MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers

vbimport

Sorry, read it, but it didn’t register, lol.

Well, if you ever get around to it, just being able to see the codes (without changes, speed, or RPC) would be helpful :slight_smile:

The LG BH10LS30 has a newer firmware available.

Media Code Speed Edit says:

Displaying the media code list is not available yet for this LG firmware.
This is the intended behavior and nothing to worry about.
Riplock and RPC2 Auto Reset patches are available by using the checkboxes.

The new firmware is available here: http://www.lg.com/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?DOC_ID=KRSWD000005744&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=BH10LS30_1.01(ew).zip&FILE_NAME=KRSWD000005744-b1-a1.zip&TC=DwnCmd

Maybe you can add support for it, too.
Thank you for your efforts. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=commander_keen;2618750]The LG BH10LS30 has a newer firmware available.
[/QUOTE]

That is the same firmware 1.01 which was released back in July.

As ala42 said earlier in this thread (http://club.myce.com/f91/mediacodespeededit-support-lg-dvd-writers-133858/index4.html#post2600541) MCSE already supports this firmware, and as the message box says:

[QUOTE=ala42;2617462]The core part is identical with the BH12LS35/38 core, btw…[/QUOTE]
Does this mean that it’s currently possible to patch a BH12LS38?

I am considering purchasing a BH12LS38 for ripping my DVD/BD library for archive and playback from HDD. Therefore, I want to be sure that I’m not going to be stuck with a Riplock-crippled drive. As I also have a large number of international DVDs, I don’t want to get locked by region code.

[QUOTE=SpyGuy;2618861]Does this mean that it’s currently possible to patch a BH12LS38?[/QUOTE]

So I downloaded MediaCodeSpeedEdit v1.2.0.10 (03 Oct 2011) and discovered this listed in the change log:

- added support for BH12NS35/BH12LS35 1.01
    - added support for BH12NS38/BH12LS38 1.00

Looks good! But now my question is, how does one get the firmware for either of these two drives (BH12LS35 or BH12LS38)? A search of LG’s support site turned up nothing; the closest I could find was a firmware update for BH12LS30.

Without a source for LG’s original firmware, I don’t see how I can use MCSE for either of these two drives.

Also, when I tried loading firmware for the BH12LS30 (I don’t have this drive, was just testing MCSE with the firmware I got from LG’s website), I got a pop-up notice that states: “Riplock and RPC2 Auto Reset patches are available by using the checkboxes.” Could you please explain how the RPC2 Auto Reset patch works? In other words, what will be the behavior of the drive after the patch is applied and then the DVD region code is changed? Will I have to re-flash the drive after every five changes of the region code to restore functionality? Or does Auto Reset mean that the drive essentially doesn’t care how many times the code is changed?

What does AUTO RESET RPC2 mean???

The region counter will be reset after every restart of the computer.

[QUOTE=SpyGuy;2618863]
Looks good! But now my question is, how does one get the firmware for either of these two drives (BH12LS35 or BH12LS38)? A search of LG’s support site turned up nothing; the closest I could find was a firmware update for BH12LS30.
[/QUOTE]

LG has many support sites, and not all contain the same information … but then LG firmwares can be downloaded from a number of other reputable sources too, so you don’t have to dig up for them on LG’s websites:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/index.php

Since all these drives are based on a Renesas chipset, even if LG hasn’t released any firmwares for them, you could still patch your drive by dumping the firmware from your drive using DevilsClaw’s Renesas Flasher, patching it with MCSE and then flashing the patched firmware back using the same Renesas Flasher …

[QUOTE=cvs;2618751]That is the same firmware 1.01 which was released back in July.

As ala42 said earlier in this thread (http://club.myce.com/f91/mediacodespeededit-support-lg-dvd-writers-133858/index4.html#post2600541) MCSE already supports this firmware, and as the message box says:

[/QUOTE]

When this is from July then chances are very low that the media code list will be supported for this firmware in the future?

[QUOTE=commander_keen;2618916]When this is from July then chances are very low that the media code list will be supported for this firmware in the future?[/QUOTE]

I guess that posts #1714-1720 (the previous 4 posts before your original post) in this thread answer that question …

[QUOTE=cvs;2618900]LG firmwares can be downloaded from a number of other reputable sources too, so you don’t have to dig up for them on LG’s websites:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/index.php
[/QUOTE]
First, allow me to thank you for the very helpful post. After my last post, I did search around some more and discovered a firmware download for the BH12LS35 at firmwarehq.com. But so far, I’ve found nothing for the BH12LS38.

[QUOTE=cvs;2618900]Since all these drives are based on a Renesas chipset, even if LG hasn’t released any firmwares for them, you could still patch your drive by dumping the firmware from your drive using DevilsClaw’s Renesas Flasher, patching it with MCSE and then flashing the patched firmware back using the same Renesas Flasher …[/QUOTE]
I had no idea that was even possible. I thought that the firmware path was one-way (PC -> drive). Never knew the PC could read an image of the firmware. I just read DevilsClaw’s utility post at rpc1.org. Very slick!

One thing I noticed is that DC’s Flasher can extract the main firmware and the core firmware seperately. Questions:

1. Is the core firmware a subset of the main firmware? Or are they two completely seperate binaries?

2. Do I need to extract just one to apply the MCSE patch? If so, which one?

3. If I need to extract both, do I apply the patch to both? And in what order do I flash them back to the drive?

4. I realize there are no guarantees in this game, but is it fairly safe for me to assume that the BH12LS38 firmware is similar enough to its predecessors that applying the MCSE patch to firmware extracted from a BH12LS38 drive will probably be successful (and non-damaging)?

