MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers

vbimport

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2624376]I suspect most of us are concerned with removing the read speed lock for BD’s. That does work quite well on my WH10 and 12 drives. You are right, ripping commercial DVD DL is best left to a modded DL16 Lite-on DVD drive. It is interesting that rip lock remains in force on DVD media. My drive is no different.[/QUOTE]

so your saying the DL16 Lite-on drive is the one to have for ripping? FW modded of course.? i knew i should have come here first before buying a Blu-Ray drive…lol

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2624495]so your saying the DL16 Lite-on drive is the one to have for ripping? FW modded of course.? i knew i should have come here first before buying a Blu-Ray drive…lol[/QUOTE]

Yes you should have :bigsmile:.

Don’t worry, the LG WH10 and WH12 BD-R drives have been very good for burning BD and DVD.

Here’s the deal. Your LG can rip commercial BD video and DVD video out of the box with any of the usual decrypter software like Jim mentioned. But LG has a riplock feature that slows down the read speed of commercial video discs. It reads burned discs at it’s rated speed.

You can use MCSE on your firmware to remove that slowdown for ripping BD’s faster. But the rip speed for commercial DVD’s will be slower than a Lite-on DVD drive, 8x versus 12/16x. If you rip DVD’s regularly, you might want to keep one of your DVD drives installed for that.

I was referring to the Lite-on iHASx24 A DVD-RW drive which is one of the best/fastest DVD rippers with COdeKing’s 18xSL/16xDL read modded firmware installed.

Greetings all, I appreciate the excellent work on MCSE and expert advice on this thread.

I recently purchased a WH12LS39, which others including ala42 earlier in the thread have quoted as probably MCSE compatible. I took an Opti Drive Control transfer test before and after applying a MCSE firmware patch (read speed boost + RPC2 reset), using a commercial BD DL movie disc (Toy Story 3 :)) as well as a commercial DVD.

The DVD test speeds were identical before and after. Interestingly though, the dual-layer Blu-Ray disc I used for the test now shows a marked increase in speed for the first layer, but the second layer has stayed at a much slower speed that’s identical to the pre-flash test. Images attached.

Is this common behavior, or did MCSE maybe patch only a part of what was needed since this drive model isn’t explicitly listed as supported? Or is it maybe just a function of the commercial discs I’m using to test with? I’ve been trying to do my research by reading as much as I can, but I’m still quite new to this.

Appreciate any advice.

Brian

[QUOTE=briankc;2626740]Greetings all, I appreciate the excellent work on MCSE and expert advice on this thread.

I recently purchased a WH12LS39, which others including ala42 earlier in the thread have quoted as probably MCSE compatible. I took an Opti Drive Control transfer test before and after applying a MCSE firmware patch (read speed boost + RPC2 reset), using a commercial BD DL movie disc (Toy Story 3 :)) as well as a commercial DVD.

The DVD test speeds were identical before and after. Interestingly though, the dual-layer Blu-Ray disc I used for the test now shows a marked increase in speed for the first layer, but the second layer has stayed at a much slower speed that’s identical to the pre-flash test. Images attached.

Is this common behavior, or did MCSE maybe patch only a part of what was needed since this drive model isn’t explicitly listed as supported? Or is it maybe just a function of the commercial discs I’m using to test with? I’ve been trying to do my research by reading as much as I can, but I’m still quite new to this.

Appreciate any advice.

Brian[/QUOTE]Welcome to the forum, Brian :flower:

The low read speed on DVD’s is normal. Try to test another BD DL. That graph is normal for a DL BD if the disc quality is not the greatest and the drive must slow down to read the second layer. You will probably see a normal read graph with a different BD DL.

do you have to have the MCSE update to get this drive to work with OPTI Drive Control? when i try to use mine to scan OPTI Drive says it isnt compatible?

or is this just for the quality scanning it cant do?

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2626771]do you have to have the MCSE update to get this drive to work with OPTI Drive Control? when i try to use mine to scan OPTI Drive says it isnt compatible?

or is this just for the quality scanning it cant do?[/QUOTE]

Just not capable of quality scanning. You can perform a transfer rate/read speed test with your burned BD-R to test for bad burns. MCSE read speed increase is only needed to allow the drive to read store bought movie Blurays at full speed.

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2626771]do you have to have the MCSE update to get this drive to work with OPTI Drive Control? when i try to use mine to scan OPTI Drive says it isnt compatible?

or is this just for the quality scanning it cant do?[/QUOTE]

No, it worked for me on the WH12LS39 without throwing an error before I did the MCSE patch.

I did get an error at first when trying to scan a DVD, but it was because the disc’s copy protection still had it locked. I needed to start playing the movie on it first to unlock it before Opti could access the data. Your error doesn’t look like the same one I had there, but you might at least try opening it in your player first just to rule it out. Or maybe try a different disc.

I have a WH12LS39 with original firmware (1.00) no MCSE mod, never flashed and “Disc quality” in Opti Drive Control 1.51 not work.
The error is: “Drive does not support this function”.

I want to replace my 8x LG BD drive, so I bought a 12x ASUS BC-12B1ST drive and it’s slower! I checked to make sure it’s not riplocked, and it’s wasn’t. I will be returning it and going back to LG.

