MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers

vbimport

Perform a TRT with the original and the copy, you may see whats going on.

WOW someone actually replied!!
chef: Pardon my ignorance - not sure what a ‘TRT’ is: Transfer Rate Test?
how do I do it? with what software? what might this reveal that I already don’t know??
Should I / Could I re-flash with the speedpatched bin?

Kind Regards!!

[QUOTE=jeff1948;2622558]WOW someone actually replied!!
chef: Pardon my ignorance - not sure what a ‘TRT’ is: Transfer Rate Test?
how do I do it? with what software? what might this reveal that I already don’t know??
Should I / Could I re-flash with the speedpatched bin?

Kind Regards!![/QUOTE]

Yes, TRT = Transfer rate test.
You need Opti Drive Control or nero disc speed. This will show you the actual speed that your drive can archive when during read of the disc,

Sorry for the late reply.
Vroom was so kind to explain all you need to know. :flower:

@chef: no prob. @vroom, et al:
Since I have the original v1.00 of the main.bin, I am going to re-try MCSE again and re-flash, and shutdown the system. This is easy to do and only takes a minute or so.
Then I’ll download the freeware nero disc speed and go from there.

Still, my original observations of max speed during decription of original disc and copy with speed_patched main.bin should say something??

Kind Regards to all!!

Well, i will be honest, 7.9x is a very good speed, on my review the 12LS35 was only able of less than 5x with dvd-video dual layer media.
So for me the reaching speeds of 7,9x is a very good result, also the max that you can get with most drives on dual layer media is 12x some patched drives from samsung and liteon were able to reach speeds of 16x.

One more thing, original dvd’s have copy protection, and also many manufactures will not allow you to rip at high speeds. Copied DVD’s is a different story, and with copied DVD’s most of the time you are able to get the max read speed of your drive.

@vroom, ala42, cvs, chef:
You may be correct.
However, with anydvdhd running in the background, I used imgbrn to copy my original disc with the suposedly ripspeed patched LG frmware. Attached is the TRT graph for the LG, and for reference, a TRT graph from my speed patched Plex 716A at (which is virtually a duplicate of my Lite-on (not attached). I was expecting the LG to perform at least 12x.
This is really no different from my original observations.
Tomorrow, since I have the original LG firmware, I am going to backflash to the original, perform another TRT, then use MCSE to re-generate a speedpatched version, flash again, and then do another TRT.
Kind Regards to all.

@cvs;@vroom;@ala42;@chef
As I said I would do above, I re-flashed with OEM firmware and also used MCSE to again set rip speed increase and re-flashed again with flasher. In all instances all indications of sucessful flash occured.
first graph is OEM firmware, second is MCSE.
In either case rip speed is the same, ~7.9x, so either MCSE does not do its job, flasher does not correctly dump and/or flash, or there is yet another issue.
Kindest regards to all!!!

Can you tell which SATA controller on the motherboard were used?

Good Morning chef!!
The LG is hooked up to SATA port 5 which is one of 6 SATA ports controlled by the intel P35 / ICH9R chipset, advertised as 3.0 Gb per sec.
I also must remind (from several posts up above) that a backup burned on Verbatim DL rips with the LG at least 12x.to 16x

Kind Regards to all!!!

For the sake of completeness, attached is a graph of the ‘patched’ LG of the Verbatim DL backup.
As I recall, from a long time ago, my Plex 716A WAS riplocked at 2x.

The stock (as well as ‘patched’) firmware of this LG reads original DVD’s at up to 7.9x. Maybe the LG with OEM firmware is really not ‘riplocked’ in the orignl classical sense? Maybe the MCSE doesn’t know how to deal with this?
But, in any event, ripping of original DVD’s is limited to ~7.9x, while backup’s (DL) can go up to ~12x.

Kindest Regards to all !!!

Hi everybody. I have an LG WH12LS39.

I have downloaded the firmware in post #1707 and used MCSE to remove the speedlock and save a new version of the firmware which I have saved to disk as a .bin file. I’m following the instructions in the first post.

I’m good until step #10: Flash the modified .bin firmware or start the modified flasher package.

What tool/application do I use the flash the firmware?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you.

I’ll try.

I flashed my 12L38 drive using method in post #1520 of this thread. Print it out for reference. NOTE: I will not be responsible if your drive gets messed up.

Download the flasher appropriate for your O/S from the souceforge link in the post 1520. There are additional instructions in the .ZIP file.

You need to do step 1) to verify drive’s device ID. it will be a number. Run the flasher at the command prompt. For Win XP: Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. CD if necessary to the location of flasher. ‘flasher -D’ will list all the optical drives.

Then do step 5), substituting path to your speedpatched.bin file name.
During the flashing process, the drive LED light will blink and then go steady. you will also get a message displayed that flashing is complete

Note: Regarding step 6) - it is also reccommended, in another post i can’t find at the moment, to shut down system, turn off PSU and unplug for several minutes. The plug back in, turn PSU on and start system.

Regards and good luck. Let us know if you actually got a ripspeed increase.

Step 6 is important to make things work properly.

@davemweber:
Go up to and read several of my earlier posts in this thread, starting with #1739 I believe.
If you haven’t done so already, before you flash your drive, I reccomend you do a TRT using a commercial DVD with the stock firmware and then repeat the TRT after you flash.

In my case, I did not see a rip speed increase on my 12LS38.

Kind Regards

@CVS - did you get my PM? I don’t seem to get a read speed increase with MCSE.

Regards

I suspect most of us are concerned with removing the read speed lock for BD’s. That does work quite well on my WH10 and 12 drives. You are right, ripping commercial DVD DL is best left to a modded DL16 Lite-on DVD drive. It is interesting that rip lock remains in force on DVD media. My drive is no different.

Thank you for your reply.
Thank you for the confirmation that MCSE does not increase read speed for commercial DVD’s
Kind Regards

So let me get this straight
I just got my very first blue ray burner (wh12ls39) it wont let me rip the disc unless I do this fw update? Will it rip none blue ray disc?

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2624425]So let me get this straight
I just got my very first blue ray burner (wh12ls39) it wont let me rip the disc unless I do this fw update? Will it rip none blue ray disc?[/QUOTE]
Removing the rip lock increases read/rip speed, your LG will rip bluray with bluray copy software (AnyDVD HD, DVDFab ect.) :wink: