MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers

vbimport

[QUOTE=cvs;2589879]OK, in that case try flashing the drive after you first put it in its ‘safe mode’ state:

• power down the drive (turn it off if its got an off switch at the back or remove the power cable) and disconnect the USB cable from the computer
  • press the eject button of the drive and keep it pressed
  • power on your drive while still keeping the eject button pressed
  • wait 10 seconds
  • release the eject button
  • connect the USB cable to the computer

The drive should now be in safe mode and Windows will see it with a slightly different drive ID, which is perfectly normal. The BH08LS20 flasher should now work OK.

I know these drives have a rather more exotic eject ‘button’ so this might not work, but try it and see if it works or not first.

If the first method doesn’t work, then you’ll have to use DevilsClaw’s Renesas Flasher (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137), which is a bit more complicated: first you’ll have to extract the firmware from the LG flasher package using the -r option. Then you can flash the main part of the *.bin firmware to the drive.

For either method it is important to power down the drive after flashing a new firmware.[/QUOTE]

ok, unfortunately booting in safe mode didnt work like you guessed i tried a few times and gave up.
I downloaded the software you mentioned and and extracted firmware. I have 2 files CORExxx.bin and MAINxxx.bin. I am looking at the readme txt but its a bit complicated. Which one of these 2 files am i going to use? Also in the read me it says something about dumping. I dont know what that means. What should i do now to flash those files?
and i really appreciate your help, very kind of you thanks a lot.

[QUOTE=Colombani;2589883]ok, unfortunately booting in safe mode didnt work like you guessed i tried a few times and gave up.
I downloaded the software you mentioned and and extracted firmware. I have 2 files CORExxx.bin and MAINxxx.bin. I am looking at the readme txt but its a bit complicated. What should i do now to flash those files?
and i really appreciate your help, very kind of you thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

First type (the command is case sensitive, so make sure you use D not d):

flasher -D

That will tell you your drive ID (that would be a number). Let’s say that the drive ID is 2 for example. In your case that might be a different number.

Now flash the firmware using:

flasher -d 2 -f MAINxxx.bin

Obviously if your drive ID is different use that instead of the 2 in the above command.

Power down the drive and next time you connect it to your machine it should have the new firmware on board.

[QUOTE=cvs;2589884]First type (the command is case sensitive, so make sure you use D not d):

flasher -D

That will tell you your drive ID (that would be a number). Let’s say that the drive ID is 2 for example. In your case that might be a different number.

Now flash the firmware using:

flasher -d 2 -f MAINxxx.bin

Obviously if your drive ID is different use that instead of the 2 in the above command.

Power down the drive and next time you connect it to your machine it should have the new firmware on board.[/QUOTE]

well that was easier than i expected, i have succesfully flashed it as bh08ls20 and I just tried with the sony disc and so far it seems it is formatting. Thats awesome news for me :slight_smile: Without your help i would still be wondering around. thank you very much.

Hi ala42: I was wandering if you could support my slim blu-ray BT10N throu MediaCodeSpeedEdit:cool:, which I managed to dump the firmwares (GL02) onto mediafires; the link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6v66p68c42rdpua
I opened with release 1.2.0.9, but the Drive Settings were all greyed out. Thanks in advance

Hi ala42,

It’s been a while since I’ve been to the forum - I helped you beta test some LG GSA-4163B and I must thank you again for your tool.

I just wanted to ask - I have a LG GGW-H20L and I want to play around with BD-R strat swapping. When I do strat swap by double click or even by a manual rename, the strategy doesn’t appear to swap in the tool, and loading the firmware doesn’t swap the strategy either. Will there be any way we can make BD-R strat swapping a reality?

Also, I’ve tried some DVD+RW strat swapping as well, this appears to work in the MCSE window, but the loaded firmware locks the burn speed to 2.4x only as if it’s an unsupported disc.

I realize that strat swapping RW discs is asking for trouble, and strat swapping BD-R discs could be an “expensive” mistake - but I really want to do some experiments, so can you help me?

Do you have a drive that can make BD quality tests ?

Dear ala42,

Unfortunately, no. I don’t have one yet. But I really want to buy one that can - any idea whether the newest lite-ons can do it?

There is no such a drive and no real test equipment available so far for BD quality scans.

[QUOTE=lui_gough;2596275]Dear ala42,

Unfortunately, no. I don’t have one yet. But I really want to buy one that can - any idea whether the newest lite-ons can do it?[/QUOTE]

Yes they can. While it is uncertain whether small differences in quality scans with a consumer drive are significant, a BD-R that scans with a high average error rate will invariably be problematic for me if I try to play it in a set-top player. It has been valuable to me in learning which BD-R brands to avoid.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2596385]Yes they can. While it is uncertain whether small differences in quality scans with a consumer drive are significant, a BD-R that scans with a high average error rate will invariably be problematic for me if I try to play it in a set-top player. It has been valuable to me in learning which BD-R brands to avoid.[/QUOTE]
Ditto :iagree:

Thanks guys, have a few bids on a IHBS212 … hopefully that means a “good” burner coming my way soon … (better than my GGW-H20L) and scanning too :slight_smile:

Dear ala42,

I had a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N that was locked in Zone 1 after 5 changes.
Thank to you I could successfully patch it with the “RPC2 auto reset” as it “reset the counter if it was at zero”.
I am really happy about that and I thank you very much for your amazing work.
The only thing is that the DVD Reader is now set to Zone 1 by default and I mainly watch Zone 2 DVD. This means that each time I put a DVD I have to change the reader from Zone 1 to Zone 2 before I can read it (because of the auto reset).
I have tried repatching it after having set it to Zone 2 but it didn’t make any difference.
Is there anyway I could make it be on Zone 2 by default ?
Thank you and thanks again for your work.

Can you unloc a LG BH12LS38 with this tool? Where do i get the firmware??

[QUOTE=cerunnos;2598565]Can you unloc a LG BH12LS38 with this tool? Where do i get the firmware??[/QUOTE]
The next release supports the LG BH12LS38 drive.

How often are there new releases?

Thanks

When will the release that supports BH12LS38 be avaliable?

Hello Mr. ala42.
I wonder if the next update will support LG GH22NS50 TN02.
I hope you can solve the problem with the memory that I read in one comment to this LG.
I congratulate you on the program is fantastic!
Thank you for creating it!

[QUOTE=maxito81;2599829]Hello Mr. ala42.
I wonder if the next update will support LG GH22NS50 TN02.
I hope you can solve the problem with the memory that I read in one comment to this LG.
[/QUOTE]
The riplock and RPC AutoReset patch work with this drive. Which functionality do you need ?

[QUOTE=ala42;2599843]The riplock and RPC AutoReset patch work with this drive. Which functionality do you need ?[/QUOTE]

Hello ala42, thanks for replying.
The problem I have is as follows:
I need to burn the dvd (RITEKG05) at 4x speed, but (LG GH22NS50) only recorded at 8x.
I had a tape recorder (LG GH20NS10) and allowed me to burn at 4x and 8x with DVD (RITEKG05).
So I need to change the burn speed for this DVD.

RITEKG05 have always caused problems on all kinds of burners. Burning poor disks with a write strategy made for a different disk will cause very poor results.
Why do you need 4x write speed ?
Have you tried the TN03 firmware ?