Thanks again for your knowledge and assistance!

[QUOTE=SpyGuy;2618937]
One thing I noticed is that DC’s Flasher can extract the main firmware and the core firmware seperately. Questions:

1. Is the core firmware a subset of the main firmware? Or are they two completely seperate binaries?

2. Do I need to extract just one to apply the MCSE patch? If so, which one?

3. If I need to extract both, do I apply the patch to both? And in what order do I flash them back to the drive?

4. I realize there are no guarantees in this game, but is it fairly safe for me to assume that the BH12LS38 firmware is similar enough to its predecessors that applying the MCSE patch to firmware extracted from a BH12LS38 drive will probably be successful (and non-damaging)?
    [/QUOTE]

5. Not really, they are separate things with separate functions. You can look at the core part as the bootcode of the drive.

2 & 3. Extract both. Keep the core in a safe place - you won’t need it for patching purposes. You only need to patch the main firmware using MCSE and then flash the patched firmware back to the drive using DC’s Flasher … make sure you do a full shut down after flashing the new firmware. Sometimes a normal reboot is not be enough, so make sure you do a full shutdown after you flash a new firmware with Flasher, just to play safe .

1. The latest MCSE can patch BH12LS38 firmwares (like any other [BH/WH]10[LS/NS]3x or [BH/WH]12[LS/NS]3x drives) without any problems.

Thanks again CVS; great information!

[QUOTE=cvs;2618959]2 & 3. Extract both. Keep the core in a safe place - you won’t need it for patching purposes.[/QUOTE]
Probably a good idea to keep copies of both original firmware extractions in a safe place. I suspect that’s what you meant. :wink:

[QUOTE=cvs;2618959]4. The latest MCSE can patch BH12LS38 firmwares (like any other [BH/WH]10[LS/NS]3x or [BH/WH]12[LS/NS]3x drives) without any problems.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if this would also apply to the new BH12LS39 (with it’s support for M-Discs. From what I understand, M-Disc drives use a higher-power laser and have different programming to allow them to etch the “rock” layer in the M-Discs.

Surely not…
M-Discs are are hoax IMO anyway, and its logic that the PUH cannot be the same as it is in the LS38 drive.

[QUOTE=SpyGuy;2619038]I wonder if this would also apply to the new BH12LS39 (with it’s support for M-Discs. From what I understand, M-Disc drives use a higher-power laser and have different programming to allow them to etch the “rock” layer in the M-Discs.[/QUOTE]

Yes it works with BH12LS39 drives too. See ala42’s response to a similar question earlier in this thread (post #1708):

The patches should work as usual with your Wh12LS39 firmware. The patch is smart and offers the checkboxes only if the patch locations are found.
The core part is identical with the BH12LS35/38 core, btw…

There’s a firmware dump available for the WH12LS39 on post #1707 and MCSE recognises the firmware just as ala42 said and both patches are available.

Since WH drives are identical in both hardware and firmware (with the exception of a couple of bytes) to BH drives, BH12LS39 will be supported too.

[QUOTE=cvs;2619117]Yes it works with BH12LS39 drives too. See ala42’s response to a similar question earlier in this thread (post #1708):

There’s a firmware dump available for the WH12LS39 on post #1707 and MCSE recognises the firmware just as ala42 said and both patches are available.

Since WH drives are identical in both hardware and firmware (with the exception of a couple of bytes) to BH drives, BH12LS39 will be supported too.[/QUOTE]
Once again, thanks for the very informative post. It’s nice to know that’s possible, although I’ll probably save the $20 and just get the WH12LS38.

Do you have any opinion on M-Discs?

[QUOTE=chef;2619048]M-Discs are are hoax IMO anyway.[/QUOTE]
May I ask why you say that? Looking at the technology description, it makes sense. Traditional DVD-Rs are based on a thin coating of organic dye that changes reflective properties when exposed to a laser write pulse. It is well-known that these dyes are subject to degradation over time. According to the makers of the M-Disc, the laser actually burns a physical pit in the so-called “rock” layer of the disc. Based on that understanding, it seems to me that an M-Disc should have MUCH greater longevity, if not considered “permanent”.

Apparently, the M-Discs have been tested at Naval Air Warfare Center (NAWC) at China Lake and the discs are living up to the hype. Having worked at NAWC in the past, I find their test results to be credible.

The reviews and tests I have seen show another conclusion.

It’s just another misleading prmise like with archival grade media lasting more than 100 years, its simply not true.

Regarding the LG BH / WH12LS38 firmware and post 1731 - I’m looking at the Renesas website. It’s pretty large. Exactly what application of their’s do I use to dump the …LS38 firmware? Which application to Flash?

Kind Regards

@cvs, @ ala42:
I have an LG WH12LS38(K). I sucessfully dumped the main and core firmware using the flasher utility.

I loaded the ‘main_backup.bin’ into and used MCSE to ‘increase’ speed and saved. I flashed the drive using flasher with main_backup_speedpatched.bin and turned the system off and turned the PSU off.

After about a minute or so I turned the PSU back on and started up the system.

Then I ripped a commercial DL DVD that I own with read speed set to MAX, but the max read speed was about 7.9x.

I burned the files to a Verbatim DL with booktype ROM using ImgBrn.

I ripped the copy with read speed set to MAX and the read speed was about 16x.

I am not sure why the rip speed of an original DVD is only about 7.9x. Any suggestions???

Kind Regards

I could sure use some help with this (post 1739).
Kind Regards