I’m looking for the fastest 12x LG BD drive that can have it’s riplock removed. I do not need burning functions.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

[QUOTE=tyrindor;2639309]
I’m looking for the fastest 12x LG BD drive that can have it’s riplock removed.
[/QUOTE]

Any of them will do. Take your pick. All 10x/12x LG BH/WH models seem to share the same hardware, can be crossflashed in between, and all can be patched in MCSE to remove their riplock and make them Auto-RPC2.

[QUOTE=cvs;2639330]Any of them will do. Take your pick. All 10x/12x LG BH/WH models seem to share the same hardware, can be crossflashed in between, and all can be patched in MCSE to remove their riplock and make them Auto-RPC2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this is really stressing me out. I build computers all the time but these drives are confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure about the 14x drive, because the description claims it only reads at 8x, however the LG site says 14x. I can’t find support for either drive on MCSE and I also can’t find firmware for these drives.

How would I go about removing the riplock if I can’t find firmware?
What drive would you suggest?

[QUOTE=tyrindor;2639331]Thanks, this is really stressing me out. I build computers all the time but these drives are confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-UH12LS29-BLACK-BULK/dp/B007HO548U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340316545&sr=8-1&keywords=UH12LS29 (But it’s a UH model…)

or I can just get this one for $15 more: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-WH12LS39K-Internal-Rewriter/dp/B00632U162/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1340317472&sr=1-1&keywords=LG+12x

However, I can’t find support for either drive on MCSE and I also can’t find firmware for these drives.

How would I go about removing the riplock if I can’t find firmware?
What drive would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

I would definitely go for the WH12LS39. For those $15 extra you get a lot of extra value for money compared to a BD-ROM or COMBO drive.

You can dump its firmware, patch it with MCSE and then flash it back using DevilsClaw’s Renesas Flasher (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137).

[QUOTE=cvs;2639333]I would definitely go for the WH12LS39. For those $15 extra you get a lot of extra value for money compared to a BD-ROM or COMBO drive.

You can dump its firmware, patch it with MCSE and then flash it back using DevilsClaw’s Renesas Flasher (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137).[/QUOTE]

Sorry I edited a little late, see my post again. :o

Would you suggest just getting this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250&Tpk=WH14NS40

Thanks.

[QUOTE=tyrindor;2639334]Sorry I edited a little late, see my post again. :o

Would you suggest just getting this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250&Tpk=WH14NS40

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I’d stay away from the 14x family. They have changed the chipset on their 14x drive family. Now they are based on a Mediatek chipset rather than a Renesas chipset, and that can only mean trouble when it comes to third party support. I sure hope I’m wrong about this, but at this stage I wouldn’t expect any patches to be available for this family in the near future.

[QUOTE=cvs;2639335]I’d stay away from the 14x family. They have changed the chipset on their 14x drive family. Now they are based on a Mediatek chipset rather than a Renesas chipset, and that can only mean trouble when it comes to third party support. I sure hope I’m wrong about this, but at this stage I wouldn’t expect any patches to be available for this family in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch! If you don’t mind, whats the difference between core and main firmware? Which one would I want to dump?

[QUOTE=tyrindor;2639336]Thanks a bunch! If you don’t mind, whats the difference between core and main firmware? Which one would I want to dump?[/QUOTE]

You want to dump and patch the main firmware. That’s the actual firmware. The core part is basically just a kind of bootloader for the drive.

So i’m reading more in to the WH12LS39. The official LG site says “Read and write blu-ray discs at 12x with the WH12LS39” and “12X BD-R Read and Write Capability”, however many sites say BD-ROM read speed is 10x. The UL12LS29 says it’s 12x BD-ROM, and it’s cheaper.

I’m going to mainly be using this to rip BDs to my computer. Is the drive 10x or 12x?

The WH12LS39 rips SL BD’s at 10x. It has a tendency to slow down the read speed well before it reaches the maximum on many SL or DL commercial discs.

Just bought the WH12LS39 drive. Installed it in external enclosure and interfaced it with my mac mini. Using OS x 10.6.8 …ripped bluray movie for backup using DVDfab for mac. Ripped over 45 gb files and then tried to burn a Verbatim BD-R DL disc and got a coaster. Tried same with PC laptop (old Pentium based one) Rip came out fine using DVDFab but tried to burn files on WH12LS39 drive using IMGburn at 2x speed, After burn was completed, IMGburn dialog indicated successful burn was complete but while trying to close IMGburn, I got errors indicating structure errors??.. as it turned out the disc does not load on the WH12LS39 drive and also a standalone bluray player… I am puzzled what to do next.

As You can imagine, Verbatim BD-R DL discs cost me over $4 apiece and I cannot afford to keep making coasters at this rate. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing these errors? Do I need a faster computer?? Is there special settings using IMGburn that I need to consider using this type of drive or disc?..BTW, I used firewire 400 between the WH12LS39 drive and the mac and USB 1.1 with the PC laptop.

Back last December, ala42 was able to help me patch the BP06LU10 HL03 firmware with an RPC2 AutoReset patch; this was an “advanced” patch.
I have just downloaded the latest HL04 update, and the latest MCSE 1.2.0.10 version, but when I open the BP06LU10_HL04.exe file with MCSE, the drive is apparently not recognized and MCSE offers no patch options.
Is there a more advanced MSCE version which would recognize the BP06LU10 drive and patch HL04 firmware to RPC1 or RPC2 Autoreset ?
Thanks in advance.