUOTE]

Download the BP06LU10_HL04.exe file again. The one you’re using must be corrupted, because flasher is able to rip the HL04 firmware just fine (I just checked).

Unfortunately though, ripping the main firmware from the HL04.exe updater will not be of any use, because MCSE will not be able to patch the extracted firmware either …

[QUOTE=cvs;2663235]Download the BP06LU10_HL04.exe file again. The one you’re using must be corrupted, because flasher is able to rip the HL04 firmware just fine (I just checked).

Unfortunately though, ripping the main firmware from the HL04.exe updater will not be of any use, because MCSE will not be able to patch the extracted firmware either …[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. So is there anyone that has a RipBlock patched version of this firmware that they can send me? Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=falconexe;2663239]Thanks for the heads up. So is there anyone that has a RipBlock patched version of this firmware that they can send me? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Sorry RipLock…

[B]ala42[/B] hooked me up with the firmware for my BP06 and it works great. Thanks again!

However, I am running into some MAJOR issues with another drive.

I just picked up an older BH12LS38 Version 1.0 from Best Buy tonight because my BH10 just crapped out…

I have been trying to patch (MCSE 1.2.0.10) and flash both the .exe firmware, and the main.bin dump. Both error out.

[B]Flashing Error with BH12LS38_L101_speedpatched.exe:[/B]
Updating was failed. Please repeat that. (Error data = 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 17 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 )

[B]Flashing Error with BH12_main_firmware_speedpatched.bin (ripped from my drive, but same error with other people’s dumps):[/B]
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process started

firm_flasher: Drive should be flashing its light.
firm_flasher: This indicates its flashing its self.
firm_flasher: This can take a while, Please be patiant.
firm_flasher: Failed to write at 0x00000000
firm_flasher: your drive should still be fine.
cmd_flashfirm: Flashing process failed

Am I doing something wrong here? I have even tried patching and flashing from other peoples main.bin dumps. The only thing I have not tried is patching the 1.00 version exe, because I cannot find it anywhere.

Does anyone have this firmware patched that they can send me? Do I have a bad drive or something? I’ve tried multiple SATA controllers/motherboards too. Something of note is that I can’t even update the firmware (1.01) directlry from LG using their unpatched exe. What the crap is that about? I keep getting “Updating was failed. Please repeat that.”

One more question. Can someone send me a link on the egg (or FULL model number) for the fastest ripping drive after successful patching? I keep reading that LITEON drives rock… All I see on the egg are the following:

ihes112-04
IHES312-98
iHES212-08

Any recommendations?

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s time and help!

is there any firmware file available for BH14NS40?

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2663372]is there any firmware file available for BH14NS40?[/QUOTE]

Not yet.

[QUOTE=falconexe;2663366]…

I have been trying to patch (MCSE 1.2.0.10) and flash both the .exe firmware, and the main.bin dump. Both error out.

Something of note is that I can’t even update the firmware (1.01) directlry from LG using their unpatched exe. What the crap is that about? I keep getting “Updating was failed. Please repeat that.”[/QUOTE]

This is not really having anything to do with MCSE given that even the official flasher doesn’t work … you must have some system problem, either hardware or software.

Try a different SATA cable, and if you haven’t done it already, connect the drive to the native Intel SATA controller on your board(s). Avoid the RAID controllers or in general the ‘non native’ ones. Try both AHCI and IDE controller modes if you can.

Do you have any security / applications firewall type of software installed such as KIS or similar, which could block the flasher’s proper access’s to the drive? Try disabling your security software and have another go at flashing your drive. If you’re using Win 7 try running the flasher as administrator via the Run As Administrator command …

[QUOTE=falconexe;2663366]One more question. Can someone send me a link on the egg (or FULL model number) for the fastest ripping drive after successful patching? I keep reading that LITEON drives rock… All I see on the egg are the following:

ihes112-04
IHES312-98
iHES212-08
[/QUOTE]

LiteOn BD drives cannot be patched. The iHBSx12 burners are good rippers out of the box.

[QUOTE=cvs;2663422]Not yet.[/QUOTE]

that sucks, should have stayed with pioneer, they atleast release firmware updates

[QUOTE=cvs;2663423]This is not really having anything to do with MCSE given that even the official flasher doesn’t work … you must have some system problem, either hardware or software.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply [B]cvs[/B]!

Great News! I have a bad north-bridge on my motherboard. :disagree: But I fixed the issue by bypassing that set of SATA inputs and using some others on the board. Needless to say, I was able to patch the BH12 and disable riplock.

[B]Results:[/B]

31GB blu-ray was ripped in 19 minutes at a peak rippping rate of 32.8M/s @ 7.6X via MakeMKV (outputting to USB 3.0 WD Mybook). This same rip took over 45 minutes with riplock stuck at 2X. So freaken happy!

[B]Stock BH12LS38 1.0 @ 2X Rip[/B] --> [B]MCSE 1.2.0.10[/B] --> [B]Patched 1.01 @ 7.6X Rip[/B]!!!:clap:

Thanks again to [B]ala42[/B] and the community!

