MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Benq/Philips DVD-Writers

vbimport

It works with the PV9N.bin. Keep in mind that LiteOn has added a mechanism to detect changes and to make the firmware behave strange.

OK, thanks. I did not know that since I’ve been
away from LiteOn for a year and a half, but I’ve
ordered a 160P6S to replace my 1650.

fixed

My condolences to joca…

Hi ala!
Still no Support for Philips DVDR 1668P1
I hawe 1 it is Benq 1655
Original Philips Firmware 1.6 opened with Text Editor says

BENQ2 PHILIPS DVDR1668P1 P1.6 DW1655

My Benq 1655 was a Good One :sad:

The 1660/1668 firmwares are not supported to spare the testing effort. The Philips firmwares do not support PIF scanning. IIRC they scan only at slow speeds, at least the Sony and OEM firmwares do. Technicaly MCSE works with these firmwares, but the missing features and the ability to crossflash to a supported firmware do not encourage me to support the rebadged firmwares.

Well, not that I want you to support the Philips drives, but it might be useful for people who have troubles with the latest firmware releases by BenQ. (I like the new BCIC, besides…)

So they could benefit from updated writing strategies (compared the the old BCD*) and rip at high speed too.

For scanning abilities, most of have more than one drive…

So! It`s time to crossflash. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good afternoon.

I tested MCSPE 1.0.18 with my benq Dw1640 and fw BSRB.

The main problem regarding DVD -RW Verbatim that are originally 4X and with other DVD Burner I always burned at 4X. With DW1640 the settings for this media are greyed (not changeable). Why with other RW media (expeccialy +RW) can change the write speed ?
Have ayou any suggestion about it ?

It is not recommended to change the RW strategies.

[B]@ala42[/B]

Have you conceded in your efforts to equip MCSE for the DW1655 BCIB firmware?

I still have not flashed this firmware in hopes that your efforts will be successful.

The BCIB firmware has demonstrated no big improvement over the previous release so I won’t use it with riplock enabled.

Thanks for your efforts, successful or not.

As said above, during the week I have no time for major changes, so nothings has changed sice the last release.

The BCIB firmware has demonstrated no big improvement over the previous release so I won’t use it with riplock enabled.

The Benq firmwares have no riplock. A 1655 reads DL and RW DVD media at 12x, SL-ROM and R at 16x.

quick question, if it has no riplock, then why is this on your site?

"Supported DVD writers for DVD read speed increasing (riplock patch):
Benq 1610/1620/1625/1640/1650/1655, Philips 1640/16LS type drives

• DVD+R/+RW-R-RW - 6.6x start/16.1x end/12x average
  • DVDROM-DL - 6.1x start/14.6x end/11x average
  • DVDROM-DL - 6.5x start/15.5x end/11.6x average (Benq 1640)"

The term riplock patch applies only for the older drives that are riplocked. The 1610/1620/1625 and it’s rebadge will only read SL and DL at 8x max. With speedpatch it will remove the riplock and increase the read speed as noted above.

For the newer drives, 1640/1650/1655 that has no riplock (12x max DL) it boost the readspeed to max 15.5x for DL. SL remains 16x of course.

A riplock is a fixed read speed deduction for DVD-Video disks to lower the drive noise. Benq drives read video disks at the same speed as data disk if the receiver requests the data fast enough.

ok, i understand, but why have this

"“Supported DVD writers for DVD read speed increasing (riplock patch):
Benq 1610/1620/1625/1640/1650/1655, Philips 1640/16LS type drives”

on the site, it is confusing, from that sentense it basically says the drive does have riplock

I used the term “riplock” so you can find it using the search as no one looks for “read speed increasing” just because it is correct :).

Thanks for the info ala42.

I read your earlier post regarding time on the weekend so please don’t get the impression that we are rushing you.
Your efforts are immensely appreciated.

Based on your efforts and subsequent success with the DW1650 firmware it appeared as if you had conceded in your efforts to achieve MCSE compatibility with the new DW1655 firmware.

From what you have posted, there is no need to speedpatch any of the DW1655 firmware as they are not riplocked by default.

Thanks for the information, new lesson learnt.

The media read at 12x could probably be read at 16x after applying the read speed patch which I did not enable for BCIB in the last MCSE release. This patch is independent from the missing space problem, but it has not been tested yet.

well, i’m going to the previous firmware.

benq with no riplock patch is useless to me

all dvd-video now rip at 2x,