MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Benq/Philips DVD-Writers
MediaCodeSpeedEdit allows you to get even more out of your Benq/Philips burner by applying changes to the official firmware. MediaCodeSpeedEdit also supports models of other manufacturers, see the main MCSE discussion thread for details.
Key features of the Benq/Philips support:
1/ Support for Benq 822/1610/1620/1625/1640/1650/1655 and Philips 885/1640/16LS/1628/1648 DVD writer.
2/ Support for official .exe flasher, .cvt firmware files and unofficial RPC1 patched firmware files.
3/ Increasing the DVD read speed by 50-100% depending on the drive model (riplock patch)
4/ Increasing the DVD write speed by lossless write strategy swapping
5/ Reducing DVD write speed
6/ Replacing of Media Codes with manually entered or imported Media Codes for currently unsupported Media Codes.
7/ Text file export of Media Code and write speed tables.
Using patched firmware might damage your drive and will void your warranty.
The use of MediaCodeSpeedEdit is at your own risk.
BENQ 1610 B8M9,B8T9,B8V9
BENQ 1620 B7P9,B7T9,B7U9,B7V9,B7W9,47L9,47P9,G7P9,G7T9,G7V9
BENQ 1625 BBEA, BBFA, BBGA, BBHA, BBIA
BENQ 1640 BSGB, BSHB, BSIB, BSJB, BSKB, BSLB, BSMB, BSNB, BSOB, BSPB, BEFB, BEGB, BEHB
BENQ 1650 BCDC, BCFC, BCHC
BENQ 1655 BCDB, BCGB, BCHB
BENQ 822 B3LC
HP 400c KH27
HP 630c AH26/CH16
HP 640c ES04/JS04
HP 640v JOU4
PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 Q2.2
PHILIPS DVDR1648P1 P1.2, P2.2-2.3
PHILIPS DVDR1640P P3.2, P3.4-3.6, B3.2, B3.4-3.6, T3.4
PHILIPS DVDR16LS P1.5-1.9
PHILIPS DVDR885P P1.9, P2.0
Supported DVD writers for DVD read speed increasing (riplock patch):
Benq 1610/1620/1625/1640/1650/1655, Philips 1640/16LS/1628/1648 type drives, read speed increases up to 100%
- DVD+R/+RW-R-RW - 6.6x start/16.1x end/12x average
- DVDROM-DL - 6.1x start/14.6x end/11x average
- DVDROM-DL - 6.5x start/15.5x end/11.6x average (Benq 1640)
Benq 822 type drives, read speed increase by 50%
- DVD+R/+RW-R-RW - 5.1x start/12.5x end/9.3x average
- DVDROM-DL - 4.7x start/11.3x end/8.5x average
1/ Download the firmware you want to modify.
2/ Start MCSE.
3/ Load the firmware .exe or .cvt file.
4/ To increase the read speed, simply click the increase read speed checkbox
5/ To increase the write speed, double click the media code you want to change and select the write strategy you want to use instead. This is a bit of trial and error. Check the Changing DVDÂ±R write strategies (results thread) to see if your modification has been tried before.
6/ Save the firmware
7/ Start the modified flasher or flash the .cvt file with WinDWFlash.
- The read speed patch causes problems with some new video DVD-DL disks which are read slowly. Reduce the read speed in your ripping software if you encounter such a disk.
- If you do not reboot after flashing the firmware, the ide driver might switch off UMDA2 mode which is NOT visible in the device manager. The burst rate measured by cdspeed will be about 13 MB/sec, the transfer speed test is limited to 10x read speed. Rebooting will solve this problem, but you can also disable and directly reenable the ide port the drive is connected to in the device manager with the same result. This is a general problem and not related to the changes made by MCSE.
MCSE Homepage MCSE Homepage Mirror Download Changelog Main MCSE discussion thread
This first post has been updated to reflect the current development state of MCSE V 22.214.171.124.