I have a GGW-H20L
it is not in writing BD-R that I have here
how to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit to add support for this media
I can add the information from the DVD Identifier here?
sorry my english
was written by the translator

I updated my LG writer to BH14NS48_N1.00-A4 which worked fine. I then used
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility to dump the firmware using the following:

C:\Users\Too-Bad\Desktop\LG>flasher -D
AVAILABLE DRIVES AND IDs:
Drive ID: 1 Name: iHAS524 B
Drive ID: 2 Name: BD-RE BH14NS48
Drive ID: 3 Name: DVD-RW DVR-112L
Drive ID: 4 Name: Virtual Drive
C:\Users\Too-Bad\Desktop\LG>flasher -d 2 -l firmware.bin 2 00000000 00200000
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 2.
cmd_dumploc: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumploc: Dump process finished
It gave me a 2mb bin file which I can open in MediaCodeSpeedEdit and it gives me many DVD settings only if I have a blank BD-R disk in the drive. If there’s no disk in the drive the settings are blank. It doesn’t give any BD-R settings. Don’t know if this is any help as none of the settings can be changed

can be changed with hex editors
edited to put here so compatible because the media does not write at all
and now it writes the 4x TA very good XD

[QUOTE=manotroll;2670372]can be changed with hex editors
edited to put here so compatible because the media does not write at all
and now it writes the 4x TA very good XD
http://mingersoft.com/blog/2012/05/hacking-a-burners-firmware/[/QUOTE]

You’re talking about something else which has nothing to do with Cyber7’s drive. Hex editing firmware files directly is very dangerous … any changes will mess up the firmware’s checksum.

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2670369]I updated my LG writer to BH14NS48_N1.00-A4 which worked fine. I then used
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility to dump the firmware using the following:

C:\Users\Too-Bad\Desktop\LG>flasher -d 2 -l firmware.bin 2 00000000 00200000

It gave me a 2mb bin file which I can open in MediaCodeSpeedEdit and it gives me many DVD settings only if I have a blank BD-R disk in the drive. If there’s no disk in the drive the settings are blank. It doesn’t give any BD-R settings. Don’t know if this is any help as none of the settings can be changed[/QUOTE]

First, if you used that command then you know that your drive is not one which uses a Renesas chipset … as far as I remember, your drive is based on a Mediatek chipset. It is not yet clear if flasher dumps these firmwares correctly/completely in the first place, and even if it does, flashing one of these firmwares back is an entirely different matter and a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Secondly, MCSE does not support this drive.

Finally, what you said about MCSE behaving differently if you have a disc in the drive or not, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MCSE does not communicate with an optical drive in any way, so it won’t know and it won’t care if you have a disc in the drive or not…

What exactly do you want to achieve anyway? My advice is to leave your drive alone for the time being until proper support for it is added/confirmed for all the tools involved…

flasher --checksum firmware_to_patch.bin

flasher -V firmware.bin
flasher -d -V firmware.bin

[QUOTE=manotroll;2670382]flasher --checksum firmware_to_patch.bin

flasher -V firmware.bin
flasher -d -V firmware.bin[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, but the procedure outlined in the link you posted had no reference to fixing the checksum before flashing the modified firmware to the drive … and the above is for Renesas based drives. Bear in mind that there are also Panasonic and Mediatek based LG drives, which should not be messed up with in this way …

then used the tip of that site before I posted
I addition to the hexadecimal
and used the MediaCodeSpeedEdit to see if the value is correct
you choose an example of media in your photo
let’s say you want to exchange a 2 princordl if it is dvd-r9
and so search the hex editor’s name and follow the example of site
then use MediaCodeSpeedEdit and see if you already changed the id correctly and that the name is not important
if everything is correct and so flasher - checksum firmware_to_patch.bin
and be happy

[QUOTE=cvs;2670379]First, if you used that command then you know that your drive is not one which uses a Renesas chipset … as far as I remember, your drive is based on a Mediatek chipset. It is not yet clear if flasher dumps these firmwares correctly/completely in the first place, and even if it does, flashing one of these firmwares back is an entirely different matter and a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Secondly, MCSE does not support this drive.

Finally, what you said about MCSE behaving differently if you have a disc in the drive or not, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MCSE does not communicate with an optical drive in any way, so it won’t know and it won’t care if you have a disc in the drive or not…

What exactly do you want to achieve anyway? My advice is to leave your drive alone for the time being until proper support for it is added/confirmed for all the tools involved…[/QUOTE]
I just wanted to see what I got with flash. And yes it does have a Mediatek chipset. As for why it only gives info if a blank disk in it is beyond me. If I put in a finalized disk, it’s the same as no disk. It’s got to be flash reading/not reading the drive when it dumps the firmware. I’m hoping that MediaCodeSpeedEdit will ultimately be able to enable bitsetting.

As MediaCodeSpeedEdit doesn’t support MediaTek chipsets (and probably never will, to me it looks to be abandoned), what other (=comparable) tools/options exist out there?
(I’ve got a new BH16NS40 model.)

[mod note: likely in reference to this post… http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-330609/index2.html#post2676589 -Albert]